Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"Children of the Emperor! Death to his foes!" - A pre-heresy Emperor's Children plog

Greetings heretics! Welcome to my pre-heresy Emperor's Children project log.

I have recently decided to start an Emperor's Children army, set around about the time when Eldrad tries to warn Fulgrim of Horus's imminent betrayal, and I intend to make it a fluffy army. This mean that whilst my army will include Fulgrim with the Blade of the Laer and unit's which use sonic shriekers, they will be few and far between. I intend to make my force largely of those who would later be betrayed at Isstvan III. This also means that I will not be including many tanks, pieces of artillery or Cataphractii terminators, but will mainly be collecting infantry, jump infantry, jetbikes, etc and using a lot of MKIV armour.

Currently, I have bought/been bought 10 tactical marines, 10 assault marines, the box of two legion praetors (I'll probably use the artificer armoured one as a legion champion or something) and a unit of Palatine blades.

That's probably enough rambling, so onto some of the actual fruits of my painting thus far. I have to admit that I am not a great photographer, but hopefully the photo's I include will be sufficient for you guys! I will appreciate any comments, criticisms and tips you guys have for my painting and photography!

So without further ado, enjoy Palatine Blade squad Aelius and Praetor Sabinus! :eek:k:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Really like your colors on those. Well done! The only thing I don't like (and it's a personal thing) is the glossy look to them. Makes them look "slimy" to me.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yay, update time! Due to the fact that I have not decided to do any uni work yet and had a lot of free time on my hand, I've painted up 5 of a 10 man Legion Assault Marine squad, including their sergeant. Here they are for you guys to enjoy:

Here are some close up's of the individual marines, starting with the sergeant:

Those of use with a decent eye will spot that I used a Nemesis Falcion as his power weapon. I could have gone for an axe or a fist, but I'm trying to make a fluff-y Emperor's Children army and so I figured a sword fitted better.

Anyway, the rest of the squad:

Also, as a general note of what more you can expect to see. I already have 10 MKIV Tactical Marines and 5 more MKIV Assault Marines, so I'll be painting them up steadily. Oh, and I painted up the other (i.e. the artificer armoured one) Legion Praetor. I'll get some photo's of him up soon.

After those, I will probably invest in a 10 man unit of Sun-killers (basically lascannon equipped heavy weapons teams), Phoenix guard (and use them as regular terminators, as I don't own Massacre and I'm not sure I want to pay £70 to be able to use one unit) and at least one Contemptor.

As always comments and criticisms are welcome. Also, if any of you folks go "Hey Deus, you should add/have you thought about adding *this* to your army?" I'd like to hear that too.

Until next time!

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Wow, so I was rather rude and didn't respond. Let me correct that now.

Very nice! I like the way your gold plays with the darker purple you chose!
Thanks :victory: My thought was that when they go full Slaanesh-y they need much brighter purple/pink to help their damaged optical nerves tell the difference so I wanted a darker purple.

Really like your colors on those. Well done! The only thing I don't like (and it's a personal thing) is the glossy look to them. Makes them look "slimy" to me.
See (again, personal taste) I like the glossy look because I think it makes the paintwork look like it's been freshly painted and possibly has a coat of varnish or something applied to it, which strikes me as 'in keeping' with the Emperor's Children's image of not only warriors but artists and sculptors etc.

Anyway, now the holidays are over and my progress has slowed now that I'm back at uni. Still painting up my stuff from Christmas, but I use it as a reward for doing uni work. Something's got to keep me motivated :laugh: Anywho, I finished the other 5 assault marines so now have a complete squad of 10. I'm aware that the photos aren't the best, but hopefully they're good enough for you guys to comment on:

So, I put the slightly odd looking helmet (well, odd looking to me) on the guy with 2 chainswords because I thought it had a might less elegant look to it which matches the aesthetic of a guys wielding two chainswords.

So, I put the slightly odd looking helmet (well, odd looking to me) on the guy with 2 chainswords because I thought it had a might less elegant look to it which matches the aesthetic of a guys wielding two chainswords. I honestly am much happier with this second lot of 5 guys in terms of poses. I think they look more dynamic and actually more realistic, almost like they're a freeze frame of some assault marines in battle. I also did some highlighting on them, which came out rather well and doesn't make the models look too light as I had previously feared, so I will go back and highlight the rest of the guys I painted.

Here are a few groups shots of both the full squad and all I've painted thus far:

And that's all I have for you so far folks. Next I'm working on a 10 man tactical squad to complete my 1 HQ, 2 Troops minumum. In future I plan to buy some proper Emperor's Children should pads and a boarding shield to fit on my Artificer armoured Praetor, but that will be after I've painted up the tacticals most probably.

As always, C&C are welcome and I hope you guys enjoy the update! :eek:k:

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alrighty just a wee update for you guys, one I'm hoping to get some comments on. I've had a go at free-hand painting the Emperor's Children emblem on the shoulder pad and (whilst it's hard to see because the boltgun hides it) the Palatine aquilla on their chest-plate and it'd be great if I could get your feedback on it. So here's the first of 10 tactical marines for your viewing pleasure.

·
Heresy Online's Pet Furby
8,723 Posts
Great work on that guy! :good:

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Great work on that guy! :good:
Cheers Tawa

Not much of an update again. In fact, this is barely an update. I tried out the legion symbol on another tactical marine (not featured, but will be when I finish this batch of 5) and I'm happy enough with the consistency of it's shape and size that I'm going to free-hand paint it on instead of buying the shoulder pads from FW, meaning I have more money for actual dudes :victory:

Also, I purchased this gem as the boarding shield for my artificer armoured centurion/praetor:

It measures 20mm (width) by 29mm (height) so it's roughly the same dimensions as a boarding shield. Well, it's bigger than a combat shield at any rate which is the important thing. Sadly, since Chapterhouse are in the US and I'm in the UK it might take a bit for it to get here. But hopefully by then bitsandkits will have restocked on phoenix spears and I can purchase on of those as well!

That's all for now. I'll try and have a real update for you soon :eek:k:

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
"Children of the Emperor! Death to his foes!" - A pre-heresy Emperor's Childr...

Edit: Thanks Khorne's Fist. I appreciate your appreciation!

Sorry, again only a mini update. I was trying to finish the 5 men I've been working on before I went home for the weekend, but sadly I am 2 legion emblems painted and 3 models highlighted short of that goal. However, I do have some pictures of the one of the free hand aquillas I've been painting on the chest of the 3 which otherwise have plain chest plates (one already has a small aquilla and the other has a skull). Hope you enjoy and as always, C&C welcome :eek:k:

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, it's been a while since I gave you guys an update but, as promised, this is a a proper update. I have finished my Legion tactical squad, and here it is for your viewing pleasure!

As you can probably see from those pictures and the other ones, I've painted the Palatine Aquilla on all of their chests, trying to keep in line with the Emperors Children's fluff. I also painted the legion symbol on all of their shoulders. My plan is to re-do my assault marines with the Legion symbol and the Aquilla on their chests. Anyway, enough of my plans.

The next part of the update is my Legion Centurion. I haven't managed to secure the Phoenix Spear he will be armed with, but the boarding shield from Chapterhouse studios is attached. Here he is:

Now, apart from buying some Legion Heavy Support squads, Apothecaries and Phoenix Guard to build up to 1500 points, my immediate project is dependent on this wonderful tool I purchased recently:

It's a 3mm diameter pin-vice which I am using to magnetize various components and models. At the moment, I am in the process of magnetizing my Palatine Blades and Centurion so I can swap out their regular backpacks for jump packs when I need them to. Currently the backs of all of them are magnetized like so:

I cannot believe I never bothered to magnetize things before now, and now I am incredibly glad I am. I magnetized the boarding shield as it stays on better that way instead of just trying to convince it to stay on with glue.

So, yeah that I what I have been up to lately. I hope you have enjoyed seeing my progress in this project and I look forward to any comments or criticisms you guys offer me :eek:k:

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Looking good. I've always thought if I was going to do a 'Traitor' legion it'd be Emperors Children. They have some really nice models from Forge World. Looking forward to seeing your Phoenix Terminators.
Thanks for the kind words Asamodai :so_happy:

Now, I do have a pressing question. I recently got given some money from some loved ones and I have a choice to make. I could buy two 5-man heavy weapons teams (one which I would give lascannons and the other volkite culverins) and two apothecaries, which will help me towards my 1500 points list I'm working towards...on the other hand I could just buy a 5 man Phoenix Guard squad and Fulgrim the Illuminator.

So, what do you guys think; misc heavy weapons and apoths or Fulgrim and Guards?

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
The practical answer is definitely the heavy weapons. You won't feel the same buzz when you get them, but once they're made and painted you'll probably feel you made the right choice. They'll be dependable and something your army can always consist of, whereas Fulgrim and the Terminators are more 2k+ and Apocalypse-level. They'd look very pretty, but I'd say stick to your goal! :eek:k:

Also, nice painting! I'm also collecting Pre-Heresy EC but I've gone for a metallic rather than ceramic purple look. It sounds odd described like that but I like it (hooray washes!), but this scheme does look much more striking. MOAR!

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Not much of an update, but I made a decision...I went for the practical option. In that vain, here's what came in the post today:

I also ordered a set of 5 Volkite Culverins and 2 apothecaries. When I get money I'll be purchasing some other goodies, such as a 5 Lascannon heavy weapon team, more tacticals and a unit of 5 phoenix guard which I will use as regular terminators in smaller points levels.

I'll post more when I have more to show. Until then :victory:

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I figured I'd give you lovely folks an update. I have had exams these past few weeks and will continue to do so for about another week and a half. However, in order to stop myself going quietly round the bend, I've found brief moments to work away at some models. So, behold, the first of the two apothecaries. He still needs some highlighting done and maybe some work on a few patchy bits of white, but he's mostly done. Enjoy!

1 - 20 of 72 Posts