Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
i found out that using toilet paper dunked in a 50/50 water to glue mixture and then place it on a base made form a old video game case. i cut it into a abstract shape using a box cutter. then using about two or three sheets of toilet paper at a time dunking it i and placing it on your base. onec placed on the base shape it up to whatever shape you wish. I personally like making them into craters but you can also make interesting hills and other objects The only real draw back to this method is that it can take up to three days to dry these secnery pieces. after dried i usually use a black spray paint to coat it for its first layer after that i but on a dark brown or any brown you have will do as long as after you but another layer on top of it it looks great.

* Needed
-50% water 50% glue mixture
-toilet paper
-base
- black spray paint
- brown paint
-lighter brown paint
- and 3 days patience

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
lol yeah but i didn't know that when i started playing and i was just trying to tell the others who didn't kno but yeah lol maybe ill post some pictures of my craters later it

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ive tried using small rocks but thats a very interesting idea ill try that next time but i feel that wont be for a while

·
Registered
110 Posts
what about making cool ruins, temple or a bunker with foam or thick card. then stick it on a foam rocky base.(make it high up) With a ramp or stairway upto it. cover with your toilet mache. Add some gravel bits, maybe some thin card for metal steps or plates on the wall or even some mesh windows, could even find some easyfix plaster in the garage and add some texture to the walls/floor. Then wack some paint on!

i bet that would look good and would cost nothing and you could make endless amount of scenery. well the pva glue and robbing a pizza box and a chunk of foam from someones recycling bin. (asking is adviced)

Lets all go make one and stick a pic up im going to have a go aswell. brb!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Made it! its a baracade thingy with debri, once dry could add some bits to it. was fun making it and i totally forgot how fun playing with mache was. I added some sand to the mix and sprinkled more on top and dripped the pva mix on it. i used a offcut bit of foam as the base - some card bits for the metal wall and the debri is anything that looks like it might be something at 40k scale. ill show a painted pic once its dried out.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
lol sweetness man

·
Registered
254 Posts
For cheap buildings and bunkers use polystyrene packaging inserts.

I've built bunkers and strongholds from the polystyrene inserts in a DVD player's box, a remote controlled helicopter etc etc.

Look at my signature below and click on 'Terrain Pieces' to see how I make my own 'style' of bunker using builder's sand and glue.

If you look at my 'Restored Scouts' thread on my signature, you'll see a tower (as yet unfinished) in the pics behind the Scouts.
I made the tower using the polystyrene packaging from a 'mandle candle' using the same techniques mentioned in 'Terrain Projects'.

Builder's sand costs nothing if you ask local builders nicely for a bagfull and it's incredibly fine, as long as you run it through a seive to remove any little pebbles.

You'll notice as well, the little stones on my restored scout's bases.
They are actually stones. They're those 'bottles' of 'decorative sand' that stupid girls buy to cover the soil in houseplants.
I bought them from one of those 'sell everything' shops (similar to Au Naturale, B&M's or Woolworth's etc) for something like £1.

Just some of my own ideas.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i finally got the couple i made up :) and i like the creativity whiskey

·
Registered
110 Posts
how are you painting these? the first one with the necron is clay like (mine went a bit like that) but the other 3 i think look pretty good. that shade of brown i like looks very effective.

looking at mine more, could do with different colors and lengths of flock(grass) would give it a better result but i dont plan on useing it as i have city boards.

Anyway what shall we make next necron!! ??

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
well right now im making a factory terrian piece out of a can you can look it up in the apocalypse rulebook and miniwargaming.com has a youtube channel miniwargaming. were they make one step by step
honestly they gave me the idea for this project as well and have many others i just havent gotten to or have supplies for

for the first one it is the 2nd one just in a different screenshot and angle
and the paints i used were testors brown i guess and i put it on with a heavy drybrush and then a tan on top using a slightly lighter drybrush and their all made from the paper mache mixture i posted

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
lol yeah i guess that would be the cheapest terrian ever but its just not creative enough for me

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
lol i do have heroscape stuff i use for terrian

1 - 20 of 23 Posts