Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Has Dain Brammage
157 Posts
I say we burn someone at the steak!!!!!

*gets out pitch forks and torches*

Plenty for everyone!
mmmm....steak. Did you mean stake perchance Witch King?

Indeed it is a sad day, I wonder if it's got anything to do with the site going down around 5 hours ago?

·
Banned
5,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
mmmm....steak. Did you mean stake perchance Witch King?

Indeed it is a sad day, I wonder if it's got anything to do with the site going down around 5 hours ago?
No steak....Go Cook me some, maybe it also has something to do with the new add that tells me to write my name in to win a "prize".......Oh god it wants are souls!!!!:crazy:

·
Registered
5,539 Posts
It's gone. The reason the site went down earlier is because the Chat screwed up and as far as we know so far it'll be staying gone because of the amount of bandwidth that it chews up. We'll be looking for an alternative method in the future that's less server-intensive. Sorry dudes.

·
Banned
5,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ah devo (devastated), chat was an excellent addition to the site, and the sooner an alternative is found the better
yup this gives me a reason not to donate! (besides the fact im totally broke lol) How ever is $3000 is raised like jez seems to want to i don't see how chat would be a big deal....1500 pounds is LOTS OF MONEY and could easily go to making a server able to run chat and so on with out a problem.

·
Death Before Dishonour
1,430 Posts
It was to my opinion that a Forum Announcement should be posted concerning the reasons for the removal of Chat, so I've shot Jez a PM, suggesting this.

@WK; MSN could serve as a temporary replacement, but in the longterm, it would be a hassle, plus not every Heresy member my have MSN, so a easy system like Chat, may she rest in peace, was.

Grish

·
Banned
5,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If i knew wtf a meebo was i would say sure why not.....there is always the OOOLLLLDDDD Irc if its still around though.

·
Death Before Dishonour
1,430 Posts
Ploss had a look at Meebo, does it like...sync all the different communication channels into one? it could be worth a try, though I'm sure the aim will be to reduce bandwidth use of a new chat system

·
Slave to Heresy!
8,803 Posts
yup this gives me a reason not to donate! (besides the fact im totally broke lol) How ever is $3000 is raised like jez seems to want to i don't see how chat would be a big deal....1500 pounds is LOTS OF MONEY and could easily go to making a server able to run chat and so on with out a problem.
The server I'll need to run the site if we don't trim non essential crap is $300 per month.

$2200 (not $3000) doesn't even pay for 6 months when you factor in the army showcase that the coder is working on now, vBulletin licenses and other features as and when I see a need for them. This is a discussion forum, not a chatroom - when the chat starts to kill the server it's time to get rid. As stated, there are alternatives that I will be looking into - please don't second guess the finances of the site because you really haven't got any idea what it costs to run a forum with our traffic and spec. Gone are the days of $10 shared hosting.

·
Señor Member
563 Posts
I don't know if this would help; but what about mIRC? Is it still around? Just pick a random server, make a channel and link to it, I thought it'd be the same as current and free?

·
Banned
5,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The server I'll need to run the site if we don't trim non essential crap is $300 per month.

$2200 (not $3000) doesn't even pay for 6 months when you factor in the army showcase that the coder is working on now, vBulletin licenses and other features as and when I see a need for them. This is a discussion forum, not a chatroom - when the chat starts to kill the server it's time to get rid. As stated, there are alternatives that I will be looking into - please don't second guess the finances of the site because you really haven't got any idea what it costs to run a forum with our traffic and spec. Gone are the days of $10 shared hosting.
Well this depends if you own the server your self or not, most people i know have given up paying for a server and instead just built there own well arranging for a faster internet connection. This might be a good way to save some money.

I don't know if this would help; but what about mIRC? Is it still around? Just pick a random server, make a channel and link to it, I thought it'd be the same as current and free?
This also could work how ever wouldn't we still need to link it through someones server which we don't have?

·
Like a Bawss
4,111 Posts
As another suggestion for an alternative (although I honestly have no idea how this shit works), another website I use has a program called "the shoutbox." It's not quite as sexy as chat was, but the absence of the bling would significantly cut down on the bandwidth issues that surface when trying to keep the price range at ~reasonable.

·
Slave to Heresy!
8,803 Posts
Chatboxes are a huge no no, they use Ajax and constantly refresh the text within the box. if anything they're worse than the flash chat, we used one for a while but it had to go.

Getting a server for home is a definite possibility though, I'll have to look into that option. My internet connection is pretty fast although I'm not sure how fast it needs to be.

Cheers mate! :)

1 - 20 of 61 Posts