Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now for some pretty cool news from my end of the warp!

I was having a conversation with on of the nurses at work about my hobbies whilst I was ready 'Fulgrim' on my break. She told me that her eldest son used to do the hobby but 'grew out' of it. Now normally i'd of taken slight offence at this but then she said these magic words:

"I've got un-opened boxes for the science fiction ones at home would you like them?" I of course said, "of course what would you want for them?" Then the next bit of awesomeness was she wanted nothing!!!!!!!!!

The next day I was presented with a MKIII Razorback and a squad of scouts! which nicely boosts my army for no money! and now she is going to give me more of them when she gets the chance to bring them in.

Oh.... There is also the face she has a carry case full of SM's hopefully I'll have a massive army to 'repaint' to my colour scheme!

:eek:k:

·
Great Unclean One
2,611 Posts
posting from work

Same happened to me - a mate of mine here at my soon-to-be-over job gave me roughly the same 'box of something weird in the attic' line, and than brought in what turned out to be a Space Crusade box with a ton of the vintage SC figures and also four SC dreadnoughts :biggrin:

·
Registered
816 Posts
Dude! That's amazing! I always wonder when driving by a garage sale or estate sale sign if I'll stumble onto a hidden cache of 40K goodness with people who are highly motivated to get rid of that "junk."

Hasn't happened yet... but one of these days! :biggrin:

·
Unfinished Project King
7,409 Posts
I keep my fingers crossed that the same will happen to me.... The best I usually get is a good bits bin find at the FLGS.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
I recently turned up at a mate's place, and another of my friends just gave me his 2.5-3k Space Marine army. Turned out he was moving, and didn't really want to have to deal with his Tau or Marines (the Tau went to another friend).

·
I am Alpharius.
8,375 Posts
:shok: [Crosses fingers] May the same thing happen to me...

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Something similar happened to me last year, my brothers mate had some stuff that he had stored away not seen the light of day for a good few years, well he gave me them for free, searched through the salvageable stuff, got 2 chaos marine tac squads, plague marine squad, landraider, rhino, 3 oblits, 1 classic 2 current ones and a hell of alot of spares. nice boost to my army lol.

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
1500pts+ of Guard, well painted, some Dark Angels (Ten of the old Terminators, they're so small!), 1500pts+ Chaos Space Marines, fairly painted, four Necron Warriors with Catachan heads on 'em, Tau battleforce, built and painted, the 2nd Ed. starter box, painted, Cityfight board.

Best Christmas present EVER.

Midnight

·
Critique for da CriticGod
3,351 Posts
Heh, I've had this happen both ways.

Once when visiting this antiques 'mall' [building with old people selling lots of their old stuff in little stalls], an older guy had a mound of old file boxes full of gaming miniatures, mostly 40k some warhammer and some other games. I picked up a large size miniature case, mounted fantasy lord of nurgle, part of an unpainted undead army, chaos chariot, and several blisters of nurglings for 30 us dollars.

And I also have a standing offer of a used tyranid army from my friend's attic. But I haven't had the time to pick it up and either repaint or sell it. I can't even pretend to keep up with my own miniature projects. I have Chaos projects stretching back several years on my desk now. =/

·
Registered
697 Posts
I've been hoping for this to happen to me - but more with bits than minis. I plan on buying a bunch of random SM kits for bits as soon as an insurance claim goes through (which could be months and months as my back is showing little to no improvement). I want to create my own SM Chapter, full of fun conversions and bit bashed goodness, but being out of work for the time being, the best I can do is plan, write fluff, and plan some more. Maybe luck will find me and I will stumble upon some free goodies or win one of those addicting bullshit lotto scratchers :p

·
Super Moderator
10,978 Posts
I usually do this. When I feel that a model has gotten "old," I replace it and give the old one away. Usually my conversions, and usually because I think of a way to do it better.

I bought a trygon, a carnifex and a set of dragon wings to make a nid harpy. A few months back I gave it away because I figured out how to make one better.

And I occasionally give away unopened boxes that were purchased at a moment of weakness. Like that time I bought a GK terminator. Good model, but still three days later I looked at it and thought wtf...

·
Registered
697 Posts
And I occasionally give away unopened boxes that were purchased at a moment of weakness. Like that time I bought a GK terminator. Good model, but still three days later I looked at it and thought wtf...

Thats how I felt when I bought Asteroth...used the wings for a conversion, the rest went right into the bit box. Wasn't as cool of a model as I had initially thought lol

1 - 13 of 13 Posts