Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Executive Nitpicker
8,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a little embarrassing, but it's something that has never really come up til now.

During a recent game with a friend, we ran into a bit of a rules snarl. The game is over and, as it turned out, the result of our decision wouldn't have really changed anything but I'd like to sate my curiosity on the matter, in case it comes up again.

What is the charge distance for Bikes (or Jetbikes for that matter)?

Both of us initially assumed it was 6" because almost everyone charges 6" even jump infantry. But I wasn't sure, so I looked it up. (I don't use regular bikes and I usually never charge with attack bikes, so it never came up before) Nothing in the rules for bikes said they only charge 6" Similarly, nothing in the assault rules said that everyone charges 6" unless otherwise noted.

In fact, the only mention of charging distance was that you must move in a straight line, 'using the least amount of its available movement' and that the rest of the unit then moves into combat, up to their maximum Assault movement. Nowhere does it define what that maximum movement is.

So am I right in assuming that everyone's charge range is the same as their normal move range, unless otherwise noted?

If everyone assaulted 6", then why are jump infantry singled out? The only time assault range is mentioned in the unit special rules entries are for Beasts and JPs, and in both cases they assault at a range other than their normal movement range.

For the record, we went with 6" for that game.

I asked on B&C and with a couple of friends ang so far all I;ve gotten is "well, everyone charges 6" and then when asked where it says that, nobody;s been able to give me an answer.

·
Registered
135 Posts
It says in the rulebook that bikes are treated as non-vehicle units but in some cases treated differently than normal infantry. So I assume that other than the changes that are stated they function as normal infantry. So only a 6" move in the assault phase.

·
Inquisitor
963 Posts
Page 36.. first paragraph last sentence... Units assualt 6" unless specified otherwise.

·
Executive Nitpicker
8,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Page 36.. first paragraph last sentence... Units assualt 6" unless specified otherwise.
Thank you!

I kept getting people saying they knew it had to be 6", but nobody could remember where the hell they read it. I was beginning to think people were simply assuming it to be true.

Don't know why I didn't spot it, I swear I read the assault section three times. Though, admittedly, I focused mostly on the movement section.

Shouldn;ve known never to look at the most logical place in a GW book ;-)

·
Inquisitor
963 Posts
Hehehe.. yeah some rules are there and you just cant see them even if they have big bold words... I read through 5 times to try and find where it says that MC get to shoot 2 weapons.. then I finally noticed the bold heading about it lol :)

But given GWs method of writing rules I wouldnt put it past them to forget a rule as people take certain things for granted as "that has always been the way its played".

·
Registered
59 Posts
6" Assault move.

A horse can run faster than a bike apparently...
Ha, that is funny, never realized that. How come bikes assault 6" but calvary can assault 12"? I think GW should change bikes to a non-vehicle calvary unit.

·
Inquisitor
963 Posts
Cause you can use spurs on your heels to get horses to run pretty fast but they tire out carying all them troops/weapons/wargear... ergo they only do so when assualting..

On the other hand bikes are hard to control and attack with which is represented by not being able to use 2CCW in HtH while on a bike and only assualting 6" (think about trying to manuever so you dont crash your bike while running over & slashing combat weapons at somebody).... sides if a bike could Move 12 and Assualt 12 it would be insanely overpowered.

·
Executive Nitpicker
8,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Speaking of 'we've always played that way...'

Apparently bikes got easier to control in 4th edition, because I know for a fact that the restriction on attacks was removed.

In fact, every chaos biker comes with a boltpistol and a chainsword, as of the latest codex.

I'm guessing they must jack the controls into the power armor now, or maybe steer with thos emysterious foot pedals on the floorboard ;-)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Cause you can use spurs on your heels to get horses to run pretty fast but they tire out carying all them troops/weapons/wargear... ergo they only do so when assualting..

On the other hand bikes are hard to control and attack with which is represented by not being able to use 2CCW in HtH while on a bike and only assualting 6" (think about trying to manuever so you dont crash your bike while running over & slashing combat weapons at somebody).... sides if a bike could Move 12 and Assualt 12 it would be insanely overpowered.
Yeah, but they are high in points, and I've never really found them useful, so maybe adding a little something would justify their points cost. I agree that charging 12" would be too much though.

·
Inquisitor
963 Posts
Wow.. your right.. I cant find any mention of the "one hand" rule anymore... interesting... Thanks for pointing that out Gal!

·
Executive Nitpicker
8,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You learn somehting new every day, no matter how many times you read the book. I only just learned the other day that every IC comes with Move Through Cover and Skilled Rider.
Who knew?

Anyhow, I don't know...I think a 12" charge would make them actually worth their points.
Can't think of any other reason I'd pay that much for a downgraded jump pack with +1T and smaller squads.

·
Registered
135 Posts
For those of you who don't know the reason they are more points than a jump pack is because they have overcharged engines. Here is an example of how the bike can be used in a crazy but effective way. Provided you aren't playing against a purely close combat army.......(like I do (sigh))

Lets see I am going to move my HQ on a bike 24" the entire way across the field and if you want to assault him, he is just like any other HQ but with +1 toughness. Oh and if you want to shoot at him, he has a 3+ invulnerable save, and by the way i play chaos so he is actually a Tzeentch Sorcerer with a Force weapon and the psychic power Warptime so I get to re roll all to hits and to wounds, and if this isn't good enough, because he has the mark of Tzeentch and went over the 18" on the bike his 3+ invulnerable save is now a 2+ invulnerable save (if you want to shoot him....) Otherwise he just has a 4+ invulnerable save (3+ Armour), three wounds, I 5, A3+1 for two ccw (with a force weapon!)

To tell you the truth if I didn't know I would be facing a Blood Angel army every time I play, I would totally run this....

Don't mock the bike. They are definitely worth their points if used properly.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts