Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question 1:

Just read the chapters due not bad, Certainly not awesome but again not bad. I was just wondering if the 1st, 2nd, 5th, and 6th company were the major players in the fighting. What where the remaining companies do any ideas?

Question 2:

is high or low Gothic considered as modern day English? or an other language all together?

Question 3:

Pappa smurf vs Grimnar would would win?

Cheers fellas

·
Registered
40 Posts
Neither High nor Low Gothic are a moden spoken language. English is considered one of the ancient tongues of Terra, which would be all major langues spoken today.

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
Question 1:

Just read the chapters due not bad, Certainly not awesome but again not bad. I was just wondering if the 1st, 2nd, 5th, and 6th company were the major players in the fighting. What where the remaining companies do any ideas?

Question 2:

is high or low Gothic considered as modern day English? or an other language all together?

Question 3:

Pappa smurf vs Grimnar would would win?

Cheers fellas
1) I've yet to read the novel myself (blasphemy I know but I'm a couple of books behind on my list of literary to purchase), but from your description I would hazard the guess that the other Companies were fulfilling the Ultramarines obligations else where in the Galaxy- you don't become one of the most renowned Chapters in the Imperium by sitting on your arse waiting for the bad stuff to come to you.

Maybe they were too far away from Ultramar to return in time to help out in the events that occurred in Chapter's Due?

2) High Gothic is represented as a quasi-latin, possibly because Latin these days is used only in ceremonies of a solemn religious or scientific manner, whilst Low Gothic is depicted as English- neither variation of gothic would actually be anything like the languages chosen to represent them, those were just chosen for the readrs interpretation.

3) Either, Or...I'll put it another way- I wouldn't bet against either one.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
1- 10th was fighting with them but it was dissolved throughout the fighting companies as recon not a fighting company as for the others I don't remember (Which is a little depressing I read it three days ago...I think LSD is messing with my memory)

2- Low seems to be the form of english that every uses while High is meant for the "Elegant" rulers and upper class/badass soldiers (SM, I, and SoB)

3- I want to say Grimnar but look at my Main Army and you can kinda see my prejudice

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,044 Posts
Papa Smurf is............... The big G man. Primarch guy... bald, kinda ugly. I would say him if thats who you mean. If you mean calgar.... he will lose in combat.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
wait what?

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,044 Posts
That moniker, Papa Smurf, is typically used when referring to the primarch of the Smurfs.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
oh ok I was a little confused at first xD

·
Super Moderator
6,993 Posts
That moniker, Papa Smurf, is typically used when referring to the primarch of the Smurfs.
No, in my experience its used as a reference to Calgar, not Guilliman. In my last decade of playing, your the first person I have even seen suggesting that Guilliman would be him when using the smurf title/insult for the Ultramarines. (I have seen lists where Calgar is put down as papa smurf.)

Can't answer question one, because I have not read that book.

2. What Baron said, thats pretty much it.

3. Right so a hard as nails chapter master who was at the forefront of defeating a hive fleet, or a hard as nails viking chapter master who wa at the forefront of fighting a daemon primarch and then proceeded to butt heads with the inquisition when they turned around and wiped out any non astartes survivors for what they had witnessed.

To be perfectly honest, I'm a Space Wolf player but I'd say Calgar. He's not nearly as old, but he's just as hated in some circles and he has endured much more pain than Grimnar at a single point. (I don't recall Grimnar losing multiple limbs in one encounter and living to tell the tale.)

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,044 Posts
I have never seen calgar refrenced as papa smurf. Everyone I have ever seen use it have been talking about Gilly. Which makes more sense tbh but that's beside the point. Calgar would lose. And wouldn't the fact he lost that bad indicate grimnar would win? Lol

·
Super Moderator
6,993 Posts
Keep in mind that though he lost the fight that saw all of his limbs and a portion of his face destroyed, he survived that encounter and is still a deadly warrior.

He also fought and lost to the Swarmlord, but lived to tell the tale (though this is largely because of his honour guard and the sacrifice of the head of the guard; fact remains he still survived the encounter.)

·
Registered
716 Posts
Thats a considerable amount of losses for Papa Smurf. lol losing limbs and what not. I dont think that qualifies as better warrior cause it means you messed up big time, unlike Grimnar who i haven't heard of him losing any limbs. But as they say Losing is learning and Winning is Teaching. :p So either Papa Smurf is a very good warrior and he just learnt a couple of lessons from losing something which will make him better experience wise or he just got his butt kicked badly.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
I can see were you are going with the Papa Smurf surviving means bad ass but the best Ive seen him do is BS beat a Avatar of Khain. As you said he lost bad twice. Grimnar on the otherhand face the DP Primarch and his posse and held them off for the 100 GKs to sacrifice themselvs to beat. Plus Grimnar is older and for SMs who dont grow weaker as they age (Look at Dante and talk) Grimnar has Experiance that reaches past Calgar. I just dont see double PF beating EW Grimnar :wink:

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
I can see were you are going with the Papa Smurf surviving means bad ass but the best Ive seen him do is BS beat a Avatar of Khain. As you said he lost bad twice. Grimnar on the otherhand face the DP Primarch and his posse and held them off for the 100 GKs to sacrifice themselvs to beat. Plus Grimnar is older and for SMs who dont grow weaker as they age (Look at Dante and talk) Grimnar has Experiance that reaches past Calgar. I just dont see double PF beating EW Grimnar :wink:
It's never stated, or even hinted, that Grimnar faced Angron and his bodyguard let alone held them off- he was on the ramparts of the Imperial defence line when the GK faced off against the Daemon Primarch and his Bloodthirsters.

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,044 Posts
He held them at the river. Never faced them though, he wouldn't have stood a chance. Best he could have done was wound the primarch. TBH I think grimnar is the better fighter.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
hey Ragnar sent Magnus back to the warp in one of the SW books by throwing Leman Russ's spear and hitting Magnus in the eye (Owned)

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,044 Posts
Hey guys, Barney was purple! See its annoying when I make irrelevant comments too isn't it? Yes its is.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
well that was meant to be a if a common soldier was able to do it why couldn't the bloody chapter master?

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,044 Posts
He threw a stick at the right time.... YAYYY! BTW its two chapter masters fighting eachother.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
hey be fair it was a pointy stick xD

1 - 20 of 21 Posts