Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So with the new SM codex we have chapter relics and a lot of chatter on various forums about stacking
relics ( shield eternal + burning blade etc )

Nothing in the character stats refutes this , they merely state you can take ITEMS from the relics list

so all good for the moment , yes :) well actually no

pg 159 chapter relics and the important line " only one of each chapter relic can be taken per army ( still all good ,but its the next bit that's the bite ) A MODEL CAN REPLACE ONE weapon with ONE of the following "

so no multiples , its pretty clear you can only take one relic by replacing a weapon for it .

also your losing a weapon for the shield or the armour ( losing an attack if your talking power weapon /pistol combo .

So im guilty of this , had a capt with shield and teeth of terra , will now inform my last opponent of my fubar and let him know I messed up :)

·
Registered
807 Posts
also your losing a weapon for the shield or the armour ( losing an attack if your talking power weapon /pistol combo .

So im guilty of this , had a capt with shield and teeth of terra , will now inform my last opponent of my fubar and let him know I messed up :)
Well the Armour doesn't replace a weapon (page 159). Other then that as long as you didn't try to use your pistol I don't see an issue.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
pg 159 chapter relics and the important line " only one of each chapter relic can be taken per army ( still all good ,but its the next bit that's the bite ) A MODEL CAN REPLACE ONE weapon with ONE of the following "

so no multiples , its pretty clear you can only take one relic by replacing a weapon for it .

I'm not so sure I read that in the same way as you. Has the FAQ cleared it up?

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not so sure I read that in the same way as you. Has the FAQ cleared it up?
ha ha ha , sorry mate GW tend to be slow at such things as FAQ ( no its not been faq,d yet ) :) it really boils down to interpretation
to me One weapon with One of the following means just that one choice , not multiples
but it can also be read as if you take armour , you still have a weapon to swap and thus could have armour + weapon from relics .

Im really just interested in what the community feels is the right interpretation as GW tend to have these ambiguous rules :)

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts

I read this as a less specific version of 'The Space Marine Sergeant may replace his Bolt Pistol and/or Chainsword with one of the following:' - the only reason the wording's different is that you might not be replacing a Chainsword, you could be replacing a Force Weapon or Crozius Arcanum.

Midnight

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
A MODEL CAN REPLACE ONE weapon with ONE of the following
Meaning you can't take more Relics than the number of weapons that are stock on a model with access to this list.

ie. exchanging a Captain's Chainsword for the Teeth of Terra and his Bolt Pistol for the Shield Eternal.

EDIT: first time I've checked out the Teeth of Terra more seriously, what a damn shame Strikedown doesn't effect MCs. I was so excited...

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
I've always been under the assumption that you can take as many relics as weapons on your person, where weapon equals an item held in a hand. For instance, a Daemon Prince from CSM can take the Black Mace or the Burning Brand, but not both because Daemon Princes only have a single CCW. A Space Marine Captain, however, can replace the BP and the CCW with two different relics, because each time you are replacing ONE weapon with ONE relic.

·
Registered
802 Posts
I posted the same question about the Chaos artefacts and still got no confirmation - it depends on who you play against and what mood their in - I think if a person wants to put all their eggs in one basket let them do it! Then laugh at them when you lascannon the basket to death

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Yeah. This has been debated since Chaos Marines came out. The wording is the same for them and Eldar and probably any army with relics. And none have had it FAQ'd. I read it that a character can only make one exchange. Just how important/powerful is this guy that he would be given multiple relics to carry to battle? I see it that if you could exchange more than once, the wording would be more like this.

"A model can replace ANY weapon(s) with ONE of the following."
But I know this is debated still. Just how I see it.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Only thing is that in GW army builder for the iCodex does in fact let you put two relics on the same guy ... not an FAQ, I know but it is approved and released by GW as such.
Yes I was talking with a GW manager ( 10yrs + with a really good grip on the rules .....yes I know a rarity )
and he pointed out that :) .
We,ve sent off a email to the GW team , though im not holding my breath :)

Its again one of those ambiguous rules that can be interpreted either way , though many side on the multiple relics side ( and not just SM players ;) ) .

Thanks for all the replies and hopefully next FAQ will address it ................. lol , we can all hope cant we ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts