Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 147 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everyone loves a vs's thread and I've seen plenty of primarch ones and other ones like Gaunt vs Cain and whatever else but I'd like to see one focusing on Chapter Masters but only from the main chapters which for me anyway include
Ultramarines
Blood angels
Dark angels
Space wolves
Imperial fists
White scars
Iron hands
Raven guard
Salamanders
Crimson fists
Black Templars
Grey knights
Doom eagles
Blood ravens
So I guess my question is of all the chapter masters from these chapters ( I trust you know who they are) who do you believe is the greatest and why and who would win in a fight which featured all of them at once???

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
The Lord of Baal, Commander Dante. He has the wisdom of age on his side, having organized campaigns before many of the others' great grandfathers were birthed. He may not be the strongest but he is cunning and clever as well as politically astute; something many Chapter Masters lack. In a complete free-for-all, he would bide his time, letting the strongest destroy and weaken each other, possibly uniting some of the others to a temporary alliance. Those of great strength would be too arrogant to ally. Lastly, Dante has the advantage of flight. Few other chapter masters use Jump Packs and none would be as skilled.
From the books I've been reading about the Blood Angels, it would probably take one of their successors' chapter masters to bring Dante down in single combat. Even then, he would be patient and let his foe weaken himself, fighting in a defensive retreat.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree in that I think that Dante would hold an advantage in that he makes use of a jump pack but I wouldn't put it past the raven guard chapter master to also make use of one and haeron from the doom eagles to also use one. So just say these two were to combine forces for a time just to eliminate Dante do you think that Dante could manage to defeat the two of them at the same time??

·
Registered
97 Posts
The Lord of Baal, Commander Dante. He has the wisdom of age on his side, having organized campaigns before many of the others' great grandfathers were birthed. He may not be the strongest but he is cunning and clever as well as politically astute; something many Chapter Masters lack. In a complete free-for-all, he would bide his time, letting the strongest destroy and weaken each other, possibly uniting some of the others to a temporary alliance. Those of great strength would be too arrogant to ally. Lastly, Dante has the advantage of flight. Few other chapter masters use Jump Packs and none would be as skilled.
From the books I've been reading about the Blood Angels, it would probably take one of their successors' chapter masters to bring Dante down in single combat. Even then, he would be patient and let his foe weaken himself, fighting in a defensive retreat.
My, that is rather presumptuous of you.

·
Banned
7,889 Posts
It is laughable to suggest that anyone other than the Son of Vulkan the Honoured Chapter Master Tu'Shan of the Salamanders would prevail in any trial you would care to submit.

Even Commander Dante says as much

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Tu`Shan#.UOPKoeSsh8E

While Dante is without doubt without peer, Tu'Shan is much younger yet has a wise head on those young shoulders.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
I agree in that I think that Dante would hold an advantage in that he makes use of a jump pack but I wouldn't put it past the raven guard chapter master to also make use of one and haeron from the doom eagles to also use one. So just say these two were to combine forces for a time just to eliminate Dante do you think that Dante could manage to defeat the two of them at the same time??
That is intriguing. I guess the flip of what I said could mean that Dante is viewed as the biggest threat and targeted early. Respect could easily flip to fear. Could he withstand an early 2-on-1 fight? Maybe. He's fought Greater Daemons and lived. But the question presented was rather tough. I went with my gut. In a series of one-on-one fights, Dante could certainly meet his match, even with the Jump Pack and tactical experience.

My, that is rather presumptuous of you.
Which part? This really is an opinion based situation. I favor Dante. Who would your money be on? You really shouldn't just indicate I'm "wrong" and not put your support behind another candidate.

My conclusion is reached by what I know of the fluff. Perhaps there is a detail about another I am unaware of. But like many Blood Angels I may just be arrogant; as the Flesh Tearers put it anyway. But as this is about the fluff(I'll leave it to Terminus to decide whether or not to ask the thread be moved.), we are not all going to agree. I merely ask that if you challenge my opinion that you present one of your own.

EDIT: Can you provide the source for Dante saying that, Magpie? I'd love to know more. Reading Red Fury, I have this sense that Dante is always in control. Even when meeting with his advisers, he has a plan in mind but guides them to suggest it instead of just commanding it.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
I'm afraid you get another vote for Dante here too, I haven't read a lot about the other chapters, especially not the chapter masters as from what I remember they're normally mentioned then the author moves on. Dante however we have heard/seen/read of fighting toe to toe with things that tore a (Venerable) Dreadnought Chapter Master apart after out witting and controlling the Flesh Tearers in a debate.

He also ran a war of Armageddon (but Logan ran the first one).

I would love to hear some fluff about the other chapter masters though.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Supporting evidence or whatever can come from fluff or BL novels, when it comes to warhammer 40k I'm insanely engrossed in the books more so than gaming, at last count I own roughly 150 BL novels give or take but I'm happy to see people base their opinions on fluff

·
Bruva I am hit!
582 Posts
Well, the Blood Ravens Chapter Master, be it Kyras or Cap'n Gabe, could just steal everyone else's relics and then claim they were "gifted" to them...

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,046 Posts
Grimnar. Logan has decapitated one Grand Master already, so I don't see Grey Knights being a huge issue. I mean, come on, the man teleported onto a Grey Knight ship and executed a Grand Master for breaking the law. Badass incarnate.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Calagar unless Matt Ward gets fired. He seriously needs to get fired, before he writes another Space Marine codex where every chapter master kisses Dante's and Calagar's ass.

The thread question is a difficult one to answer but I'd say Grimnar and his war on Armagedon against 50000 Bezerkers was pretty badass. Grey knights only had to deal with the blood thirsters, Grimnar had to face both.

·
Banned
7,889 Posts
Calagar unless Matt Ward gets fired. He seriously needs to get fired, before he writes another Space Marine codex where every chapter master kisses Dante's and Calagar's ass.
Where does it say that?

·
Spanner in the works...
5,349 Posts
Azrael?... I reckon he'd survive until near the end due to supreme tactical insight, but I would have to say that perhaps his hand to hand skills don't quite match that of Grimnar or Dante. That said, Dante's an old man - maybe his back would give in half way through.
I reckon the Minotaurs' Chapter Master would give a decent challenge also, but perhaps lacks the same status as some of the others.

·
Craw-Daddy
4,472 Posts
Where does it say that?
His deeds are written quite remarkably in the Space Marine Codex. Siege of Zalathras for example where he held a whole ork force at bay by himself, him apparently ripping a Daemon Prince and an Avatar of Khaine with his bare hands. As I said, its entirely possible that much of his records have been corrupted with lies.

Thats stuff that's been complained much before, and just the way it will be unless GW thinks another Chapter can attract other fans into the game. But to deny it is something else.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I think we are all forgetting the exploits of draigo, firstly he spends every moment of his life in the warp without becoming corrupted, as a mere battle brother he banished M'kar the daemon prince, he slayed the bloodthirster Kar'voth, killed the six daemonettes of slaanesh, set fire to the gardens of grandfather nurgle, destroyed the domain of the lord of change m'kachan and finally he manages to carve the name of his predecessor into the daemon primarch mortarions heart. None of these r easy feats by any standards but to live for so many years in the warp and not be corrupted in any way shows fortitude above the rest of the chapter masters.

·
Banned
7,889 Posts
His deeds are written quite remarkably in the Space Marine Codex. Siege of Zalathras for example where he held a whole ork force at bay by himself, him apparently ripping a Daemon Prince and an Avatar of Khaine with his bare hands. As I said, its entirely possible that much of his records have been corrupted with lies.

Thats stuff that's been complained much before, and just the way it will be unless GW thinks another Chapter can attract other fans into the game. But to deny it is something else.
I'm missing the bit where every other chapter master is kissing his arse?

1 - 20 of 147 Posts