Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok posting this for a friend just because we're trying to get it right or not, he wants to make his SM chappy with 2 Lclaws and no crozius, was pretty sure he couldnt, but just checking becuase he said weapons could be replaced from the armory, but not sure if a normal space marine chaplain needs a crozius like chaos aplostles do, i figure they would, but couldnt find where it said they couldnt, so any clearification and possible FAC back up would be nice, or pg's in rule book so he can get it straight(hes not trying to cheat hes just wondering really), and im posting for him since he doesnt really have internet acess atm :?

·
Registered
432 Posts
You can, but you're spending 30 points for one more attack and the ability to reroll the wounds or get the Crozius for free. Not sure if it's worth it, but he can go ahead and do it, it's legal.

·
Executive Nitpicker
8,276 Posts
Not only is it legal, but you can still have the crozius (not that it actually makes any difference in game terms).

The rules stay you may only buy two weapons from the wargear list

It does NOT say that you are limited to only *having* two weapons. So, essentially, chaplains and librarians can have three weapons, veteran sergeants can have four. The weapons they come with, plus a maximum of two selected from the wargear list.

Of course, you still only get to fire one weapon in the shooting phase, and you get only one bonus attack for having two CCWs, so its something of a curiosity rather than a rules exploit. But I've known people to throw fits over it just because they;re fussy.

My chaplain is equipped with LCs and a crozius. (one of his LCs is attached to his base in a mangled piece of tank armor, as if it got stuck in and torn off when the tank exploded, revealing his bionic arm underneath. Rallying his men, he pulled the crozius from his belt and held it aloft)

That said, I'm thinking of making his LC arm magnetic so I can swap it for a BP when I feel like not spending a metric assload of points on an already overpriced character

·
Executive Nitpicker
8,276 Posts
You get the extra attack if you just spend the extra 5 points for a pair of LCs (which is exactly what the OP said the guy was doing)

So you do get the extra attack, it;s just a matter of is rerolling wounds worth 29 points (assuming otherwise you;d just spend 1pt for a BP)

·
Premium Member
2,648 Posts
Yes, you can do it, but I'd rather just Mastercraft (or not) the Crozius, give him a Bolt Pistol, and with the spare points you did not waste on the Claws, I'd give him Frag and Meltabombs.

But, on my own, I always equipped Chappys with the Crozius, and a Powerfist. You just never know which winged ugly is gonna land in front of you.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Perfectly legal although It's more non-scoring points which are probably better spent elsewhere. The crozius Is free and does a great Job getting you your six attacks, along with the power fist and plasma pistols from the assault squad that he leads you should be good to go to face all foes big or small! :)

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah hes a jump chappy leading a assualt squad, basically he was looking to the point of rerolling wounds and hits for those 6 attacks. but yeah that many points does kinda seem like a waste, i think hes tryin to make a assualt termy chaplain with a termy retinue though, so probably throw the 2 LC's on him would be a better idea?

·
Executive Nitpicker
8,276 Posts
Hespithe, mastercrafting the crozius is a really bad idea.
Mastercraft only lets you reroll *one miss*, not wounds.
Meanwhile the chaplain can reroll *all* misses on a charge. That's more a waste of points than the LCs

Frankly, if you have the points, LCs aren't a bad idea. Being able to reroll misses and failed wounds makes the chaplain a threshing machine. But something to save for big lists

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
You could still master craft a Chappy's weapon.

He rerolls all misses on a charge.

If YOU are charged, id still want that reroll, regardless of it being jsut one reroll.

·
Executive Nitpicker
8,276 Posts
I'm not saying it wouldn't come in handy once in a while, but if you're playing him right, you;re not going to need it most of the time. Considering it;s 15 points and will be used, at best, a couple times per game it seems less valuable per point than the LCs would be since they get used much more often

·
Registered
999 Posts
I was going to do this for my deathwing chappy before the codex came out and ruined my plans.

As far as other chapters go, twin lightning claws only makes sense if he's leading a unit of lightning claw equipped Terminators. Even then , it's expensive.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Anphicar said:
Yeah, i remember your model, and having to re-convert it.
Don't remind me....sniff....sniff.... :cry:

·
Registered
298 Posts
Why not just take one set of LC, take the better chaplian, give him termie hnrs or armor? Hell still get an impressive amount of attacks, and on the charge hell get rerolls to mis as well.

·
Executive Nitpicker
8,276 Posts
It's only an extra 5 points to give him both LCs...so why not give him both?

Hang his crozius on his belt

1 - 19 of 19 Posts