Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Due to the fact I'll be working most of the holiday period, I decided to buy some reading material - including IA:13.

Now, admittedly I've had my book less than 24 hours - so I won't pretend I know it in extreme detail yet. Thus, I am curious to know what you, my fellow plastic addicts, would recommend from the book.

I'm really drawn to the Sicarian and the cheaper choice of the two drop pods. And am considering the slightly better predator and (should the option be there) Mortis Dreads.

Any pointers?

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
Sicarans are amazing, Rapier Laser Batteries are pretty sexy, the Hell Blade is okay, the Fire Raptor is a beast, and some of the Legacies can build pretty neat tricks. Typhon Siege Tanks are brutal Lords of War, and the Greater Brass Scorpion can do serious work if your opponent isn't prepared for one, but the other Lords of War are pretty forgettable (with the exception of Aetaos'rau'keres, but with the Daemon Lords rule of not being able to be more than 25% of your army you can only auto-win games of 4000pts or more, which is unusual to say the least).

Other than that, Renegades and Heretics offers some neat options, but a lot of things aren't very good or downright awful (the Chaos Contemptor, the Decimator, both shitty Drop Pod alternatives, Blood Slaughterers). Worth getting just for Sicarans and Fire Raptors, pretty much, and then some funsies options like the Legacies thrown in as well.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, the Sicarian with Heavy Bolter Sponsors and Warpfire Gargoyles looks like an absolute steal! Is that how I should run it?

I'm not quite at 4k points! I currently have about 1200, but this is a new army me and some friends have started (we all picked a 'new' army and began from scratch). We're looking at 2k before we begin a narrative.

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
Yeah, the Sicarian with Heavy Bolter Sponsors and Warpfire Gargoyles looks like an absolute steal! Is that how I should run it?
Honestly, wouldn't bother with the Warpfire Gargoyles and would probably stick Lascannon sponsons on instead of Heavy Bolters - it's a light armour mulcher, first and foremost, and the Lascannons help with that. Heavy Bolters are perfectly serviceable and make it a medium infantry lawnmower though, so that's fine.

I'm not quite at 4k points! I currently have about 1200, but this is a new army me and some friends have started (we all picked a 'new' army and began from scratch). We're looking at 2k before we begin a narrative.
Aetaos'r-fuck it, Tzeentch Chicken, is not a model you can put on the board when playing with friends, so follow my previous advice; the Typhon and maybe the Scorpion are the only Lords of War you'll be seeing :victory:

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks! And you're absolutely sure contemptors aren't worth it?

250~ points for one with two butcher cannons seems like a steal...

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
I might just have a coloured Loyalist perspective, as it's a strictly worse Deredeo, but if you need the Str8 firepower and have a way of keeping it alive (AV13, 3HP and a 5++ isn't bad but for 250pts, it's not great) then give it a go; not exactly hard to get hold of a Contemptor model these days :victory:

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmm, where'd you get the 5++ from? All I see is the 4++/6++ to Glancing/Penetrating hits?

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nope, Contemptor rules in IA:13 are:

Fleet
Admantium Will
Hellfire Reactor

Hellfire reactor - 4++ against Glancing hits, 6++ against pen, in Close combat ANY unit with the Psyker USR takes a Str2 AP2 hit at Initiative 10, Explosion! result on Penetration table gets +D3" to range & has the Soul Blaze rule.

and for 20 points you can give it the mark of nurgle (It Will Not Die) giving it a cost of around 270 if you have 2 Butcher Cannons (2 x [36", str8, ap4, heavy 4])

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
Huh, okay, I thought it was just the same thing available to Chaos with the weapon variations.

Only getting a proper save against Glances is kind of ass though - for 250pts you have to be really good at your job, and I'm not convinced that the Contemptor is that. By all means, give it a go, but it seems a fair bit overpriced for what you get.

·
JUGGERNUT
2,558 Posts
Thanks! And you're absolutely sure contemptors aren't worth it?

250~ points for one with two butcher cannons seems like a steal...
No, absolutely not.

Consider that for 195 points you can have 3 Rapier Batteries with Hades Autocannons. There are trade-offs vs. taking a dual butcher Contemptor, sure, but I consider some of the pros to be:

- 50 points cheaper
- 12 S8 shots instead of 8, which also cause Pinning
- A T7 unit which uses that toughness for the CSM crew/ablative wounds, i.e. isn't going to be insta-'sploded by a lucky lascannon or melta shot
- Pairs very well with a Crimson Slaughter Balestar Sorc for Twin-linked, Ignores Cover, or an Invuln Save; additional Leadership isn't a bad thing either

Sicarans are good. I'd leave 'em without sponsons personally, but between the two lascannons would be my choice for the reasons given earlier. The ability to ignore jink with a mid/high-strength weapon with Rending seems best used against vehicles, so heavy bolters would sorta be pointless.

I'm gonna pick up a Kharybdis for the Fist of Khorne formation. Not all that good, in honesty, but the only way we can deal a potentially fatal alpha strike. On their own, I think both of our drop pods are total shit.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Chaos Fire Raptor is amazing. I just finished kitbashing my own. It's really, really powerful.

It's also really easy to sink a lot of points into.

My favorite configuration is with Reaper Autocannons and Balefire Missiles. If you have the points, Malefic Ammo is tasty, because now you're looking at Rending, but really, 8 Twin Linked Autocannons (at different targets) should do the trick, plus 7 Avenger shots. And then you tack on Ignore Cover Large Blasts just for icing on the cake. It's less than a Loyalist Land Raider, but makes an amazing flying tank.

Oh, and Strafing Run.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What would people's consensus over the Fire raptor be?

I'd maybe swap the bolters for autocannons.. but that is about it?

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
What would people's consensus over the Fire raptor be?

I'd maybe swap the bolters for autocannons.. but that is about it?
Giving it more than Reaper batteries seems like a surefire way to spend too many points on it. Besides, it doesn't need any other upgrades as it's amazing with Reapers.

Also everything Venomlust said is pretty much spot on.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Okay, I'm sold on the Fire raptor with autocannon turrets... 210 points for that much carnage is too good to miss.

Next question.

2 rapiers with Hades autocannons for 130 points. Is this a good investment?

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
I'm gonna pick up a Kharybdis for the Fist of Khorne formation. Not all that good, in honesty, but the only way we can deal a potentially fatal alpha strike. On their own, I think both of our drop pods are total shit.
2 rapiers with Hades autocannons for 130 points. Is this a good investment?
Well, considering it's 50 points off a Forgefiend and +1 BS, and only loses out a bit on survivability...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts