Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've always wondered about chaos titans and ships, ships may cost a lot of resources but the imperium can manage that. Titans may be hard to create but they can apparently be built despite the rarity of some classes.

There are many arguments for and against chaos forces having being able to create new ships and titans and even new equipment and even drednoughts.

For:
They have made modifications to titans such as adding tails to them and making new heads (or at least re designing them) which suggests the capability to build something on that scale.

The planet Killer was built and possibly re-built in the eye and in a short story the Dark Mechanicus mad made a ship with advanced demonic AI.

Spoilers Dark Mechanicum

In the Grey Knights novel, Dark Mechanicum a forge world, lost in the warp uses the STC of the first generation of titans to create an army of hundreds using the old factories.

End of Spoilers

The Dark Mechanicus are nothing if not the Mechanicum with the warp itself to call upon and thus have many advantages if perhaps not the resources. However there are cases of the Chaos Gods taking sacrafice in return for rewards that could take the form of equipment, men and possibly resources.

As for the matter of equipment, forge worlds could have been built and manned by the mechanicum. Defilers have been commisioned by the Warmaster recently suggesting their is the possiblity to create new machines of war. the explanation for older technoligy is the lack of STCs.

The forge world of Ghalmek was taken by the Word Bearers and was even used to re-fit an Emperor class warship

The Gods can also give physical gifts to their followers, one example being a sword that could apparently cut through all mortal metals (even managing to cut a drednought in half in one stroke).

One Iron Warroir drednought is known to have been made of warp forged metals, suggesting it was constructed from the warp and was relatively new.

The Soul Grinder was made in the Forge of Souls, a demoinc forge deep within the relms of chaos.

Against:

In the Word Bearers novels remarks are made that they are unable to build new Thunderhawks and aquire them on raids or outfit new vehicals.

In Soul Hunter they canibalise armour of both friends and foes.

Spoiler Soul Hunter

In Soul Hunter the chaos legions raid a titan legion base and intend to repair titans and steal its resources.

End of spoilers

Spoilers Dark Mechanicum

In Dark Mechanicum however, it was not only previously a imperial forge fitted with a titan works but had the original titan STCs to work on.

End of spoilers

So those are my arguments, what do you think? Have anything to add, please do. In the end I would lioke a conclusion but if none can be found I would enjoy the disscussion.

·
Registered
7,314 Posts
It's a question of ability vs resources. They have the ability to build things and modify things but they don't have the resources readily available to to do so, so they go on raids and steal it. They will cannibalise any armour they find because it's still rare, and worth taking. I would imagine Chaos Space marines are mostly fending for themselves in this respect, if their armour breaks they can't simply request a new one from the stores, they probably have to either repair it themselves or try to persuade someone else to do it for them.

With titans it's more about the will to get them built rather than lack of ability. Someone with enough power has to get his minions to acquire the materials, and then get the Dark Mechanicum to build them for him. The Chaos warbands are too fickle and unstable for this to happen very often.

They may not have a Thunderhawk STC, hence they cannot build any.

Aramoro

·
Registered
596 Posts
There's also the issue that the various Chaos groups are neither well coordinated nor particularly prone to sharing. For that matter, even the Imperial forces can be unwilling to share--according to the background, the Blood Angels refuse to share their knowledge of how to make fast variants of the standard Imperial vehicles, and you'd expect them to want to help out their loyal brothers. Chaos Group A sitting around and making Titans while Group B has break into a workshop to fix theirs and Group C scavenges parts to just fix their armor isn't unreasonable.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thats probably true given their nature and background but the one question remaining is to do with the warp. They seem to be able to make things from it but how is never explained. I always imagined it to be a matter of sacrafice, burn a world get a titan, burn two worlds get a titan and some power armour. Like in honor amoung friends, his first sacrafice to the gods earned him a blade and from then on he's recived gifts ever since.

·
Ancient Relic
2,430 Posts
really, this and your other thread about Abaddon should be in the fluff section, it is a lovely place where 40k background goes.
i dont see why they shouldnt be able to build new ships, there are Daemonic forges in the Warp (Soul Grinder). i have made my CSM army based on blacksmiths, the Forge of Chaos, you may find something on them in the homebrew fluff section, but i dont see any limitations on why they cant build things that are as good as or better than the Adeptus Mechanicus and the Imperium, because they are not subject to the laws about techno heresy, whereby nothing new can be invented.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts