Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After recently designing a death guard list I became stuck on the following dilema> chaos terminators or chaos dreads? of coarse the dread can go retarded and shoot up your own army but it can be harder to kill than termies and is a lot cheaper than a tooled up unit of termies able to do the same job. For example a unit with multiple power weapons would tear apart some terminators but not be able to touch a dread.

So which is best for you and how do you kit out your termis/dreads?:victory:

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
i personaly use oblitz rather than termies and a defiler over a dread but lets see

termies can take a land raider and get somewhere quickly or deep strike while a dread has to walk a dread if wounded once is crippled for the rest of the game while a termie wont be hurt that much but the dread is quicker stronger and quite good as it can have fleet its your choice termiers have 5 wounds and are hard to inflict them on it though they can be caught in a sweeping advance and a dread cant

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
alright i suggest using chosen they are cheaper they can take a rhino transport they can take up to 5 special weapons in a squad. terminators are limited movement unless you spend the 225 to take a land raiders. dreadnoughts have a problem with the one shot kill factors, all it takes is some ass with a melta, not to menchin that i have notice that about 9/10 of the time Chaos Dreads do not make combat. and fo a unit thats that vulnerable to a 1 shot kill factor,stacking them with fire power will only increase the size of the bullseye on your dreadnought. so i would go chosen squads. terminators are good but only if you take landraiders. on foot they just get shot by every ap2 weapon out there.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I'm in the Terminators > Dreadnought crowd.

Dreadnoughts are a target for every heavy weapon and while their armor is decent it's not likely to survive a couple shots from lascannons.

On the other hand, even a 5 man squad of terminators can cost more than twice the value of the dreadnought. If you go Terminators you have to be sure you can make the best possible use of those points. Teleportation is the most obvious answer, especially since Chaos doesn't use pods. Get them in close so they're not exposed to enemy fire any more then is absolutely necessary.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Chosen rule! go with Chosen

But, if you must choose Termies vs Dreads, take the Termies. Dreads can be 1-hit killed, have to walk everywhere, and fire frenzy can ruin your day. Termies are generally more survivable, because a single scrub with a melta can't obliterate them. They also make nice bodyguards for HQ units.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Chosen are certainly the best outflanking unit you can muster, as arming them with five meltaguns is the popular option.

Quite frankly, I love my Dual LC Termies. Popping them out of my Land Raider and making mincemeat out of my enemy is always a blast. It is just a point heavy option.

Competitive lists always seem to nix Dreads, so if that is what you are going then no. They would be a hell of a lot more effective if CSM has a Drop Pod, other than the IA Dread Claw.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I'm split, I use both, but I do like the Dreads. For the cost of five LC Terminators in a Land Raider you can get three Dreadnoughts, with 100 points left over. I wouldn't recommend taking that to a tournament but it can be quite scary from across the table.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts