Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine is selling me a bunch of his old Chaos Marine stuff that he no longer uses, and he's decided to throw in 50+ old school Space Wolves just because he wants to get rid of them and he's just awesome like that. While they'd be pretty easy to just convert into some sort of Chaos Marines, I was wondering if there was any kind of fluff I could use to try and have mine be some sort of corrupted bunch of Space Wolves.

I read something about their only real splinter chapter, the Wolf Brothers, being disbanded due to severe mutation, but I'm not sure if that really means they'd turn to Chaos or not, especially with the 13th Great Company spending so much time in the Eye of Terror and still managing to tell Chaos to f**k off.

What do you guys think?

·
Bane of Empires
5,131 Posts
Well you could easily create your own Chaos Warband based around a few renegade Space Wolves. To my knowledge there is only one suspected Renegade Space Wolf force that is mentioned in the background, and they are Skyrar's Black Wolves as Khorne's Fist said.

But if your not feeling that, just create your own. :)

·
Registered
317 Posts
All what is said is true so far. I can say, Space Wolves make an excellent conversion army. I was thinking about making them myself, and dedicating them to Khorne, which wouldn't be that far of a toss.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys! :)

Right now I run my army pretty Undivided. I usually use either Khorne or Nurgle dedicated Terminators, Obliterators, and I generally use Plague Marines and Noise Marines... that might be a little weird for a Space Wolves offshoot.

Of course, the Sonic Blasters could be Howl Guns or something, made to sound like wolves, and the Initiative bonus fits in with real-world wolves. I'm not sure what to do about the Plague Marines... maybe they could be mutated by their unstable geneseed or something, somewhere between Marine and Wulfen and some sort of Chaos-enduced mutation...?

On the thought of using noise marines, how does Warp Howlers sound for a chapter name?

·
Registered
317 Posts
Sounds like you have an excellent CSM warband in the making!

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
Well Space Wolves do look feral so i'd make them into Khorne Berzerkers, their feral appearance is perfect for them. Well actually i'd put them in front of some Thousand Son models, like they are about to die :wink:.

·
The Great Unclean One
57 Posts
I think Warp Howlers sounds awesome for a Chaos Warband, do you have any idea yet about a kick-ass colour scheme ?

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Fluff-wise I know berserkers are probably the way to go, but I'm trying to fit them into what I already use. Besides, that's too predictable. :so_happy:

I was mulling it around in my head... for storyline purposes, would it make sense if they were a band created by either Fabius Bile or the Thousand Sons collecting the Canis Helix from fallen Space Wolves and experimenting with it, rather than simply corrupted Space Wolves? It probably wasn't a ton all at once, maybe a few bodies they managed to take here and there from a large number of skirmishes over a century or two. That seems like it would make them more likely to use the Chaos-specific stuff I like to field (Obliterators, Defilers, etc.) It also might be a little more interesting to write about...

I'm terrible at painting, so I bribed my roommate to do it for Chipotle. He's already painted one of my Terminators as a preview and it looks pretty good, but that was before I thought of the whole Warp Howlers thing. It still looks pretty good though, unfortunately I can't get a picture onto my computer very easily.

It's half burgundy, half this tan-like color, split vertically down the middle, both with black trim around them. It sounds weird but it actually turns out pretty sweet.

·
Angryman
4,304 Posts
Sounds good, Go for it. I like the suggested backstory and the colors. Should look good on the table.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts