Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
you both cant play but if you have to kill all his warriors he automatically looses

·
Registered
802 Posts
yeah, necrons have superior firepower to csm, so just chop him up with chainswords ^.^

·
U Mad Bro?
2,777 Posts
Sorry but what's "phasing out"?
Necrons have a special rule that if they lose a specific % of their army (this % depends on the total number of Necrons in the army to begin with) they basically disappear and can no longer fight. Its the same as if you wiped out their whole army.

I would strongly suggest reading over the rule in the Necron codex to fully understand the rule.

Best of luck!

Chaosftw

·
Registered
594 Posts
1. Jump in Rhinos

2. Rush at the enemy

3. Engage in CC

4. ???

5. PROFIT!

My best buddy uses Necrons, and i have never lost using this simple strategy. If you want to ensure total destruction invest in some Berzerkers.

Oddly enough, vs Necrons is the one time i would recommend putting Mark of Nurgle on basic marines. After MoN, his punny warriors only wound on 5s which gives you that many more models when you hit CC.

Obliterators are also highly effective. Necrons have terrible range on everything but their Destroyers, so the Oblits can just sit back Plasma/Las Cannoning the hell out of everything

Also, 8 Zerkers in a Land Raider/w Possession just trolls the fuck out of Crons. If you have the cash to spare and want to steamroll him every time, grab one.

·
U Mad Bro?
2,777 Posts
1. Jump in Rhinos

2. Rush at the enemy

3. Engage in CC

4. ???

5. PROFIT!

My best buddy uses Necrons, and i have never lost using this simple strategy. If you want to ensure total destruction invest in some Berzerkers.

Oddly enough, vs Necrons is the one time i would recommend putting Mark of Nurgle on basic marines. After MoN, his punny warriors only wound on 5s which gives you that many more models when you hit CC.

Obliterators are also highly effective. Necrons have terrible range on everything but their Destroyers, so the Oblits can just sit back Plasma/Las Cannoning the hell out of everything

Also, 8 Zerkers in a Land Raider/w Possession just trolls the fuck out of Crons. If you have the cash to spare and want to steamroll him every time, grab one.
... Fail.

Did you even read his whole post? he bought the starter box.

There are no Obliterators in it.... He has 1 Rhino which he should probably toss the Zerkers in. Then foot slog the CSM and the Possessed. The only thing that he can probably use out of that whole thing you said was give the Vanilla marines MoN for survivability.

The Necron force has 3 destroyers, I suggest ignoring them and just bum rush everything you have at the warriors for 2 reasons.

One as mentioned the warriors die the army phases out. Second if your in close combat the destroyers cant hit you.

Cheers,
Chaosftw

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
I dont see anygaming without a HQ, but watever. As everyone said, Posseseed, Zerkers charge and kill. Marines foot slog till in CC range then Charge and Kill. Simple really....

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
Ignore anyone who just says 'go for Phase Out', because they have no knowledge of Necrons at all. If you are using the BF then pretty much everything, apart from a scarab or two, has the Necron Special Rule.

Low point games don't favour Necrons, so you should be able to field a better force in games under 1k. Kill Destroyers first, then plough into Warriors with dedicated CC units. Don't try it with standard units though because Necrons are MEq, and the Lord has a power weapon and T5 so it isn't a guaranteed win.

·
Registered
594 Posts
... Fail.

Did you even read his whole post? he bought the starter box.

There are no Obliterators in it.... He has 1 Rhino which he should probably toss the Zerkers in. Then foot slog the CSM and the Possessed. The only thing that he can probably use out of that whole thing you said was give the Vanilla marines MoN for survivability.

The Necron force has 3 destroyers, I suggest ignoring them and just bum rush everything you have at the warriors for 2 reasons.

One as mentioned the warriors die the army phases out. Second if your in close combat the destroyers cant hit you.

Cheers,
Chaosftw
Well excuuuuse me for assuming he might concievably buy more models at some point in the next few decades. The core advice is equally valid for the Battleforce anyway.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ignore anyone who just says 'go for Phase Out', because they have no knowledge of Necrons at all. If you are using the BF then pretty much everything, apart from a scarab or two, has the Necron Special Rule.

Low point games don't favour Necrons, so you should be able to field a better force in games under 1k. Kill Destroyers first, then plough into Warriors with dedicated CC units. Don't try it with standard units though because Necrons are MEq, and the Lord has a power weapon and T5 so it isn't a guaranteed win.
So what's the "necron special rule" that applies to pretty much everything apart from a scarab or two? And what's wrong with going for phase out? I'm not familiar with necron rules so I'm not too sure on what to do. Ty for ur help so far :)

·
U Mad Bro?
2,777 Posts

LOL really? your telling him to chase the unit that has a 24' move and a 36' range? are u kidding me? He has NOTHING that that can get even close to them.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Actually He could catch them easy if he does of 2 things.

1) Use some Bits of the T-Lord Set to make a CSM into a Sorceror, like I did. Use the Staff, and the Sauron looking Termie Lord Head works nice.
2) Make the Sroceror a 125 point Lash Sorceror. Sorceor (MoS, Lash) 125

Now thats done put that cheap Sorceror in a Rhino with Zerkers. Drive up toward Destroyers. if within 24" LASH them into Terrain. That way they have to take Dangerous Terrain Checks cause their Jetbikes in Terrain. Repeat Process till your able to get them in charge range of Possessed, CSMs, or your Badass Termie Lord. Then CHARGE.

Easy. A Lash Sorceror in the Rhino will make ALL the DIFERENCE. Just a little converting and fitting in the points. Plus you can still get your Zerkers where there needed and move your opponet into position.

You could also use your T-Lord as another Termie Lash Sorc at 150 Pts. Now you can move his troops ANYWHERE you want. AHAHAHAHAhahaha..... Necrons are weak to this tatic.

Game. Set. Match.

·
U Mad Bro?
2,777 Posts
Actually He could catch them easy if he does of 2 things.

1) Use some Bits of the T-Lord Set to make a CSM into a Sorceror, like I did. Use the Staff, and the Sauron looking Termie Lord Head works nice.
2) Make the Sroceror a 125 point Lash Sorceror. Sorceor (MoS, Lash) 125

Now thats done put that cheap Sorceror in a Rhino with Zerkers. Drive up toward Destroyers. if within 24" LASH them into Terrain. That way they have to take Dangerous Terrain Checks cause their Jetbikes in Terrain. Repeat Process till your able to get them in charge range of Possessed, CSMs, or your Badass Termie Lord. Then CHARGE.

Easy. A Lash Sorceror in the Rhino will make ALL the DIFERENCE. Just a little converting and fitting in the points. Plus you can still get your Zerkers where there needed and move your opponet into position.

You could also use your T-Lord as another Termie Lash Sorc at 150 Pts. Now you can move his troops ANYWHERE you want. AHAHAHAHAhahaha..... Necrons are weak to this tatic.

Game. Set. Match.
Well looks the the S.S.Failboat has a new Capt.

Jesus man. HE IS A NEW PLAYER, and your telling him to change his units up into all this crazy stuff. How about learning basic strategy before going to power gaming? He does not even know what phasing out is and your talking about double lashing his friend who is also new to the game? Your the kind of punk that discourages new players from continuing by playing that bull shit.

Instead of giving someone stupid tactics give them real advice that they can build off of and help them be better at the game as a whole.

Chaosftw

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
The Necron Special Rule (NSR) is the one that gives a model the WBB ability and allows it to use the portal of the Monolith and attach to a Veil of Darkness Lord, etc.

If you reduce a Necron force to 25% of the total number of models with this rule then the Necrons lose by default. This is called Phase Out.

If most of the models in the army you are facing have this special rule then it is hard to Phase Out, equivalent to attempting a total annihilation on another army. This is why 'go for Phase Out' is non-advice, it is stating the totally obvious that one would apply to any army fighting any other army in any situation = not a tactic but a statement of intent.

Tactical advice would be something like:

1. reduce the effectiveness of WBB by doing the following
a. focus your attention on kill whole units, this will reduce the total number of units in the Necron army even if some models do get back up
b. try to force Necron units apart, they need to be within 6" of similar units to get WBB
c. try to eliminate the Lords with Rez Orbs asap, once these are dead the Necrons will be vulnerable to ID
2. take down Necron HQ units asap - unlike many armies, the Necrons really rely on the HQs to keep everything together
3. Destroyers are the main damage output unit in the Necron army, so find a way to neutralise them as early in the game as possible. As Destroyers are an NSR unit you should remember point 1.
4. if you are facing any Monoliths then you should point everything of S9+ at them to try to kill them. S8- can't hurt a Monolith, so don't even try. Monoliths cause a lot of problems, as you will find if you ever face them. Everything of S8 and less should shoot at other units in the army.
5. avoid C'tan if you can, they are death on a stick. They move like normal infantry, so should not be hard to dodge for at least a few turns.

There you go, some tactics. Real ones.

'Go for Phase Out' is not a tactic, in the same way as 'hold more objectives than your opponent' is not a tactic in an objectives game.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts