Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
While I haven't fought a lot of swarms with my CSM and I'm relatively new to them, in theory I think Noise Marines would be a good troop choice vs swarms. Lots of shots at a long range, plus a pinning heavy weapon with an Assault mode.

Granted, most swarms have a way to be fearless, but that can usually be dealt with. Nid swarms, try to pick off synapse with obliterators or something. Ork swarms, multiple squads of Noise Marines shooting at them could eventually thin them down to being pinnable, but you're almost as good in hand to hand with them anyway and will swing first even if they get Furious Charge, so that might not even matter. IG I'd probably use Berserkers or Plague Marines instead, although I've always wanted to see if Noise Marines could outshoot IG by staying at least 13" away and letting the lasguns try to single-shot their way through their power armor, while you keep changing targets to spread the Pinning effects to whatever has the most shots available.

Set them up in some cover and shoot them as they come in, with Defilers next to them, shooting them with their Battle Cannon until they get close, then Fleeting up and tying them up in CC. Or you could use Oblits instead, who can either Lascannon vehicles/MCs/etc down or Plasma Cannon swarms into goo. Either way could be good times.

For more anti-swarm fun against Nids or IG, consider Nurgle Princes with Nurgle's Rot. 6" radius S3 autohit with no scatter is pretty shiny, especially since he can use it in CC, so you blast them with it while serial crushing them with your huge friggin guy. Not as good against Orks (but can still work), so for them you would either want Winds of Chaos or to go with Lash princes to group stuff up for your pie plate attacks.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Well footslogging hordes usually have a pretty difficult time of it if you bring a unit with lash and some units with pie plates or a few normal blast weapons.

·
Registered
172 Posts
if you lashed them all within ranged in a cone shape and used winds of chaos it'll be easy pickin's
That only works if you have 2 psychers seeing that lash is slaanesh only.

·
Registered
5,539 Posts
Noise Marines are fantastic at killing hordes of enemies. Medium sized units with sonic blasters and maybe a blast master could do horrific things to a mostly infantry army. Tyranids and Orks would be blown out of the water even with cover saves. Also, since Noise Marines retain their bolt pistol and close combat weapon even if upgraded with sonic blasters you'll be able to take advantage of your fantastic Initiative and strike before pretty much everything bar Hormagaunts or Genestealers (who you can just shoot up).

·
Registered
941 Posts
flamers, and lots of em'! A squad of 5x flamers on chosen is really good against hoards!:biggrin:

·
Registered
172 Posts
Lash enemy units forward into Rapid Fire range of Noise Marines and then re-lash them backwards (I think that you can do this)

Midnight
if you have 2 models with lash than you can indeed do this

·
Registered
30 Posts
zerks, each one gets 4 attacks on the the charge wuth s5 and i5. a ten man squad will pump out 40 attacks that will wound on threes and go first:biggrin:

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Swarms are easy kills for CSMs. Zerkers in CC chews thru them with ease with so many attacks.

Noise Marines Dakka alone eats thru swarms, Assault 2/Heavy 3 Bolters, or the St5 ap3 Doom Siren, and the always favorite Strength 8 ap3 Blast Master kills swarm at range. Then at Int 5 with 3 attacks on the charge kills the rest.

Vindis combine with Lash Pirnce/Sorceror... need I say more?

Defiler Battle cannon and Mass CC attacks does well too.

Oblits have Plasma Cannons and Twin Link Flamers. All you need.

5 Chosen outflanking in a Rhino with 5 Flamers can cripple Swarms.

4 Havoks with ML can wreak hell on Swarms and MCs alike. Bye, bye Nids.

4 Combi Flamers, and 1 HF termie can *&%^ stuff up if DS right.

Finnaly give all your Transports Havok Launchers.

Walla, Swarms are no problem.

·
Registered
9 Posts
How to kill a swarm. flamers end of story the basic squad I use is ten CSM two flamers CG champion with combi flamer and a power fist for the monstorus creatures or dreads all in a rhino. yes it is costly to put down this unit, but unlike noise marines the opponent will get no cover saves. I find this works against even power armor foes just for the shear amount of saves it can force an opponent to take. basicly sit in rhino jump out and burn things that get to close.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Noise Marines can also take their Doom Siren, which is about as good as a Heavy Flamer, except that it doesn't take up a weapon--they can have that, the Sonic Blaster, and their bolt pistol+cc weapon. So you can Sonic Blaster them until they get Lashed into Doom Siren position.

In case you didn't notice, despite the Khorne-esque name, I'm a big Noise Marine fan.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Nobody in the CSM camp deals with Horde armies like Emperor's Children. Noise marines can all take assault 2/heavy 3 weapons, champs can take a super heavy flamer (AP3), you can lash models super close together and hit them with template/blast weapons. This is the ultimate gun line army.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Nobody in the CSM camp deals with Horde armies like Emperor's Children. Noise marines can all take assault 2/heavy 3 weapons, champs can take a super heavy flamer (AP3), you can lash models super close together and hit them with template/blast weapons. This is the ultimate gun line army.
Zaden is correct, lashing them into masses, doom siren them and the whole thing about assault 2 heavy 3.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I've always wanted to see if Noise Marines could outshoot IG by staying at least 13" away and letting the lasguns try to single-shot their way through their power armor, while you keep changing targets to spread the Pinning effects to whatever has the most shots available.
I actually had a chance to try that on Sunday in a local 1000pt tournament, and yes they can. "First rank fire, Second rank fire" is a bit of a pain, but the Noise Marines performed well. Unfortunately since it was a 1000pt tournament, I had no blastmaster, although I did have doom sirens. I love doom sirens, makes crusader squads cry.:biggrin:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts