Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Really have enjoyed reading your posts and finally am hoping to get your help with my first Chaos Space Marines list. I am new to the game and will probably play against my brother most who fields Dark Angela with lots of plasma. Another brother of mine is hoping to field a Eldar army. So hoping to build a list to compete against both.

I like the idea of tough troops and am a sucker for shooting armies, although I gather from the forums that chaos space marines are more close combat.

HQ
Typhus 230

Bike lord MoS, fisticlaws, sigil of corruption, BBoS @ 195

Troops
5 Noise marines, 3 sonic blasters, 1 blast master @ 134 ( two of these)

7 plague marines, 2 meltaguns, rhino with dirge caster @ 228 ( two of these)

10 Zombies @ 50

24 zombies @ 106

Fast attack

3 bikers, MoS, 2 meltaguns @ 106

Helldrake with bale flamer @ 170

Heavy support

5 havocs, 4 autocannons @ 115

2 oblits, MoN @ 152 ( two of these)

Basic idea is fire support from Heavies and Noise Marines which are out of range of plasma cannons (for a while). Noise marines also camp objectives. Small zombie squad to enter from reserves to claim late objective. Larger zombies to join Typhis to attract fire and march up field. Hopefully close combat. Plague marines for close combat. Biker lord and bikes to burn marines, but also counter attack deep striking terminators, hence the meltaguns with BBoS. Helldrake to cause as much damage as possible.

I have put together a lot of the units based on what I read (thank you upfront for that ) but I am not sure if they all work together as a competitive army. Let me know what you think.

Cheers,
G

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hello)
Drop sonic blasters from Noise marines - you do not need them in that unit at all.
You can take 2 meltas on 5 plagues, so there is no much use in 7 plague marines. What do u think about dropping 2?
Mos on bikers is usefull, if you are taking fnp. Try to to take it, or to think about
MoN - 6 toughness is pretty cool.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Personally, I'm not a fan of having Typhus on foot. I think he would be better used either infiltrating with Huron or in a Land Raider (Deep Strike if your feeling brave).

7 Plague Marines in a Rhino is fine. But why not 10? More putrid puss for your opponent to chew on :grin:

·
Registered
48 Posts
For the Bike Lord. Try changing him to having a steed of Slaanesh and join him to a 5+ man unit of MoS Bikers with the fnp icon. Steed confers Outflank, so now you have an Outflanking lord and biker squad with fnp. Also i agree with Aveel, the sonic blasters aren't needed. Drop them and just take Blastmasters.

This type of army is very fun, I played Slurgle some years ago.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all for the feedback, I am taking a look at trying to remove Typhis to reduce the cost of HQ, then make the other changes. I likes the idea of the zombies though, not from a competitive perspective but because I think the opponent would find it fun trying to kill them.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I hear a lot of people saying to remove the sonic blasters. I have had use of them, even camping my Noise Marines in a building. I can't count the times people have dropped units behind my lines and I have vaporized them with the sound of rock.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Not saying they aren't good, the cost just adds up and they're not so different from a regular bolter. They're not as much of a must take as the Blastmasters are.

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
Sonic Blasters are good for 10-man squads going into the midfield in Rhinos. For 5-man objective scorers, you'll not be in range very often, so stick to the stock 5-man unit with a Blastmaster for cheap Scoring/firepower.

·
Registered
48 Posts
One of my favorite tactics is to have a ten man unit with two Blastmasters in a rhino with havoc launchers and just never move the rhino and fire the Blastmasters out of the top. Keeps the unit safe inside the rhino and does a lot of hurt.

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
One of my favorite tactics is to have a ten man unit with two Blastmasters in a rhino with havoc launchers and just never move the rhino and fire the Blastmasters out of the top. Keeps the unit safe inside the rhino and does a lot of hurt.
The Havoc Launcher is nice and it gives your unit some ablative armor before you start pulling models, but if you do this, bear in mind that if the Rhino moves or is shaken or stunned then the unit will be unable to fire its heavy shots. Just a downside to keep in mind.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Yeah usually they are stationary unless they absolutely need to move. Luckily Blastmasters have good range. You can make it even better by putting the rhinos on a Skyshield Pad. Now the rhinos have a 4+ cover as well. It's pretty nasty.

·
Herald of The Warp
2,752 Posts
One of my favorite tactics is to have a ten man unit with two Blastmasters
Wait.. Doesn't the codex say that you can only have 1 blastmaster per 10 man?

EDIT:
Nevermind! I found the FAQ that states:
"Page 99 – Noise Marines, Options.
Change the third bullet point to “One Noise Marine may
replace his boltgun with a blastmaster at 30 pts/model. If the
squad numbers ten or more models, an additional Noise
Marine may replace his boltgun with a blastmaster at 30
pts/model..”"

1 - 13 of 13 Posts