Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I don't have any books in front of me, so bear with me...

Chaos sorcerers get a rule in the new BRB giving them a free primaris to match their mark. They have a rule in their codex that they must generate one spell from their god's school. Would this freebie from the 'chaos focus' qualify? Could you then roll all your spells on another discipline? And if so, would you get a free primaris there, too?

·
JUGGERNUT
2,558 Posts
I want it to work the way you're describing, but I just don't think so:

If the Psyker has a Mark of Chaos, or is a Daemon of a particular Chaos God, they must roll at least one, and may roll up to half, of their powers on the table that corresponds to their patron deity.
I don't have the 7th ed rulebook in front of me either, but that makes it sound like we can never get the primaris for free in any discipline other than a Chaos God's, unless we go unmarked. Such a stupid rule. :angry:

·
Registered
384 Posts
Psychic Focus:
If a Psyker generates all of his powers from the same psychic discipline (even if he can only generate one power), that psyker is said to have psychic focus, and gains the that discipline's primaris power in addition to his other powers.
Chaos Psychic Focus:
If a psyker has a Mark of Chaos or is a Daemon of a particular Chaos God, that model automatically knows the primaris power of the discipline that corresponds to their patron deity, in addition to any other powers it knows.
Having both Psychic Focus and Chaos Psychic Focus is kind of trying to have your cake and eat it too.

When Codex: CSM says you have to "generate" at least one power from your god's discipline,i interpret that has having to actually roll on the table- the wording of Psychic Focus implies that the primaris power is gained automatically only after your other powers (from the same discipline) are rolled/generated. Personally, I'll probably be treating it similarly with Chaos powers, e.g. a ML 1 Sorcerer with the Mark of Slaanesh still has to roll on the Slaanesh discipline, and then gets the primaris power- similar in spirit to the previous rules except one no longer has to choose between the (potentially mediocre) power they rolled and the primaris power. This, granted, is a more conservative interpretation of the rules, and probably better when playing against relative strangers. With friends, you'll probably agree on your own reading.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Gotcha. So in the end, since a Chaos sorcerer above ML 1 can NOT take their entire power choice from their chosen god, they still get the free Primaris, but can NEVER take the Psychic Focus unless they're unmarked.

Not really missing out on things, was just looking for more ways to strengthen my spellcasting Thousand Sons.

·
Premium Member
5,719 Posts
Chaos Psychic Focus is there because it is impossible for a Demon/Sorcerer to generate all of their powers from their gods list. You cannot do both.

The stupid rule is the one that keeps you from generating all your powers from their gods list. Never understood the reasoning on that one.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts