Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So with the new rules it has become apparent I need to add more psychicness to my army or suffer the wrath of psychic doom!

I am building a Nurgle Chaos Space Marine army, featuring Typhus as my main dude. I want to get a second HQ I am thinking either a Sorcerer or a Prince... why is this a tough decision? I will explain now.

First points there is a large difference in points, second I can give the sorcerer term army thus making him tougher than a Prince... weird I know. Next I want to use him with Typhus and the squad of Terminators I want to run him with. Specifically using the invisibility power (it's too good of a power not to use!) If I get a prince I can't put him in the unit with Typhus and the termies, if I go with Sorcerer I can, thus making both Typhus and the Sorcerer and his Termies invisible.

At first I was thinking Prince but the Sorcerer is starting to sound better especially if I add a Nurgle Planquin, and termie armor to the Sorcerer, what do you all think?

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
Well, if you want to be assured of getting Invisibility, you can go for Be'lakor, since he knows every power in the Telepathy discipline. He is a very expensive Daemon Prince to field on top of Typhus, however...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, if you want to be assured of getting Invisibility, you can go for Be'lakor, since he knows every power in the Telepathy discipline. He is a very expensive Daemon Prince to field on top of Typhus, however...
Oh go with Deamons as the allies or since he is a prince he can be an HQ in a standard CSM army?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
He was a beast in escalation games, as he had Puppetmaster - Unfortunately that psyker power is removed from 7th, so I don't know his value at this point.
Yeah I don't think so sadly, He has the same issues a normal Daemon Prince has without the ability to buy any armor. So if I wouldn't take a Prince I wouldn't take him aside from a guarantee to get invisibility. Yet he is in my opinion to easy to kill for the points he costs. I could go with the sorcerer and all the fun stuff I was saying and generate all his powers from Telepathy Psychic Shriek is awesome and getting invisibility will be fairly likely if not shrouded is a close second

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Sorcerer with Palaquin I would personally go for, as you can also give him a spell familiar which is just re-oll psychic tests which is really good now tests are much more likely to fail. He then has more wounds in case he perils and is a ble to join a unit so he can't be specifically targetted.

If it was for Deamonology then I would go for the Prince as he is much less likely to kill himself from doing it which is helpful

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorcerer with Palaquin I would personally go for, as you can also give him a spell familiar which is just re-oll psychic tests which is really good now tests are much more likely to fail. He then has more wounds in case he perils and is a ble to join a unit so he can't be specifically targetted.

If it was for Deamonology then I would go for the Prince as he is much less likely to kill himself from doing it which is helpful
Yeah Spell Familiar is for sure a bonus I want. Perils are a scary thing now, while they are kind of annoying at first they are actually genuinely terrifying now.I wish I could manage to get invisibility AND endurance but that seems so unlikely.

I was wondering actually if a spell effects the psyker does it effect his unit also?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah Spell Familiar is for sure a bonus I want. Perils are a scary thing now, while they are kind of annoying at first they are actually genuinely terrifying now.I wish I could manage to get invisibility AND endurance but that seems so unlikely.

I was wondering actually if a spell effects the psyker does it effect his unit also?
Nope I just checked the rule and some say the Psyker and his unit and some say JUST the psyker, so going Biomancy to get Iron arm and endurance is a flop. thus making endurance the only good power on there for what I want to do and invisibility is just as good at keeping a unit alive.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Enfeeble is always a really nice power as well, -1 str and T is pretty good but that hasn't changed since last edition. But it is warp charge 1

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Enfeeble is always a really nice power as well, -1 str and T is pretty good but that hasn't changed since last edition. But it is warp charge 1
Enfeeble is pretty nice I will agree to that, especially making all terrain dangerous terrain.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Did discover something new and sad. A Chaos Lord or Chaos Sorcerer can not take terminator armor AND a palanquin at the same time. So it's either the armor and two wounds or the palanquin and power armor.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Is it so important to have a psyker for psychic defence? Seems to me that now psykers are more efficient the fewer you have (1 psyker being optimal, 6 or 7 being too many casters for too few dice). I could be mistaken since I've only read online about the new psychic phase, but an opponent bringing loads of psykers doesn't seem like an intimidating prospect by itself since they'll be fighting over the dice pool rather than all casting like before.

Again I might be wrong, but isn't it the case for dispel dice you get D6 per turn plus one for every mastery level in your army? I'd sooner defend myself against psychic powers with ablative bodies, or perhaps a vindicator to nuke enemy psykers. You can't dispel a S10 AP2 large blast.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
:goodpost: This is exactly what I thought, so many people have been writing lists about psyker batteries when they are simply not effecient. You do get lots of dice to dispel with but its not effecient to cast with. Personally I think some psykers are required if you have one available in your army (otherwise crons will just need to take gloom prisms though with the changes they sucka s they get no bonus dice) just to get some more dice to chuck at a power.

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
otherwise crons will just need to take gloom prisms though with the changes they sucka s they get no bonus dice)
Ok, falcoso, this isn't aimed at you but your statement is a good catalyst for a rant:

Ugh, SHUT UP about Necrons and Tau being nerfed by the Psychic Phase. Necrons are really strong in Movement, Shooting and Assault. You're not allowed to be strong at all four. Tau are crappy at assault, yeah, but they're really crazy good at movement and shooting to compensate. Compare it to Space Marines - they're not as good at movement or shooting as Necrons, but they're a little better in close combat and have a psychic phase, so it balances out. If Necrons could Deny powers reliably, they'd be a strong contender in every single damn phase.

Every army needs a weakness. It just so happens that yours is the new shiny thing that everyone is claiming to be the new overpowered thing.

*breathes*

On-topic, I'd bring a Sorceror if you just want some psychic support with a couple of powers, but if you want to build around something, bring Be'lakor. Shrouding is really nice - Invisibility is cool, especially on a combat unit, but I think Shrouding is the real gold. You can be really silly with cover saves if you have freely-available Shrouding, especially as Be'lakor can Jink freely since he has no ranged weapons (oh, you'll have to snap-fire Psychic Shriek, but who cares?) to give himself a 2+.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok, falcoso, this isn't aimed at you but your statement is a good catalyst for a rant:

Ugh, SHUT UP about Necrons and Tau being nerfed by the Psychic Phase. Necrons are really strong in Movement, Shooting and Assault. You're not allowed to be strong at all three. Tau are crappy at assault, yeah, but they're really crazy good at movement and shooting to compensate. Compare it to Space Marines - they're not as good at movement or shooting as Necrons, but they're a little better in close combat and have a psychic phase, so it balances out. If Necrons could Deny powers reliably, they'd be a strong contender in every single damn phase.

Every army needs a weakness. It just so happens that yours is the new shiny thing that everyone is claiming to be the new overpowered thing.

*breathes*

On-topic, I'd bring a Sorceror if you just want some psychic support with a couple of powers, but if you want to build around something, bring Be'lakor. Shrouding is really nice - Invisibility is cool, especially on a combat unit, but I think Shrouding is the real gold. You can be really silly with cover saves if you have freely-available Shrouding, especially as Be'lakor can Jink freely since he has no ranged weapons (oh, you'll have to snap-fire Psychic Shriek, but who cares?) to give himself a 2+.
Okay thanks for the advice, yeah I will probably just stick with the sorc then for the support, and castability. One of my large worries is sometimes i play with my Dad and he plays psyker heavy Eldar, I know I can never compete unless I take a secondary detachment of Daemons.

I know psychic will never be my strong suit (I'm looking at 5 dice plus the D6 roll) but I already want to bring Typhus I don't see why not bring another psyker to add to Typhus. Especially as some support in a unit of Terminators behind a zombie screen.

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
he plays psyker heavy Eldar, I know I can never compete unless I take a secondary detachment of Daemons.
No, you can't out-dice Eldar with anything but Tyranids in the psychic phase, in my humble opinion. Don't even bother, he'll throw a load of dice at everything because he has a stupid number of Warp Charge and essentially ignores Perils on his Farseers.

·
JUGGERNUT
2,558 Posts
You can be really silly with cover saves if you have freely-available Shrouding, especially as Be'lakor can Jink freely since he has no ranged weapons (oh, you'll have to snap-fire Psychic Shriek, but who cares?) to give himself a 2+.
I'm so happy you pointed that out. Mah boy Be'lakor got even better! Too bad about Puppet Master, but oh well. Just gives me a chance to use different powers.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm so happy you pointed that out. Mah boy Be'lakor got even better! Too bad about Puppet Master, but oh well. Just gives me a chance to use different powers.
Yeah I just realized that too, who needs a 3+ armor save when he gets a 2+ cover save and a 4++? Only reason I think I will take a sorcerer over him is because he has to be the warlord. Since this is a plague marine army I'm making not having plague marines as troops is not worth it.

Another issus is a daemon prince NEEDS to take at least one patron deity power. Leaving me less options in other places making them not as good as psyker support.

·
Premium Member
6,195 Posts
You do realize you can take a nekkid 80 point nurgle lord and unlock the PM? It doesn't have to be the warlord to unlock them, just has to be in the primary detachment.

Bel'akor does not take a mark either. His whole background is focused on the fact he is a unmarked DP.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts