Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here is the thing I was wondering, I know I saw somewhere a few times they are empowered by more than Emotions of mortals.

Example being a story of Slaanesh is feared by all the gods because their own pride and excess empowers Slaanesh anyway.

Another fluff I read was all acts that coincide with the god empower them, not just emotions. Death and Plagues in the universe grant power to said Nurgle. Change, and magic empowers Tzeentch. basically things not link to emotions at all empower them.

So fluff experts, kindly point me to the sources of examples like the above if ya can, and cite some examples your self, and where I can find them if you can. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Khorne: the first meeting between humans on earth was full of fear and hatred and bloodshed. Probably that was the first spark of khorne being lit in the immaterium.
Also, martial pride and relentless carnages, selfsacrifice in pointless battles, all lend power to khorne.
That pieces of fluff was on the 3.5 ed chaos codex if i recall correctly.

·
Super Moderator
10,978 Posts
As I understand it, emotions and active worship feed the gods. Rituals and the like are often performed to grant power to the mortals or some similar reward, so there must be a trade off of some kind.

Worship itself could simply be a variant on the emotional aspect

If I remember right, the eldar gods were brought about by active worship as encouraged by the Old Ones, in order to actually create deities that could fight the c'tan. This could factor into why the Chaos Gods were unable to reach their current prominence much earlier, as the eldar (and by extension their gods) would have constituted the most powerful influence in the galaxy for quite some time.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Khorne: the first meeting between humans on earth was full of fear and hatred and bloodshed. Probably that was the first spark of khorne being lit in the immaterium.
Also, martial pride and relentless carnages, selfsacrifice in pointless battles, all lend power to khorne.
That pieces of fluff was on the 3.5 ed chaos codex if i recall correctly.
As I understand it, emotions and active worship feed the gods. Rituals and the like are often performed to grant power to the mortals or some similar reward, so there must be a trade off of some kind.

Worship itself could simply be a variant on the emotional aspect

If I remember right, the eldar gods were brought about by active worship as encouraged by the Old Ones, in order to actually create deities that could fight the c'tan. This could factor into why the Chaos Gods were unable to reach their current prominence much earlier, as the eldar (and by extension their gods) would have constituted the most powerful influence in the galaxy for quite some time.
Thanks for the sources and info, this helps a lot.

·
visit roleplay threads!
2,259 Posts
I am reading the Talon of Horus at the moment. Throughout, there are several attempts to try and more accurately describe the nature of the Warp and the power within it.

I think the Black Library authors in general have been gaining a more collected idea of what the Warp is and how to describe it. Recent novels have not been nearly as vague or conflicting in nature, from the ones I have read at least.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Wasn't that Khorne story in Liber Chaotica? It was like a battle so big that people were drowning in the blood. Its a fantasy diary of a scholar of the Empire which tries to record and study the individual chaos gods. There's even visions of connection between fantasy and 40k.
it could be. i honestly stopped to care where the fluff comes from, all that matters is that fluff still flows. :p

Reactions: Serpion5

·
Bane of Empires
5,131 Posts
So here is the thing I was wondering, I know I saw somewhere a few times they are empowered by more than Emotions of mortals.
Yes, I think so. Codex: Chaos Space Marines and Codex: Daemons both say that when Chaos worshippers die their souls conjoin with the gestalt consciousness of their patron god to increase its power.

Another fluff I read was all acts that coincide with the god empower them, not just emotions. Death and Plagues in the universe grant power to said Nurgle. Change, and magic empowers Tzeentch. basically things not link to emotions at all empower them. .
The way I interpret it is that the reason specific acts associated with each god - plagues with Nurgle, wars with Khorne, sorcery with Tzeentch, debauchery with Slaanesh etc - actually empowers the gods is because they produce en masse the prominent emotions that the gods feed off.

For example, warfare on any scale produces significant emotional outputs of anger and rage and it is that anger and rage that empower Khorne, not the actual bloodshed itself. Plagues and pestilence causes outpourings of despair which is what empowers Nurgle rather than the actual plague itself.

Given the nature of the warp, there must be more to it than that, but that's the way I've always thought of it.

·
Critique for da CriticGod
3,351 Posts
...For example, warfare on any scale produces significant emotional outputs of anger and rage and it is that anger and rage that empower Khorne, not the actual bloodshed itself. Plagues and pestilence causes outpourings of despair which is what empowers Nurgle rather than the actual plague itself.

Given the nature of the warp, there must be more to it than that, but that's the way I've always thought of it.
I would go further here and suggest that the chaos gods cannot be undone by undoing their followers. If there were no mortals in this galaxy left to empower the gods not only would they still have all of the other souls and power they previously absorbed but they have access to multiple dimensions and realities from which to recruit.

In Khorne's case I think the bloodshed itself DOES make a difference. In at least several places the fluff discussed that Khorne has no temples, the battlefield is his temple and every act of murder is an act of worship.

I'm still a little fuzzy on the actual nature and function of taking skulls in Khorne's name. Is the severed skull actually bodily transported to the realm of chaos when it is offered up? Or is it like some strange inverted transsubstatiation where the skull "here" is consecrated and a copy/replica is sent to the pile under Khorne's throne? Is this easier or harder when related to the size of the victim? For example when Roghrax Bloodhand attacked hive fleet Kraken to take large and impressive skulls where did Khorne put them? Does he play jenga with them?

·
Super Moderator
10,978 Posts
I'm still a little fuzzy on the actual nature and function of taking skulls in Khorne's name. Is the severed skull actually bodily transported to the realm of chaos when it is offered up? Or is it like some strange inverted transsubstatiation where the skull "here" is consecrated and a copy/replica is sent to the pile under Khorne's throne? Is this easier or harder when related to the size of the victim? For example when Roghrax Bloodhand attacked hive fleet Kraken to take large and impressive skulls where did Khorne put them? Does he play jenga with them?
There is no physical transfer from one realm to another. Not by simple acts like this. Remember nothing in the warp has any corporeal form. If a mortal were to witness it, his mind may interpret it that way but that's all it is, an interpretation.

The act of decapitation is an act of murder and a rather extreme one. Given that the gods represent emotional extremes, it makes sense that his followers would be driven to this. But it is still an emotional connection to the act that feeds Khorne, not the physical removal of the skull itself.

·
Critique for da CriticGod
3,351 Posts
...not the physical removal of the skull itself.
I think I prefer to imagine a group of Khornate FedEx . . . er HeadEx daemons delivering all the skulls offered up into a massive Khornate receiving center, "Skull Central" if you will.

·
Super Moderator
10,978 Posts
I think I prefer to imagine a group of Khornate FedEx . . . er HeadEx daemons delivering all the skulls offered up into a massive Khornate receiving center, "Skull Central" if you will.
Well the warp is without physical form so all those skulls will be metaphorical representations of the slain. :p

1 - 13 of 13 Posts