Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I threw together an army for the 'Ard Boys tourney coming up in a couple of weeks. I've since revised it once, but I feel more could be done.

My only limitation are the models I have available to me (I have around 7000 points of chaos, but it's pretty light on the tanks, and I don't any daemon princes or greater daemons)

Here's my list; please help me make it more efficient, if possible, as I have only used the 3.5 Chaos Codex about 3 times.

HQ- Abaddon the Despoiler

Troops- 8 Daemonettes

Troops- 8 Daemonettes

Troops- 8 Bloodletters

Troops- 6 Chaos Marines
4 Bolters, 1 Lascannon, 1 Plasma Gun

Troops- 6 Chaos Marines

Troops- 6 Chaos Marines
4 Bolters, 1 Lascannon, 1 Plasma Gun, MoCU, Icon, Infiltrate

Elites- 10 Chaos Marines
6 Sonic Blasters, 4 Blastmasters, Mark of Slaanesh, Icon, Infiltrate

Elites- 10 Chaos Marines
Bolt Pistols and CC Weapons, Frag Grenades, Mark of Khorne, 1 Plasma Pistol, Icon,
Aspiring Champion w/ Power Fist, Feel No Pain, Talisman of Burning Blood, 1 Daemon Spawn

Elites- 6 Chosen
Terminator Armor, 2 Reaper Autocannons, 2 Combi-meltas, 2 Combi-bolters, 6 Power Weapons, MoCU, Tank Hunters, Icon

Heavy- 10 Havocs
2 Missile Launchers, 2 Autocannons, 6 Bolters, Tank Hunters

Heavy- 1 Predator
Turret Autocannon, Sponson Heavy Bolters, Havoc Launcher

Heavy- 1 Defiler
Indirect Fire

Total: 2500

Edit: Thanks to DaemonsR'us's advice, I made some edits in red.

·
Registered
804 Posts
You can drop mutated hull and possession on the pred, its not going to be doing alot and players will probably focus more on your las/plas squads then with the points you've freed up upgrade the marines with MoK with chainaxes other then that, looks alright maybe another autocannon on the havocs, S8 autocannons are mean :twisted:

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
i would drop the pred althogether as the only armour on display its likely to get owned pretty fast especially in a game this big. Points could go on a sneaky chaos lord with daemonic speed, infiltrate, furious charge etc.... Very nasty and can sometimes relate to autowin vs certain armies.

Also a rather nasty combo is to use the daemon icon with a unit of infiltrating chosen rather than termies. Its then possible to get a first turn charge with Bloodletters or daemonettes if your lucky.

also a unit of oblits is always worth considering as there so versatile they will be useful no matter who you face

·
Premium Member
2,648 Posts
I like the army.

Though I'm not very familiar with the old 'dex, I do run 2x9 Terminators in the new dex, and they are a blast. I consider them worth the points definitely. I'm not too sure how this translates to the old dex, though.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
jigplums said:
i would drop the pred althogether as the only armour on display its likely to get owned pretty fast especially in a game this big. Points could go on a sneaky chaos lord with daemonic speed, infiltrate, furious charge etc.... Very nasty and can sometimes relate to autowin vs certain armies.

Also a rather nasty combo is to use the daemon icon with a unit of infiltrating chosen rather than termies. Its then possible to get a first turn charge with Bloodletters or daemonettes if your lucky.

also a unit of oblits is always worth considering as there so versatile they will be useful no matter who you face
I wish I had the oblits to make it work, unfortunately, I sold off my old crappy looking ones long ago, so I only have 1 left.

do you think it would be worth it to build another havoc squad at 5 men, with tank hunters and 2 missile launchers or autocannons and replace the predator with that? it comes out to the same price.

or pull the daemon spawn from the berzerkers and maybe a noise marine or 2 to beef the squad up into a real havoc squad?

·
Registered
804 Posts
10 strong havoc squad is fine, stick them in cover and watch them shoot things to bits witht he protection of a cover save, if you wanted to you can do a inflitrated 5 man squad of havocs with plasma's/meltas thats usually a pretty evil tank hunter squad make sure you just dedicate them to one key tank, the odds that they would live much longer is slim, but that also takes fire away from your zerkers and niose marines as they get into place etc etc, that one is just a thought, and chances are you will be fighting alot of marines, chain axes tear marines up normally i heavily sugest them, as well you can give your champ that one khornate axe that adds attacks on any rolls of 6 to hit, since you have alot of tank hunting in your list, you dont really need the PF, but it does tear through Independant chars, well everything has its pros/cons, my suggestion, play test this list a little, and then start changing it up, see how well the spawn and pred work, then see if theres a need to change them out, thats my best advice

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well, I got to playtest my list a little last night.

I played against tyranids and managed a solid victory

I made some rediculous mistakes, though. for one, I infiltrated my noise marines to a more advantageous position to lay down some fire, but unfortunately I was only 19 inches from a unit of his gaunts, and he got me first turn, effectively ruining the unit (I won combat 2 rounds later, and came out of it with 2 blastmasters that wrecked a unit of his genestealers)

I could have saved myself a lot of trouble had I just deployed them with my las-plas squads.
In the end I decided to drop infiltrate from them, giving me 25 points to spend in the army.

my other point of concern, is I managed to swing a 1st turn charge with my berzerkers against one of his hive tyrants. I softened him up with my heavy squads first, so it was an easy kill, since he only killed 2 guys, and I had hit him for 3 wounds during the shooting phase. I just sucker punched him with the giant mitten. BUT, I'd have been hard pressed, even with 24 more attacks coming at him, to kill him with his 2+ save, had I not hit him with a lot of fire first.

I think the leftover points will probably go into giving them khornate weapons after all.

feel no pain did nothing for me, in the end, as the champ then found himself receiving a charge from a carnifex. I wonder if that's a situational issue, or if I should scrap that for a few more points?

I also didn't even use the plasma pistol in the berzerker squad. That's more points I could use, and maybe by the end I could bump the zerker to 12 strong. the talisman of burning blood was one of the best things in the game, as it got me into position to tie up 600 points of his stuff for 3 rounds of combat, after the champ smacked down a tyrant. by the time he got out of it, his only remaining synapse was out of range to save his last carnifex from good old abby's daemon sword.

Even with the tanks hunters ability being worthless, I had the firepower to take down 2 monsterous creatures per shooting phase.
He had 4 carnifexes, 1 winged cc tyrant, and one shooty tyrant with 2 tyrant guard.

the only one that survived the game was the shooty tyrant, but he was down to 2 wounds, and the 2 guards had gotten smoked.

both my daemon squads performed abyssmally, but it was really down to dice rolls. they came in fine, and swung 2 combats in my favor immediately, killing some 16 gaunts in the assault phase, but after that, they just couldn't hit or wound anything. In return, the daemonettes were obliterated, and the bloodletters were dropped to just one... a lucky invul save on my part at least only netted my opponent half points.

anyway, here's what I'm planning after my playtesting.

HQ- Abaddon the Despoiler

Troops- 8 Daemonettes

Troops- 10 Bloodletters

Troops- 6 Chaos Marines

Troops- 6 Chaos Marines

Troops- 6 Chaos Marines

Troops- 6 Chaos Marines

Elites- 8 Chaos Marines
4 Sonic Blasters, 4 Blastmasters, Mark of Slaanesh, Icon

Elites- 11 Chaos Marines
Bolt Pistols and Khornate Chain Weapons, Frag Grenades, Mark of Khorne, Icon,
Aspiring Champion w/ Axe of Khorne, Daemonic Strength, Talisman of Burning Blood

Elites- 6 Chosen
Terminator Armor, 2 Reaper Autocannons, 2 Combi-meltas, 2 Combi-bolters, 6 Power Weapons, MoCU, Tank Hunters, Icon

Heavy- 8 Havocs
2 Missile Launchers, 2 Autocannons, 4 Bolters, Tank Hunters

Heavy- 8 Havocs
2 Missile Launchers, 2 Autocannons, 4 Bolters, Tank Hunters

Heavy- 1 Defiler
Indirect Fire

Total: 2500

·
Registered
804 Posts
Give your zerker champ a axe of khorne and a melta bomb :lol: dont really have to do that but its a thought, again axe of khorne is a power weap that adds attacks for any 6's you roll ot hit, ANY, meaning you can keep rolling 6's and adding attacks, but again, think give champ metla bomb, and it gives not as much protection as a powerfist but it gives you something when you charge a tank because of blood rage or a dreadnaught walks into your zerkers, as well, even if the havocs didnt get a chance to use tank hunters, no biggy, its only because nids are bio-whatever, any other tank(i think other then the monolith) is affected

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
actually, unless they changed the wording on tank hunters, it even affects monoliths, I believe. :twisted:

Although we don't have a big necron presense at my store.

I'll have to consider the axe of khorne.
maybe if I gave him D. strength, it would get me to where I could still hurt big things if I need to.

I'll have to look at the points.

Thanks for the input. :)

·
Registered
804 Posts
No tank hunters doesnt affect monoliths due to the effect that tank hunters only adds +1 str for vehicles, and living metal cancels anything that is added to a weapons str for specifically armor penetration

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
that's weak. I don't understand why they just veto anything that might make the monolith less broken.

·
Registered
804 Posts
That veto is called phase out :lol: Get your troops into CC with his warrions and the player will probably use portal to get his warrions out of CC his turn, but in affect disabling his offensive guns rendering the monolith almost useless, and if he doesnt protect his necron phase out units, he'll phase out

1 - 15 of 15 Posts