Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
I see it like this. Chaos is a mortal, material name on the powers of the inmatetium. The chaos gods are not chaotic in the words true meaning but their followers sow chaos cause it in turn generates the emotion that the gods feed upon.

Everything the gods do is perfectly planed to create as much suffering, hate, pain, corruption as is possible. They even don't want a total chaos since it would destroy itself and the emotion influx would stop. The ultimately goal would be an equilibrium between order and chaos where no side is strong enough to victor over the other. Just an nedleds strife between the two.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Normally I'm not one pointing out spelling mistakes, but it is VERY impressive how you have spelled Chaos wrong in every single instance in that post
Wow I just noticed that to my shame. I'm gonna have to do an Ice Run for this and dunk myself into the Charlestown River. I'm long due anyway. :p

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I think that this discussion needs some help (although @Kreuger speaks like an Apostate Preacher. Have you fought on Vraks??)
Hereby I summon the Bringer of Light, the Magnificent, the Perfect! I SUMMON THEE, OH GREAT @Lux !!!!
Chaos along with order are nothing more than distorted illusions of the same concept, human belief along with existence's desire for control is what led to the perception of chaos and order. Chaos as well as Order are one and the same in that they are a fraction of that fundamental essence, the one which composes the flow of each instance of reality.

Humans often perceive chaos as that which has no true discernible pattern, no true causality or correlation to something they can truly "control". Furthermore, Chaos is often perceived as that which humans do not find desirable when in fact it might be entirely controllable. Chaos has shifted from being a state of being to that of a societal construct, it has become a genre in which the undesirable is allocate to.

What one may perceive as being chaotic during one period of time may in fact transition into being the epitome of order in another period of time, either due to technological advancements or a shift of philosophical paradigm as well as societal understanding.

All is chaos as well as order simultaneously, and once you begin to understand you see that all is inherently "nothing". The only chaotic aspects of reality are those you desire to control but perceive that you currently do not, this then becomes chaos in that paradigm. The only aspects of order are those you have influenced yourself into believing that you have some form of control over, this then becomes order in that paradigm.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Thanks. That was insipiring.

·
Registered
227 Posts
The Chaos gods may follow some pattern, but I think to best understand Chaos, all you need to do is to look at the boon table in the 6th edition Chaos Codex. You have just as much chance of becoming a Daemon Prince as becoming a spawn.
That ultimately I think represents the moody nature of the Dark gods and pretty much why they are chaotic. They can promise you great things, but they can also turn you into a crazy possessed monster just for the shit and giggles.

·
Registered
773 Posts
The Chaos gods may follow some pattern, but I think to best understand Chaos, all you need to do is to look at the boon table in the 6th edition Chaos Codex. You have just as much chance of becoming a Daemon Prince as becoming a spawn.
That ultimately I think represents the moody nature of the Dark gods and pretty much why they are chaotic. They can promise you great things, but they can also turn you into a crazy possessed monster just for the shit and giggles.
Some of that is as you said punishing or rewarding their followers. Or just on a whim they change the fight to see how it goes.
Overcoming adversity for greater reward, or Khorne glances at a Tzeentch armies fight and throws a rock at them. Or their own god gets bored of watching the fight and glances away. So all that additional power from the focus of their god looking over them suddenly disappears and they end up stripped of that boost.

·
Registered
962 Posts
I think of it like this. Yes chaos as a whole pretty crazy, but the gods are just different aspects of it. Take Khorne for example, he is represented as rage, murder, hatred, etc. Think of those adjectives as body parts that make up what Khorne is. His entire being is purely that, so he can't really conceive anything not in his nature. That's the chaos gods tend to fight with each other, including their extreme selfishness.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Of course Chaos is chaotic. Their behavior is just marked on the tin. They basically screws over everyone just because they can. They have always done so, its their nature.
And yet they follow a linear path.

Khorne encourages bloodshed.

Tzeentech scheming.

Slaneesh excess.

Nurgle despair.

If they were truly chaotic, they would have no followers due to switching philosophies on a whim and it would make for a shitty story.

But I would like to see them revert back more to their description as being 'fickle' beings.

·
Cruel Commissar
856 Posts
And yet they follow a linear path.
Says who? You? And you seem to not have a proper command about the word fickle even.

If you worship Khorne, sure he wants bloodshed but he doesn't care which blood is shed. How is that not chaotic?

If you worship Slaanesh you will experience sensations through random mutations for nod good reasons just to please the Prince of Pleasure. How is that not chaotic?

Tzeencth (likely spelled wrong). Well he is the god of backstabbing and in fluff is even stated to be the only one of the Chaos gods that at occasion work with the IOM at his own accord. How is this not chaotic?

Nurgle. Well to worship him according to fluff you must randomly contract a very nasty disease. According to fluff worship of him doesn't happen until you are in deep throws of that disease. And yet this somehow appears orderly to you?

Ehm from this I think you need to do some major research about fluff or stop confusing your own opinions for fluff. Sorry if I sound arrogant.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Says who? You? And you seem to not have a proper command about the word fickle even.

If you worship Khorne, sure he wants bloodshed but he doesn't care which blood is shed. How is that not chaotic?

If you worship Slaanesh you will experience sensations through random mutations for nod good reasons just to please the Prince of Pleasure. How is that not chaotic?

Tzeencth (likely spelled wrong). Well he is the god of backstabbing and in fluff is even stated to be the only one of the Chaos gods that at occasion work with the IOM at his own accord. How is this not chaotic?

Nurgle. Well to worship him according to fluff you must randomly contract a very nasty disease. According to fluff worship of him doesn't happen until you are in deep throws of that disease. And yet this somehow appears orderly to you?

Ehm from this I think you need to do some major research about fluff or stop confusing your own opinions for fluff. Sorry if I sound arrogant.
Welcome back Warlock in Training.

·
Premium Member
6,195 Posts
How about a little less chest thumping from both of you guys. Thanks :)

21 - 35 of 35 Posts