Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so for a change of pace i have decided to try out chaos marines, and i am going for a mainly cc army with good close range power.

Kharn-165

Chosen-170
5, 3x meltagun, flamer, rhino

Chosen-170
5, 3x meltagun, flamer, rhino

Berserkers- 254
8, champion with power weapon, rhino

CSM- 245
9, champion, power weapon, 2x flamer, rhino, MoS

CSM- 245
9, champion, power weapon, 2x flamer, rhino, MoS

Greater daemon-100

Obliterators-150

1499 points

Pretty simple battle plan here; the obliterators provide long range fire support and move up with the advance (or maybe DS in depending on my opponent), kharn joins the berserkers and act as the spearhead (this is where i try to use sneaky chaos tactics :grin:) with the CSM following. Hopefully the enemy will focus most of their fire on the berserkers and kharn, alloing the CSM to move up and then release an angry greater daemon to beat the shit out of anything and everything. The chosen outflank and take advantage of the spearhead distracting the enemy and unleash hell on anything i decide i dont want alive.

what do you guys think? do i need more ranged support? is this a good way to deliver the greater daemon?

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
It all makes sense, but it's far too dependant on everything going right. If your opponent got a lucky hit on the 1st rhino, your whole plan is wrecked, but if your gunna stick with it;

Get rid of the Flamers on the CSM, you could only take 1 per squad anyway.

Can't decide what to do about your MoS;
- Do you intend to tie your CSM up in combat with HQ's/Elites and let yoru GD run free on puny troop choices?
- Or will you do troops vs troops, and wage epic battles for Chaos; GD vs HQ's. If the latter take MoS, if the former replace it with MoK; troops will either be MEQ or less, unless your against eldar, so you wont need the initiative, and 1 more attack + charge, your more likely to kill more troop choices.

I'd like to hear how a battle goes for you, I think this could work well, but i can't see it happening in my head.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My main idea was to build a list that could massacre the enemy in CC, but i agree with you; I would have to get lucky for this to work.

What would you suggest? mainly I want to have good cc punch, preferably including the greater daemon, and i built the list around that. should i go for smaller CSM squads and drop the berserkers and kharn in favour of something else?

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
My army is CC, and the basic tactic to CC domination, is distraction.

You need something That will sit there and take things out from a distance, that will really annoy your opponent to make them attack that unit, rather than the Khorne Berserkers/Kharn the betrayer that is hurtling towards them :)
I wont tell you what i use, because it'll benefit you more if you think for yourself, so that you learn...

But don't be affraid to spend a fair few points on the diversion, and the bigger the better.

·
Registered
496 Posts
My army is CC, and the basic tactic to CC domination, is distraction.

You need something That will sit there and take things out from a distance, that will really annoy your opponent to make them attack that unit, rather than the Khorne Berserkers/Kharn the betrayer that is hurtling towards them :)
I wont tell you what i use, because it'll benefit you more if you think for yourself, so that you learn...

But don't be affraid to spend a fair few points on the diversion, and the bigger the better.
to add...
its not only about what your units can do for you, its about what they can make the opponant do

things to consider would be Defilers with Battle cannons and mass DCCW's they provide a good distraction, and if they do get in range they arnt completely useless, you can kit them however you like. but a Battle cannon will give you some long range AoE

a Raptor Squad with MoS make very good raiders since they can strike first and therefor wont take as many attacks back, gread for taking down squads of longfangs and such

a Wing-lash Prince obveiously because making your enemy move 2D6 is just going to completely bone up his lines and is going to give you that massive advantage of being able to charge them faster

MOAR BERSERKERS >:D! just make sure you ALWAYS put a powerfist on the champ, anything else is a waste of time and points basicly
other then that it explains itself

Noice marines also make good raiders due to their sonic blasters they wont be as effective as khorne in close combat, but a squad of them with full sonic blasters can be a hastle for your enemy, especialy since they get an extra shot if they dont move :D

Vindi's are obveiously close range Ass-rape cannons and therefore are always high prioritys for enemy fire power

thats really all i can think of that would possibly work in your list :3

happy slaughtering

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
Yep flame! I use 2 Defilers with 4 DCCW's and their Trusty Battlecannon, and 2 Obliterators :D

send that lot 1 direction, flank with rhino's and DP

72" battle cannons and 48" lascannons get pretty fucking annoying to anyone, so they get rid of that, and before they realise, my berserkers/kharn/daemon prince have all assaulted game over.

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Hail,

And to add further comment, if your canny opponent leaves the Defilers alone(concentrates on Berzerkers in rhinos) the Defilers/obliterators can still inflict massive damage. Even if things aren't going your way (bad dice rolls,etc.) you want a lot of good units to make your opponent's victory a very narrow one.
On a fluff note, Khorne only cares for the spilling of blood, a large tally of skulls and senseless slaughter. You can claim moral victory when the numbers of the dead on both sides are piled high, regardless of win or lose.

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!!

World Eater

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the helpful advice guys, I will try to incorporate into a list and have it posted up later today.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts