Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts

Been over a month now since the basic Chaos Marine Squad box has been listed as "Sold Out" on the GW web store.
Also 'sold out' and gone now are;
- Chaos Marine Attack Squad - depending on your region... North America still has 'em, but other regions are sold out.

- Possessed (for 3 months now - despite the "new" Crimson Slaughter supplement requiring at least 1 unit in every single formation!)

- Solo Biker

- Bike Upgrade pack

- Emperor's Children Lord & Chaos Sorcerer w/Force staff (complete expected, since these are both ancient metals from the glory days of '01-'03)

- Deathguard, Iron Warriors & Black Legion shoulder pads (not unexpected, since ALL old school metal pads are being discontinued...)

And no, this is NOT a re-boxing with 32mm bases!! GW already re-boxed the basic CSM kit shortly after the release of the Khornekin codex!

It's finally happened - the great squatting of Chaos has begun!:cray: (at least it'll make Imperials happy...)
Note: above comment contain extremely high levels of salt & sarcasm.

·
Registered
959 Posts
I find it completely unlikely for Chaos to be squatted. As foolish as some of GW's decisions are, I can't comprehend them cutting Chaos of all factions, considering how important they are in the lore.

·
Premium Member
6,195 Posts
Never mind the fact there is plenty of new sculpts for them, most likely it is new kits coming out. Let him be salty though, it seems to make him feel better.

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
I think I still have some CSMs and Possessed in boxes, I gotta double check those...and see if they are selling on Ebay at a high price...

Thanks post!

·
Registered
455 Posts
Note: above comment contain extremely high levels of salt & sarcasm.
Beware, sarcasm is frowned upon here, or taken completely seriously.

Anyway, is this a sign of new things to come? Perhaps some new CSM?
Although as scscofield mentioned, there are already a fair few new sculpts.
I think Chaos has a pretty nice set of models already, (with the exception of the dinobots, which we've discussed in another thread)
Also, I've never much liked the models for posessed csm. But to be honest, possessed csm are perfect for modding, so you're better off creating your own custom models, or using forgeworld Gal Vorbak.

If GW were to introduce new models for Chaos, I'd rather they update the characters. A new Ahriman or Lucius would be wonderful.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Beware, sarcasm is frowned upon here, or taken completely seriously.

Anyway, is this a sign of new things to come? Perhaps some new CSM?
Although as scscofield mentioned, there are already a fair few new sculpts.
I think Chaos has a pretty nice set of models already, (with the exception of the dinobots, which we've discussed in another thread)
Also, I've never much liked the models for posessed csm. But to be honest, possessed csm are perfect for modding, so you're better off creating your own custom models, or using forgeworld Gal Vorbak.

If GW were to introduce new models for Chaos, I'd rather they update the characters. A new Ahriman or Lucius would be wonderful.
Almost our entire model range is from the early to mid 2000's... Only Sisters are generally older as a whole than we are.

The lastest stuff - the Raptors/Warptalons, Fiends, Hellchicken & Dreadnought (I refuse to call it a stupid Hellbrute!), is it...

The basic CSM squad was overall the same set that originally released in 2000/01. The only change was the addition of a couple new helmets, and a re-organised 'command sprue', that still managed to miss out on half of the squad's basic upgrades.

The Termie kit is pretty much the single worst kit in the entire GW range... You can't build anything close to a functional squad it's so dysfunctional and missing so many options.
The Possessed kit was decent for it's time (2007), but looks genuinely out of place & hilariously goofy now, when compared to the newer sculpts.

Noise marines, Plaguemarines, Thousand Sons, Havocs, Oblits, et all are again, all from the 2000-2003 period. not to mention they're either simple upgrade kits, or else awful Finecrap now.
Havocs are abysmal, and it only costs nearly $250 retail to get a squad w/4 autocannons!

Chosen still don't have a physical kit, and Berserkers aren't even from this millennium!

Overall our range is ancient, and severely lacking in even it's basic upgrade options... It's really at the point that we need a Dark Eldar level re-boot & overhaul.

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,046 Posts
Chaos getting new shit? Very cool.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Obviously replacements/new sculpts are something that's gotta come eventually, the question is simply, 'how long a wait?'

When I worked at the local GW store, we actually went about 6 months without a 40k core set, during the end of 4th (and Battle for Macragge) to the release of 5th (Assault on Black Reach)
All of the reliable rumor mongers have explicitly said there's no big Chaos update coming this year. (Sad Panda, Lady Atia)
HOWEVER!
There are rumors of new plastic Thousand Sons coming, "some time after summer".

So it's really not inconceivable that GW might end up going 6-8+ months without a basic Chaos Marine kit.
Hopefully a new kit comes with a new codex, as that's the only way we'll ever viably see GW fix our biggest issues, one of which being that Chaos hasn't had any updates to our basic special/heavy weapons...
We simply can't compete these days when our 'best' weapons are still Plasma guns & Autocannons, while everyone else is toting around Grav, Shuripults/Scatlasers, Gauss, FRFSRF, etc...

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
So it's really not inconceivable that GW might end up going 6-8+ months without a basic Chaos Marine kit.
Hopefully a new kit comes with a new codex, as that's the only way we'll ever viably see GW fix our biggest issues, one of which being that Chaos hasn't had any updates to our basic special/heavy weapons...
We simply can't compete these days when our 'best' weapons are still Plasma guns & Autocannons, while everyone else is toting around Grav, Shuripults/Scatlasers, Gauss, FRFSRF, etc...
while everyone else is toting around Grav, Shuripults/Scatlasers, Gauss, FRFSRF, etc...
Gauss, FRFSRF
When you're claiming that Bolters that need 6s to glance and 12 BS3 Str3 AP- shots are better than Baleflamers and an AP3 Torrent flamer you are seriously grasping at straws on the whole 'b-but muh Chaos are terrible' riff. CSM are in a worse state than Eldar/Daemons/Space Marines/Tau/Necrons, I agree completely, but with the Sorceror Cabal, Heldrakes, Spell Familiars, BBoS, Juggerlord with Axe of Blind Fury, Be'lakor, Renegade Knights being strictly better versions of the Imperial ones, Nurgle Spawn, Battle Brothers with Daemons and more that I'm sure I've missed, I've had some very hard fights against CSM and still find them very much capable of applying a smackdown and they still have some really good tools in their arsenal. Sure, they're not Eldar, where other than the special characters they have no 'bad unit' in their whole Codex, and they're not Space Marines with unparalleled diversity in listbuilding, but they're far from this useless bag of crap that everyone says they are (as a side note, every CSM player I know runs actual Chaos Space Marines, the Troops choice, and I honestly don't see why people claim they're the worst unit in 40k).

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,046 Posts
Obviously replacements/new sculpts are something that's gotta come eventually, the question is simply, 'how long a wait?'

When I worked at the local GW store, we actually went about 6 months without a 40k core set, during the end of 4th (and Battle for Macragge) to the release of 5th (Assault on Black Reach)
All of the reliable rumor mongers have explicitly said there's no big Chaos update coming this year. (Sad Panda, Lady Atia)
HOWEVER!
There are rumors of new plastic Thousand Sons coming, "some time after summer".

I doubt very much that management would be content to leave a primary faction without their core unit choice for half a year. I'd guess you see a CSM box in a few months, at most.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Well things are different over here in Australia:

- Chaos Marine Attack Squad is no longer available

- Possessed were temporarily out of stock, but have been in stock for quite a while now.

- Solo Biker is still in stock

- Bike Upgrade pack is no longer available

- Emperor's Children Lord is gone, but the Chaos Sorcerer with Force staff is still here

- Only the death guard shoulder pads are gone, you can still buy all the others

So while I definitely think chaos is getting a reboot, I don't think that it is happening in the immediate future.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts