Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Basically me, the CSM play, was talking about icons with a main opponent, Eldar Farseer spammer.
He wanted to know if he could use mindwar to kill of my icon bearer and then deny me the effect. He basically argues this out of convenience. I argued back after checking the codex, that the Icon is merely a symbol of the dedication to a single god, it is not a magic object that bestows the given ability. The Ability comes directly from the dark gods, not the icon. Hence, kiling the bearer would not affect it.

Still, what does Heresy Online say about this?
I wasn't able to find a direct answer int he book, so I'll ask here, just to be sure.

·
Registered
468 Posts
if it's a non-cult unit the icon itself confers the mark so when it dies you lose the bonus, it's why people generally take the cult unit if they want the bonus and for standard CSM units they take IoCG.

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
P81 - if the Icon Bearer is killed, the effects of the Icon are lost. So yes, he can be picked out with mindwar, so that you lose the benefit of the mark. It kind of sucks, yes, and is why (as OpTi says) many simply choose the Cult units instead of the standard guys.

Remember though that the farseer still needs LOS to the target, and the target can take a cover save, so just keep him at the back of the squad, and as behind cover as much as possible, and you should be right. With a cover save, you should have about a 70%- 80% chance of surviving a mindwar (depending on LD9 or LD10), which isn't bad, all things considered.

·
Registered
496 Posts
a while ago my mate was plaing eldar... i was playing nids (4th ed nids)

he used mind war on a gaunt because he had nothing else to use it on...

Gaunts had LD5 he had :D10

he rolled a 1, i rolled a 6...

spell fizzled and he quit eldar :D

Gaunts tank mindwars :3

but as for ontopicness, the Eldar player and choose ANY model he wants as the target, in the case of CSM's he can kill your icon bearer to kill off its effect

take cult troops :D

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
a Mark is something that is always active. an Icon give that "mark" to the whole unit while it still is there. No icon, no blessing. It sucks i know, so much so that my Champion was often the one to carry it but modal wise it's now on a normal guy. Anyway it's simple. No icon, no benafits.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I see, I see... Well, damn you all in the sights of the Darkgods for correcting me XD

This makes Icons a lot less usable than earlier thought... And the specific units more valuable. It all makes sense I suppose, but it's rather sucky still.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Icons are really only usefull if you plan on having deep strikers (daemons / obliterators) to make use of them. Chaos undivided on havocs to ensure they don't run off the board if they suffer a few wounds in a bad shooting phase but 10/10 times you are better off with the respective cult troopers than with the icon

·
Super Moderator
8,564 Posts
... 10/10 times you are better off with the respective cult troopers than with the icon
I would say 9/10: if you are building a mono-god force then - unless you want really limited selection - icons give you access to heavy weapons, infiltrating meltaguns, and many other fun things.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts