Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now i have to say that being a Tzeetch play i want lots of shooty stuff and Havocs seems a good idead...however there current kit is a hybrid kit and doesn't give me wha i want really so i was wondering about taking a 5 man box of Chaos and then converting them with the Devestaros box and a few Chaos Heavy bolters i have and making a 5 man strong unit with 4 Heavy bolters(who cares if there not that good. with thta amount of bullets i don't need to be) I have thoguht of other "types" of Devs but they seem the msot appeling. (lascannon Havocs are too expensive, Missile launchers are boring, Autocannons will be a btich to convert and the rest are Rapid fire or Assault and i might as well take chosen instead for them)

I wanted your opion on how/if this would work and how best to field them such as should i give them an Icon etc.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I say give them the MoN, upgrade their weapons, and just have them at the back of your side of the table for the whole game, shootin' the crap outta the enemy. When I field havocs, that's what I do. If my math is right, that's about 200 points for a good heavy support unit.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Don't take any Icon, it's not that useful. You'd better take some "ablative wounds" for your precious heavy weapons, the more the better, because +1 T or a 5+ invul is not really important when you sit in cover and all that can reach you will have S 7+ (krak missiles, lascannons, railguns, battle canon...). It may be a good idea to take the IoCG to avoid fleeing however, and it's really cheap.
About the weapons choice, all are fine, as long as you take 4 times the same weapon. 4x Heavy bolter will destroy hordes, 4x lascanons are the bane of vehicles and MCs.
About the minis themselves, it is a good idea, I did nearly the same thing with my lascannon Havocs (one of them is half-metal, used the Iron Warriors lascannon).

·
Registered
674 Posts
Take the Devastator box, and snip off the vanilla SM helmets. They should all have targeting sensors on their left side. Carefully cut those off, and trim them down until they fit over one CSM head eye-lens. Carefully glue them over the eye-lens, trimming down the area if it doesn't fit properly. Make sure it fits before you glue it in place, and be prepared to sacrifice a few helmets to plastic cement for the Glory of Chaos.

Results should look great, though. I've tried it, and it seems to work if you have a sharp knife, some time, and are careful where the knife goes.

Then again, spikey marines would have battle damage.... :p

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Sounds like a great idea modelling wise.

As for battlefield effectiveness, i used a 5 man squad with heavy bolters and they killed a squad of gaunts, 4 nid warriors and held up a carnifex for the rest of the game.

Not bad for a 135 point unit:victory:

·
Registered
644 Posts
Sounds like a great idea modelling wise.

As for battlefield effectiveness, i used a 5 man squad with heavy bolters and they killed a squad of gaunts, 4 nid warriors and held up a carnifex for the rest of the game.

Not bad for a 135 point unit:victory:
On a topic sidenote, I have always wanted to try that. I imagine it is geared to hordes, though?

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
take a 5 man squad on foot with 4 lascannons its 215 points. i take 3 squads. but if you are insistent in using heavy bolters you can always make some out of platic card. i made a plasma cannon for a client once and i also made storm shields and lightning hammers for his sternguard. ill see if i can get a hold of him and get some snaphots if anyone want to see them. the storm shield looks like a eagle wing from the loyalist symbol and the plasmacannon looks head to toe legit just get some thick and thin plastic card and take 3-4 layers glue it together and cut it to size with a hack saw then cut it to shape the bolter and take thin plastic sheets to do the detail. ill post the plamacannon for you if you message me.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i would love to see it 5tonsledge.
I'm not that a great converter and my best work is my Tzeetch Lord which i promiced i will psot up at some point once i finished painting the bugger.

I pritty much desided that i wanted Heavy bolters as my Tzeethc army very mcuh lacks anti-hrode stuff with msot wepaons being for dealign with MEQ's and almost every unti has soemthign to pop tanks(bolt of Change, Combi-meltas Prince etc). I would take a 5 man Chaos box that i get with the Battle force as i need that box soon anyway and build up 2 of them as normal heavy bolters that come with the C-marine box, one i will build as a Champion using one of the spare Champion heads(maybe that lovely Tzeetch one) and the ohter 2 would be Chaso bodys, legs etc with the normal marine Heavy B with a little conversions on the back packs to make them look more chaos like with spikes, skulls and the like. This would also allow me to build that Multi-melta for my normal marine army(you cna never have too many Multi-meltas) and some Lascannons if i wanted or strip whats left for parts(i still need soem back packs and sholder pads for some Death Company conversions i have)

·
Registered
1,740 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
Personally, I don't see why people would use Havocs with Heavy Weapons, when you have Obliterators doing the same more efficiantly and more flexible.

What I would use Havocs for, is a mobile melta unit of pure destruction. A group of havocs in a rhino with 4 melta's would take care of just about any vehicle. Heck, in a 1750 list, you could have 3 chosen squads with 4 melta, 3 havoc squads with all melta and 4 squads of plague marines with melta. And a bare-minimum lord, of course.

That's a lot of anti-mech ;)

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well Chosen do Melta better what with the ability to outflank and all and i'm playing Tzeetch so Obliterators arn't as fluffy as Havocs would be.

·
Registered
614 Posts
And Obliterators can be instant killed by every S8 AP2 weapon of the game, whereas for havocs you need to kill 6 of them before you can remove the heavy weapons
And Havocs cost less
And have 1 more heavy weapon
And can deal pretty well in melee if needed
However jaws, it would be fluffy to have Oblits as well, Thousand Sons often attack to get their hands on some ancient relics, I suppose they sometimes find advanced technological relics they could give to the Oblits in exchange of some help

·
Premium Member
12,830 Posts

·
Great Unclean One
2,611 Posts
...I'm playing Tzeetch so Obliterators aren't as fluffy as Havocs would be.
Ahh, but what could be more appealing to the Changer Of The Ways than something that constantly changes and reshapes its own physical form? I actually think Obliterators are the Tzeentchiest* heavy support choice of all for this very reason :)

*OK, so 'Tzeentchiest' isn't actually a word. But it should be :biggrin:

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
yea jaws ill make a heavy bolter and take pics in steps so you can get a glimpse on how to make them. and Cruor99 havocs are nice because of transportation traits. you can get them in a rhino. also you can take 4 weapons that you know that you want. me i use a 5 man havoc squad with 4 lascannons i just want them to sit in back and shoot they cost 215 points a squad i take 3 squads of that. now oblits are good but for the job my havocs do would be pointless with oblits for one they only have 3 shots and second they are 75 points just to stand in the back of the map. so i choose to use havocs. dont get me wrong oblits are good but only if you are moving and shooting. mine just stand.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
I always find that more bodies is always better for havoks then better stats.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
true but for the 2500 list im running im trying to use them specifically as support. people will be more worried about other things rather than the havocs.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
sometimes i like to take rhinos with my havocs so that i can block my opponent from line of sight. for instance i took rhinos in a game with my havocs and lined my havocs up to shoot at one target then i moved the rhino up along side them so that nothing could see the havocs directly or at all. its cool because it saved my havocs from vidicator shells and plasma cannon fire. got to love the rhino transport its the perfect barrier for your shit.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts