Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
*Taking into account CotE's point that time is a bit insane in the warp:

I believe (correct me if I'm wrong), Khorne was the first* of the gods to fully awaken. Can't remember where I read/heard that from though.

I'd guess Nurgle would have been next*, followed by Tzeentch. It seems to me that despair, depression, fear(?) and all those other lovely things Nurgle stands for would have been more prevalent in the past*, rather than the elaborate planning, scheming and hope that Tzeentch likes. But that's just my take on it.

Unlike Khorne I don't think it's ever stated whether Nurgle or Tzeentch awakened first*.
It goes Khorne, Tzeentch, Nurgle, Slaanesh in awakenings and that's pretty much how it is in terms of consistent power as well.
hm would explain why Khorne and Slannesh dislike each other aside from the obvious the younger in my opinion seems to be on a par with the blood god power wise with murder closley linked to sex and drugs, violence the same and blood definatly the same just my opinion
Slaanesh's power source will always wane before any of the other Gods, for when pleasure and self-indulgence has run it's course violence, despair, and change will remain.

·
Bane of Empires
5,131 Posts
and that's pretty much how it is in terms of consistent power as well.
Perhaps, perhaps not. We don't really have any reference for the twists and turns of the Great Game, and often it is so complex that it is not so clear cut and straightforward.

Slaanesh's power source will always wane before any of the other Gods, for when pleasure and self-indulgence has run it's course violence, despair, and change will remain.
Of course though, Slaanesh also draws power from violence, despair and change - through the excessive nature to which they are inevitably taken. There will always be considerable overlaps across the sources of the individual gods' power.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Wait. When you say 'we' do you mean humanity? And did you mean to say the Chaos Gods are not present in other Galaxies or Universes?

If you meant it's because humanity is not present then I have to say- what a load of bollocks.
i think you are confusing several terms.

although the warp is not identical in its size and dimensions to real space, it can roughly be plotted, point for point, against it. that means that the warp 'extends' beyond the Milkyway.

Chaos is not the natural state of the Warp, naturally it is flat and featureless. when it is fed with emotion (amongst other things) it begins to deform (which is why its called the Warp). in the Milkway 'we' (the human race) given the name 'chaos' to the particular way that our area of the Warp is warped.

its perfectly possible that the Warp is deformed in other parts of the universe to correspond with life forms in other galaxies, and these deformities might even be comparable to the Milkway's Chaos, but it is otherwise completely unrelated, in exactly the same way that sentient life in both the Milkyway and neighbouring galaxy would be similar in some regards but otherswise completely unrelated.

v]That of course depends entirely on your definition of the term.[/quote]

it does indeed. but in the real world we wouldn't regard something so lacking in trascendency as a god. we might talk about Greek and Roman 'gods' (who are roughly comparable) but no one holds them particularly high regard these days.

Yet at the same time they are immortal, they are eternal and the current four dominant gods have always been.
er... except that we can categorically pin point when Slaanesh was created.

time flows differently in the Warp, but that doesn't mean it doesn't flow at all. there are a number of occasions when GW has described the fact that the current big four have not always been. and Slaanesh is always described as the youngest; a concept that would be totally meaningless if they had 'always existed'.

they are not mortal in the same sense as us, but they do have beginnings and they do wax and wane in power.

·
Registered
75 Posts
i think you are confusing several terms.

although the warp is not identical in its size and dimensions to real space, it can roughly be plotted, point for point, against it. that means that the warp 'extends' beyond the Milkyway.
Then why is warp travel outside the milkyway not possible? Or is it?

·
Bane of Empires
5,131 Posts
er... except that we can categorically pin point when Slaanesh was created.

time flows differently in the Warp, but that doesn't mean it doesn't flow at all. there are a number of occasions when GW has described the fact that the current big four have not always been. and Slaanesh is always described as the youngest; a concept that would be totally meaningless if they had 'always existed'.

they are not mortal in the same sense as us, but they do have beginnings and they do wax and wane in power.
Check the Chaos Daemons codex out, it cleary states (under the Birth of Slaanesh on page eight if memory serves) that when he is described as the youngest god and as being 'born' at the point of the Fall of the Eldar that it is strictly looking at things from a chronological and material viewpoint, which cannot easily or even accurately be applied to the empyrean. Within the warp, Slaanesh has always existed and yet has never existed. My previous post (stating that Chaos is 'mortal', eternal and a complete fabrication all at once) is justified in the lore.

but in the real world we wouldn't regard something so lacking in trascendency as a god.
I imagine quite a few belief systems and individuals actually do. But even so, its just one set of definitions for the very ambiguous term of 'god'. If entities that maintained as much power and influence that the Chaos Gods have were actually real, I imagine many people would happily describe them as 'gods', and whose to say they would be wrong to do so?

·
Registered
173 Posts
If time has no meaning to them why should space. Of course they have sway outside the 40k universe. Slannesh probably blew up Cripton.
Krypton. just letting you know how to spell it. :)

41 - 49 of 49 Posts