Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yo, More fluff threads by me i know, But the truth is i learn so much about my army just off the back of you guys' incredible array of Knowledge, I can't stop asking more questions :D

Anyone know of any specific fluff areas that mean Chaos Don't use Drop Pods, or whether it's just a case of; 'They just can't'

:D

Also discuss what impact you think the Chaos Using them would have on fluff of the future, Obviously It'd have some kind of Bonus to it, But a drastically big bonus, or insignificant; Or even a negative effect!

regards,
ROT

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
well chaos do use drop pods, at the moment i can think of only one book where chaos use a drop pod and thats in soul hunter oh and i think storm of iron was well and maybe some other novels and other bits of fluff but yes they do use them, its called the dreadclaw, its a special kinda of pod because it can be used in the normal drop pod way and as a ship assault boat, it also has the ability to take off again,
forgeworld actually have a model for it
http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Warhamm..._ACCESSORIES/CHAOS-DREADCLAW-ASSAULT-POD.html

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
It's like loyalist Astartes (for the most part, anyway) seemingly don't have chainswords to go with their Bolters and Bolt pistols; of course, in 'reality' they do have these things when they go into battle but the rules make it seem as if they don't for the sake of making armies play differently. If every SM army had everything in common, then there would be no point in making Chapter-specific codicies, rather just print an all-inclusive Codex with some extra special rules to allow us to make a Chapter.
This means that Chaos has access to Landspeeders, Redeemers, Baal Predators- the whole works. Newer Chapters that go renegade will take this equipment with them, and wreckage can be recovered from the battlefield/stolen from Munitorum supply-worlds.
If you ask from a fluff perspective, then a bit of imagination is key. If from a gameplay perspective, then like I said, it's to give things a point of difference.

GFP

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
its nothing to do with armies playing different for the reason why chaos dont have drop pods in the current codex, its just they were never included and the fact is there is rules for them in one of the imperial Armour books (cant remember which one) i wouldnt be surprised to dreadclaws in the next csm codex,
dont forget as well, drop pods for space marines is a recent addition to their codex,

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
didnt know that but my point still stands that chaos have pods in rules(ableit imperial armour) and in fluff, i can also imagine that chaos marines have also salvaged loyalist drop pods, so u can expect that chaos marines would have a mix of normal drop pods and dread claws in fact they may have the variants aswell namely the deathstorm pods if i recall correctly in storm of iron, the iron warriors launch a couple of those into the space port or something like them

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
It IS all about armies playing differently. The last SM 'dex had drop pods, the last CSM 'dex didn't. Why? So that the two armies would have different ways of playing. Imperial Armour is about expanding the horizons of the 40k-verse which is why they didn't bother with the CSM's normal drop pods, but, rather, went with the Dreadclaw.
There will be some omissions from the CSM 'dex due to the model/rule/concept being thought-up between books, but major and continuing omissions, such as 'speeders and drop pods, are all about making the different lists different. There is no conspiracy, no ulterior motive, no hate; it's about playstyle and feel.

GFP

On a related note, and without wanting to take on the mantle of grammar-nazi, your posts would be easier to read with some punctuation. Look at it as having respect for your readers; if you can't take the time to organise your posts into proper sentences and make it plain what you mean, why should a reader take the time to figure it out?

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
sorry but my grammar isn't related what so ever to this post. if you have a problem with it, you should have PM'd me not posted it in this thread.

the point Im trying to get across is that chaos marines should have them in their next codex, as they already have rules for them, yes its only in the Imperial Armour books for now, but with GW's trend at the moment, taking forgeworld only rules and models and putting them into new codex's, i can see them doing it with the dreadclaw and other forgeworld stuff ie the blood slaughterer and blight drones.
and like iv said they are also in the fluff

P.S i dont think its anything to do with armies playing differently as i can imagine GW would change the rules around to allow the dreadclaw to play differently to the imperial counterpart. It also matches the chaos marines use of ancient weapons and equipment as the dreadclaw has been around since before the Horus Heresy

·
Angryman
4,304 Posts
From a fluff perspective i am not sure on the point of salvaging loyalist pods, as i am certain that the deployment and handling equipment on the chaos warships would be unable to handle the loyalist pods. Unless of course you have captured the equipment for loyalist pods or a loyalist vessel.

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This has been a really great read :D Thank you for all this info! :D

I just been thinking of Buying a drop pod for my Chaos Army collection, wondered if there was fluff to tie it in :)

(when i say for my army, i mean just for displaying purposes, which means alot to me. ;))

1 - 12 of 12 Posts