Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So...I know a little about almost every army but this one...they have awesome looks...and seem cool to play...plus not a lot of people play them so thats a turn on!

All I know is that the full army has to deep strike in...other than that I know nothing...are they CC or Ranged...and do they get special deep strike rules? cause that seems kinda unfair due to mishap rules...

Also what armies are they good against...my friends play CSM, Tau, and SM...

Any Help would be awesome!!

Thanks!

·
Registered
539 Posts
Daemons have to deep strike in. They have special rules for this, you have to evenly devide your force. On a 3+ your perfered group comes in. On a 1or a 2 your secondary comes in. After turn one the rest of your force deploys using standard reserves rules. Daemons follow all the same mishap rules as standard deep striking, so you have to be mindfull not to scatter into other units or dangerous terrain.

Daemons can be full on Shooting or CC and can also be built to have a mix. They are one of the better written codeces for 5th edition if u ask me. They have some amazing units and have some trashy ones.

A well built list can excell against anything, and of course a poorly written one can fail against anything. ITs just like every other army.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So you can deep strike half your army on turn 1? Or do they just come onto the table normally then the second half Deep strikes?

If the First half can Deep Strike...that seems pretty amazing to me...I was thinking about going Necrons but now that Ive been learning about Daemons...I think I have found my army!!

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
they both deepstrike ur selected half comes in all at once while you roll for the rest

·
Registered
324 Posts
well, daemons are not very good, but definitely better than necrons =P

the pros are that not many people seem to have played them so you can take them by surprise, and the fact that you can convert a lot of stuff and get a nice looking army.

the cons are that the codex is kinda crap with lots of useless units and some crippling rules, lack of effective demeching, a tendency to have very few viable builds, to the point where if you want a competitive army you rarely have more than 2 options in terms of general strategy.

However, if it's between daemons and necrons, daemons all the way. The way I see it, necrons are boring, unidimensional, and uncompetitive.

But it's up to you really =D

if it was me though, I'd choose a different army altogether. I started up with daemons and the thing was that they're such a different army from the 'standard' that there was a lot of skills I never learned until I got a different army (deployment, for example).

anyway, hope you can make a decision,

·
Registered
388 Posts
I wouldn't say daemons are bad, just very very different. While I do agree that I got a lot better at the game once I started playing Chaos Marines, after trying that more "standard" army I can now look back at my old Daemons and see what would work with them and what wouldn't.

I used to think it had a lot of crap units too, but looking back on it now I see I just didn't know how to use them properly. The only thing that REALLY annoys me is that if you play a team game, playing daemons can really screw over your ally(s) if they go first, since your enemy will have a turn of only shooting them.

Although I do think the Bloodthirster could use some help with survivability, or should be cheaper. And the Beasts of Nurgle just suck. And Furies should be a Troop choice. Beyond that, everything is more about how you use it than anything wrong with the codex.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Pro’s: Never boring. Deepstrike is a blessing. With the newly released plastic model it’s a lot cheaper to build a strong list. There are a few competitive builds so you’re not stuck with the default internet list. They can be somewhat over powered in low point games. You can switch over to fantasy.

Con’s: Deepstrike can be a curse. Anti tank is lacking but it’s not too bad. Learning curve.

My only real complaint is the existent to witch of some armies can tailor up anti daemons.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Daemons can be very dangerous army in the hands of skilled player.
I have seen daemons win tournaments and games against very
competitive lists. Their only downsides are lack of anti-tank, and
the randomness caused by deepstriking. But if u got the side u wanted
at start and not too much scattering u can win easily, and of
course you need good list. Dont take beasts, furies and heralds of nurgle.
else is good.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Daemons has been my 1st and only army thus far. All I can say is when the dice gods smile upon you, things are very good. If you run into some cold dice, kiss your game goodbye. The downfall of this army isnt the lack of anti-mech as most believe; its the randomness of everything you do. Yes, a good player can adapt to the situation, but you only can do so much. You're adapting while the opponent is carrying out his plan.

The other week I played a 1850 pt game against a fully meched IG army. Next to Tyranids with poison glands, I feel this is by far our hardest opponent. The dice gods were smiling on me that game and I beat him. Ive also been tabled by Marines when my dice have been cold. I don't sweat when playing Marines as I feel they are one of the easier army to beat as a Daemon player.

The truth is, it is a very frustrating army, but a lot of fun to play. If I had to do it again, I would have picked a Marine army to start. Learning to play Marines, you learn almost all the aspects of the game which IMO is very important if you want to be a competitive player. Once you learn them, moving to other armies will be so much easier. Knowing how your opponent operates is just as valuable as knowing your own army.

·
Registered
387 Posts
one of the major cons to them i can think of is deepstikeing in only half your army on turn one and leaving the other half in reserve, which means on your opponents turn he only has to deal with 50% of your army with 100% of his and can kill quit alot in one turn if he has the right weapons,

i play in a group that uses alot of vindicators/plasma cannons and rune priests with tempest wrath, so deepstriking units take dangerous terrain tests which when doing one or 2 units may not seem bad but when it's your whole army arriving like it expect quite a few 1's in your dice rolls and when landed only being able to spreed them out with a run move in the shooting phase means you will end up with some nice groups for blast marker ownage, i know all deamons have an invunerable save but mainly 5+ only is a pretty poor chance of survival so when your next lot of deamons come down your army is already pretty crippled by your opponents 1st turn

having said all this i don't own the codex, it is only my oppinion and i haven't played daemons for a long time, i would like to give them another try but in my mind i only see the fight going one way when up against people with a setup like what i have said above

if you know of anyways around what i have posted that i don't know about feel free to correct me(it may even inspire me to give daemons another try)

anyway hope this helps:victory:

·
Registered
387 Posts
Hey atatjacob1 thanks for your imput m8 but i am a bit confused, what you said has nothing to do with my post so i'm not sure why you put my name at the start of it :p , i have no doubt that soulgrinders are good but i think maybe you missed the point of my post

·
Registered
268 Posts
Oh sorry,.... The best way around the deepstriking issue is to deepstrike safe, i know that is nearly impossible but you can take precautions to make it so.

Personal Space. First of all deepstrike about 6-12 inches away from scenery and other units. This way there will be less colisions and so on.

Partner up. Stick your precious units close to fire absorbers like GUO or Soul Grinder but not to close (stick to the 'personal space' rule), this way your army will take minimal casualties and not where it hurts.

Can't touch me. This rule is about deepstriking out of your enemies max range at all costs. Your secondary choice should have some CC units in it and should be able to tie up your opponent while your primary charges over the battle field.

Hope this helps.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts