Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys,

I'm completely new to Chaos Daemons (but not 40k, I had a 1500pt Tau army about 5 years ago).

After much research, I have come up with 2 lists that I think would work.

List 1:

HQ:

Herald of Khorne
- Iron Hide

Total: 85 pts

Troops:

Plaguebearers x 8

Total: 120 pts

Pink Horrors x 8
- Bolt of Tzeentch
- Changeling

Total: 151 pts

Bloodletters x 9

Total: 144 points

Army Total = 500 pts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I hope I posted that correctly.

My second list contains a Herald of Tzeentch for HQ, a squad of 10 Plaguebearers, a squad of 10 Bloodletters, and a Daemon Prince with Mark of Tzeentch an Bolt of Tzeentch (all up is exactly 500 points).

Let me know what you think, any help will be greatly appreciated.

In both cases, the HQ and Plaguebearers will be the first wave, and then the other half will follow.

Cheers guys :)

·
Registered
388 Posts
I'm not sure I'd bother with Noxious Touch on the Plaguebearers. It's kinda nice, but they're mostly there to just not die. The points could probably be better spent elsewhere. Beyond that, I like it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea, I was thinking about it for a while.

My other thought is, is a squad of 6 horrors really worth the near 120 points?

I was thinking of removing Unholy Might from HoK and the Noxious Touch from the PB.

Would swapping out the 6 Horrors for a Daemon Prince with Mark + Bolt of Tzeentch be a better option?

That'd free up 6 points which I could use for an Instrument on the Bloodletters?

·
Registered
388 Posts
Instruments are really not a big deal in 40k, I have yet to see them make a difference.

Horrors are the one troop choice that's still good in small numbers. Each one has 3 shots at 18" with a ranged attack that's slightly better than a bolter. That's nothing to sneeze at.

That said, in a smaller game, a monstrous creature would be pretty beefy. If you're going that rout, I'd get rid of the herald of khorne too and take a Bloodthirster. More power for your points, imo.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea, I would like to stick away from expensive HQ options as I'd like to field more Troops than anything. I guess a DP with mark + bolt would be a back up against someone who fields a HS of some sort.

So you think 6 horrors would be just fine for a bit of range attacks?

I want to minimise wastage, as buying all these models will mean I have 2 spare PB's and 4 spare Horrors, seems a bit wasteful is all.

I guess I could paint up one of each spare model as a Herald.

Actually, how do you distinguish Herald's from normal troops? Just by using colours, maybe a detailed base?

·
Registered
388 Posts
Pretty much. Although I actually use Chaos Champions from Fantasy. Sure they look mostly human, but it's still easy enough to tell what they are. And the Chaos Sorcerer looks enough like a Horror with a robe and staff that it works pretty well.

If you're going for a DP instead of a monstrous HQ, I'd probably go with a Nurgle prince with Iron Hide and either Gaze or Breath. T6 with 3+ armor makes him quite a force to be reckoned with. Investing too much into making him shooty seems like such a waste of his high close combat stats too.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think I might bring in a Daemon Prince when my friends and myself move up to 750/1000 points.

I don't think they'll appreciate 20 troops, and a Daemon Prince capable of destroying tanks, in a 500 point match heh :).

Although your idea of a DP with MoN, Iron Hide and Breath seems like a good combination (albeit a bit expensive at 170 points for the whole model, which is equivalent to a nice squad of anything).

If I removed both Blessing and Unholy Might, and Noxious Touch from the Plaguebearers, would it be worth buying a single Fiend? Or should I up the troops? (If so I'd go with 2 more horrors, which would put me dead on 500 points).

Tell me your thoughts guys =).

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i just changed the list around, I removed NT, BotBG and UM.

I then added 2 Horrors to the squad.

Hopefully that works well .. Would like some input before purchasing models :).

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey again guys,

I bought my first box of Bloodletters today, but I've been looking at my list, and I think it is lacking a lot of the necessary anti-tank that I need.

The 2 players I'll probably be playing most play Witch Hunters (so far has a SoB squad, a Karskin squad, and an Inquisitor, not too sure on vehicles), and the other plays Tau/CSM (he is undecided on which to start, but more than likely Tau).

I don't want to tailor my list to suit these 2 armies, as that would take the fun out of the game. But at the same time, I don't wanna be slaughtered every match :D.

Any thoughts on how I could add some anti-tank into my 500pt list?

·
Registered
648 Posts
A Tzeentch Herald on a chariot with Bolt is a cheap, mobile and versatile HQ. He can use gaze to whittle away at infantry, or bolt to go after armor. With T4 5 wounds and a 4++ save, he can shrug off a lot of fire. All for only 95 points. Add Breath if you really want to mess up infantry.

Horrors are ok for Bolt, but BS3 is really unreliable and you end up wasting the Warpfire.

Fiends are the best unit in the Codex, bar none. They are speedy, cheap, and dangerous against anything short of AV13 and 14 vehicles.

I'd be wary of Khorne Heralds and Bloodletters. They are incredibly dangerous, but very slow and fragile. It's tough to basic infantry to make it into combat, especially if you are only relying on them to make it.

For 500 points, the only Troops I'd field are your cheapest and toughest. 1 unit of 5 PBs is plenty tough and great for securing objectives. Though I'm not a fan of them in larger games due to their fragility, Horrors are pretty handy at low point levels due to their huge number of shots. A few of them with bolt and the Changeling works nicely. Add in that chariot Tzerald for real tank busting, then fill up on Fiends.

Something like:
Tzerald w/ chariot, bolt
2x 3 Fiends
6 Plaguebearers
7 Horrors, Bolt, Changeling

That's 500 points. 2 speedy chargey stompy units, 1 gun ship, 1 shooty scorer and 1 cheapo objective camper. You could swap the Horrors for Bletters no problem, you'll just lose out on a bit of firepower.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Interesting idea .. I had my eye on Fiends, but this list isn't really meant to be massively competitive, although it would be nice to win heh.

I wish I had the money for fiends to be honest, but at over 30 a pop online (GW store), to have 6 in a 500 point army is a massive budget for me.

I'd like to keep with Bloodletters (already bought them heh), and I would like PB's .. Horrors were just an idea I had throwing around.

How about ..

Herald of Tzeentch, Chariot, BoT
8 Bloodletters
5 Plaguebearers
5 Horrors with Changeling
Daemon Prince with Mark of Nurgle (or Iron Hide, either one)

·
Registered
648 Posts
I don't have any of the metal Fiends, they are indeed way too pricey. You can use other models for much cheaper. Chaos Spawn, Cold Ones, or I just use Daemonette upper bodies attached to plastic Spiders.

Your list has good elements, but really suffers in terms of overall speed. Everything walks like infantry, barring your Tzerald, so a more mobile army can keep you at arm's length. That's why units like Fiends, Hounds, and the like are essential.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Say i removed the Daemon Prince, would a squad of 5 Hounds and a Karanak be suitable?

That in theory should still sit me nicely on 500 point.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
648 Posts
Doggies are good for catching and opening up armor, but they aren't quite as efficient as Fiends and suffer against tougher infantry due to no power weapons or rending. I think they'd be fine for now, but I only use 'em once I've maxed out on Fiends.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Man, Chaos Spawn look so much better than the Fiend models .. Do they come in blisters or only packs of 2?

May have to work in 4 Spawns *ahem* Fiends into my army now.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So, back to the drawing board (or in this case, old diary), and I came up with this:

Herald of Tzeentch with Chariot, Bolt, MoS and We Are Legion
5x Plaguebearers with Instrument
5x Horrors with Changeling
8x Bloodletters
3x Fiends

Total: 498 points.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My other idea (to take advantage of having 4 Fiend models), is to remove the Horrors completely, freeing up enough points to field another 2 Plaguebearers, 1 more Fiend, and 2 more Bloodletters.

So:

HQ: HoT w Chariot, Bolt, MoS + WAL
7 PB's with Instrument
10 BL's
4 Fiends

Total: 500pts

Would this be better?

·
Registered
320 Posts
out of both revised lists I would go with the second. units are a bit bigger so they survive a bit more. I'm not a big fan of Heralds myself but I do know the HoT on the chariot is pretty effective.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts