soul grinder - phlegm, tongue 185

1750pts

thoughts?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I am new to CD, but I must say I do like the looks of this list, but why have both tongue AND phlegm, I would ditch the tongue and keep the phlegm
That gives you 50 points for a few more PB's or maybe another fiend

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I am new to CD, but I must say I do like the looks of this list, but why have both tongue AND phlegm, I would ditch the tongue and keep the phlegm
That gives you 50 points for a few more PB's or maybe another fiend
one is primarily used as a high powered single shot for popping tanks or heavy army targets (S10 AP1) the other functions on a large blast template which would be better for placing over/wounding a unit or multiple models. it's all about having the diversity to adapt to what your opponent has left on the table as the game plays on.

that's also the max number of fiends you can field.

·
Registered
14 Posts
honestly, I would consider dropping a soulgrinder for a Daemon Prince. In the games I have recently played, my icons have been doing little to help with my army, perhaps it is because of the way that I play it, but being a Slaanesh and Tzneetch player I don't usually find a reason to clump my people together. I am a fan of the daul Phlegm and Tongue as it gives variety, the issue comes in when they destroy the Maw and render the Tongue, Phlegm, and Breathe useless. Running the Daemon Prince with either the Mark of Nurgle, Unholy Might, and Armor Skin or Mark of Tzneetch with Unholy Might, breathe, and Daemonic Gaze with a few other upgrades wouldn't be a bad idea for tank and close combat duality (not sure entirely on the point comparisson as I don't have my book right infront of me) . the Fiends seem a little excessive to me personally. I would almost drop a squad of the fiends, and add in a Daemonette troop choice. I think a lot of people undervalue the strength of the Daemonettes because of thier lack of PW, but thier fleet and rending makes up for it. It also gives your troop section a little more pizzazz than just being all about area defense. Finally I would consider flamers as an elite choice as well for their extreme versatility in killing and glancing.

·
Registered
592 Posts
...the Fiends seem a little excessive...
Do ho ho, I see what you did there :eek:k:

But seriously, the fiends have to stay. All of them. They are the superior elite slot for taking down the mech, which we sorely need.

I would also change the soul grinders to Daemon Princes - because all the enemy's anti-tank power will be focused into those three models. Consider that in todays world of Melta. Rather have Tzeentch princes with bolt & breath (breath is optional in my opinion.)

I would maybe consider dropping the GUO for another Tzeentch Herald with the same setup. Also one of the plaguebearer squads could probably be dropped for a third.

And I'm not generally fond of Icons, mainly because we play a random army. The Icons will generally do very little. In fact, facing a good opponent, they will know that you will bring something hard down on the Icons - and will position himself accordingly to blast you away as you land on the icons. It makes you predictable. You don't want to be predictable as a Daemon player.

·
Registered
966 Posts
I am 100% agreeing with the above on Icons. This list, in fact Daemons in general, really don't require Icons all that much. The only time I have one in my army is when I run Crushers and that is primarily for wound allocation. You can land almost anywhere on a board, icon's huddles your army together and therefore negates one of its biggest strengths; been able to pop up anywhere and surround your opponent.

The comments about princes -v- grinders is one down to flavour. Whilst yes Grinders are able to be taken out with single AT shots, Princes can be taken down my small arms fire. Even massed Lasguns, especially when ordered, can quickly kill a Prince. So that point is neither here nor there. As for Bolt Prince -v- Tongue Grinder if you do the math the odds are no different: Yes the Prince hits on a 2 compared to a 4 for the Grinder, but his shot is only S8 so needs to roll 2 points higher than the S10 tongue.

·
Registered
592 Posts
The comments about princes -v- grinders is one down to flavour. Whilst yes Grinders are able to be taken out with single AT shots, Princes can be taken down my small arms fire. Even massed Lasguns, especially when ordered, can quickly kill a Prince. So that point is neither here nor there. As for Bolt Prince -v- Tongue Grinder if you do the math the odds are no different: Yes the Prince hits on a 2 compared to a 4 for the Grinder, but his shot is only S8 so needs to roll 2 points higher than the S10 tongue.
If it's about odds and ends, the Soul Grinder would possibly be the hardest to take down, due to being more random(vehicle damage chart). But that's not the main point :)

the Soul Grinder just feels... off in a list with no other armored units. It sort of becomes the focal point of all the anti-tank fire, where everything else can, as you say, become handled by small-arms fire.

It's about target saturation, mostly. Making sure the opponent doesn't get clear target prioritization, etc etc.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Sorry but your argument that taking Princes over Grinders to mitigate your opponents AT shooting due to target saturation doesn't work. You are not in any way, shape or form making target prioritisation harder for your opponent. It just means that both his AT shooting AND his small arms fire will target the princes if required. Whereas with Grinders if the AT fails, remember AV13 and Daemonic is tougher than average to stop, the small arms fire can do nothing.

If you really wanted to follow your tactic and mitigate his AT shooting then you take a totally sans MC list with only Heralds and massed Cavalry in the army. The you really have made AT shooting next to worthless.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.