Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Guy tends to use an integral Grand Master and Lots of Plasma cannons (Devastator Squads).
I have a strong background of assault power and so tend to use Daemons and Khorne.

·
Premium Member
2,648 Posts
This might be a case where Tzeentchi forces might work well. Their 5++ save against the plasma for Raptors and their Marine-shredding TSons might just have the edge here. Though because of FNP, Nurgle might do very well. And, given a bit of cover, Khorne could really bite into an infantry heavy army. Daemons are a nice cheap way to get units into combat without taking casualties...

What is your usual list? And, can you take a stab at your opponent's usual list?

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
My Chaos army I normally use 1500pts
Kharn the Betrayer 165pts
Abaddon The Despoiler 275pts
8x Khorne Berserkers 275pts
Skull champion +power weapon +plasma pistol, 2x Plasma pistol, furious charge, Personal Icon, Fearless +Rhino (all included above)
10x Plague marines 290pts
Plague champion +power weapon, 2xplasma gun, Feel no pain, True grit,Personal Icon (all included above)
8x Khorne Berserkers 245pts
Skull champion +power weapon, Plasma pistol, furious charge, Rhino + Havoc Launcher
Chaos Predator 110pts
Twin linked autocannon, Side sponson Heavy bolters, Smoke launchers, Search light, Havoc Launcher
Greater Daemon 100pts
Chaos Spawn 40pts

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Chaplain +5x Grey Knight terminators + Brother captain + Grand master +Land Raider
2 Devastator squads 4x Lascannons 4x Plasma cannons
2x basic toop choice + seargeant with Master crafted power weapon.
(This is what he normally uses).

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
my list is designed to kick heavy infantry ass, meltas and plasmas all round. i have one on everything except vehicles and my dev squad and sorcerer, who has bolt of change, so that kind of counts. however my lord has a melta AND the blissgiver, so extra deadly goodness.

because he doesnt have all that many actual troops that would do all that much damage, i would go with melta's and plasmas to kick termie ass and generaly fry anything that gets close, which you have too to see him.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
He tends to use the Land raider to get his units really close to my army then let them assault my units and then he uses veil of tears to avoid suffering from gun fire. The only method I had was to use a powerful assault without Daemons.

·
Premium Member
6,544 Posts
It doesn't sound like he's got a lot in the way of anti-armour assets. That one devastator squad with four lascannons is only able to pick on a single target at any given point. Plasma isn't that reliable against AV12 (you need 5's to glance with plasma on AV12)-- I'd consider lower-point, assault-oriented armoured units... defilers come to mind. I'd pick up a couple of 'em, arm them solely with close combat weapons, and let them go chew on the devastator squads.

Alternatively, you could just try to spam him with Marines. He's hardly got any models on the table, and the only ones that are worth anything in close combat beyond what a Space Marine normally is are the Grey Knights. I'd take Abaddon out either way, and probably Kharn too, and just use a regular lord. Special Characters are generally not worth their points-- save 'em for Apocalypse. That'll free up some space for more Troops. Two ten-man units of Chaos Space Marines ought to fit the bill. Maybe give them a pair of meltaguns or something in each squad.

While I don't have any quick fixes for the plasma-cannon armed devastator squad, I can suggest shelling them with a defiler, using Rhinos to screen a vindicator until it advances within range of the squad, or deep-striking some Terminators on top of them. If a couple of the Terminators survive the barrage, they should be able to take the the devastators in close combat. It's not like Astartes heavy weapons squads are typically armed for close combat, after all-- even with a Veteran Sergeant leading them as is mandatory in the Angel codecies, they're effectively a naked tactical squad in melee.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Chaos Lord Khorne + Bloodfeeder140pts
Dreadnought + additional close combat arm 100pts
Dreadnought + additional close combat arm 100pts
Rhino 35pts
Rhino 35pts
Vindicator 125pts
10 x Chaos marines + Meltagun + Aspiring champion + power weapon + Icon of Khorne 220pts
10 x Chaos marines + Meltagun + Aspiring champion + power weapon + Icon of Khorne 220pts
Chaos Defiler + 2x Close combat weapons 150pts
8x Berserkers + Skull champion + power weapon 198pts
5x Terminators + icon of Slaanesh + Champion 175pts
1498Pts Is this the right Idea

·
Premium Member
6,544 Posts
It's a bit of an extreme example. You might be better served with the dreadnoughts armed with a ranged weapon and a close combat weapon. Maybe a twin lascannon and a close combat weapon integrating a combi-bolter. A pair of defilers will be better than a pair of dreadnoughts, I think.

I'd also put fists on the champions instead of power weapons. Make sure you've got a fist in every squad... they're too good to pass up. They're what wins combat against other Space Marines.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Chaos Lord Khorne + Bloodfeeder140pts
Rhino 35pts
Rhino 35pts
Vindicator 125pts
10 x Chaos marines + Meltagun + Aspiring champion + Power Fist
+ Icon of Khorne 230pts
10 x Chaos marines + Meltagun + Aspiring champion + Power Fist
+ Icon of Khorne 230pts