Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
773 Posts
So far I have seen a lot of people moan about OMG a daemon army can turn a 50 model army into a 90 model army then 150 next turn and so on.

But the odds of doing so are low unless you are packing out loads of 11man horror units and loads of lv3 heralds, and is then only achievable you are then using all those psy dice you have got on summoning rather than dmging the enemy. What kinda negated all those points you spent on those horrors for all those dice for 1-2 turns. As they aren't gunna do well in close combat and cant shoot outside of psychic.

As for Thousand Sons. I was doing the math for all those sorcerers you will be getting. And it turns out.... Its a kinda a nerf.
Seems like you may be able to have an extra spell in your deck, and you can target something different to the rest of your squad... both of these being buffs. But your chance to cast is reduced to 50% without using extra dice, rather than 91.66% previous under doing a leadership check. In smaller armies this isn't much of a prob, as your D6 additional dice will give you a spare for a few of your sorc. But larger games you end up with only about 50% of your powers actually working if they are Level 1 spells.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Spell familiars are just re-roll psychic tests, and now a psychic test is when you roll warp charge to try and harness them, so if you fail you can re-roll all the dice, or even if you perils, which I think makes them very much worth taking now especially for 15pts
However makes the Balestar of Mannon (Crimson Slaughter) rather pointless as all Chaos Sorc now have access to Divination from what I have been told. So now it is just 25pt version of a spell familiar what stops you (as in when powers are cast against you) getting the deny the witch bonus.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Xabre was the one to point it to me, but doesn't seem to say where the chart is there, just that it is.

I'm really liking the fact that now my Thousand Sons have a little bit more bite by adding additional firepower with a second spell to each Aspiring Sorcerer.

On the other hand, Ahriman actually just got smacked around a bit, because if you think about it, as Mastery 4, he can't benefit from the bonus power, because there are only 4 powers. And as a marked sorcerer, he can't just go 'ooh, all Divination please!' because he needs at least 1 Tz power. That annoys me slightly.

I have to decide how to best take advantage of this. I'm torn between an army with Ahriman leading, and using a bunch of Aspirings (my current primary list), or building something with Be'lakor, a Crimson Slaughter primary and a Black Legion secondary. Doing that allows me to run 2 Sorcerers plus Be'L, and 3 aspirings in my Rubric squads.

While we're on the subject.... The whole point of the Balestar of Mannon was to give a Chaos Sorcerer divination.... But according to the chart, now they can learn it automatically. Thoughts?
However with a quick searchy I presume it comes with the cards.

Linky here
http://www.3plusplus.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/psy1.jpg

·
Registered
773 Posts
I'm sure the access to divination may be an oversight. Though IF that is the case then why do space marines who previously didn't have divination get it, but dark angels still cant get biomancy I don't know, unless the card is wrong.

·
Registered
773 Posts
FAQ seems to have fixed that, it kinda says they get the spell instant cast at the power required to do it. The enemy can still deny it but does so in the normal way (having to deny the amount of charge it costs) and they cant be effected by any effects vs psykers.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.