Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to convert over to the new chaos codex and this is my first attempt at a list, I usually played Iron warriors, but a few things have changed and I struggling to get a grip on the new chaos. I figure combing 2 strong assault forces, The 6x bikes with the daemon prince, and the chosen with the Lord and Raptors I can form 2 Strong Flanks to support the rest of the army which would take the center. I dont know though, I am Open to sugguestions

Daemon Prince -Mark of tzeetch, wings, gift of chaos, Warptime -205
Lord -Wings, Mark of Khorne, 2x Lightning Claws -150

10x Chosen - Aspring CHampion, 2x lightning Claws, 3x Melta Guns, PwrFst
Rhino -305

10x Chaos Marines- 2x Plasma Guns, Aspring Champion, Pwrfst - 220

3x Bike Squad- 2x Melta Guns -119
3x Bike Squad- Aspring Champion, PwrSwd -129
5x Raptors- 2x Melta Guns -120

8x Havoc Squad- 4x Autocannons -200
8x Havoc Squad- 2x Lascannons, 1x Plasma Gun -205
Vindicator- 125

·
Registered
202 Posts
First off for a IW player were are you're Oblits?

As for the list I would lose one of the havocs squads and add a dakka pred. As for the remaining havocs I would give them the MoN and at least one missle launcher or lascannon.

I think you should lose the chosen and just put the lord in with the raptors. As for the lord, while I love LC's have you looked at the daemon weapon? It's nasty . potential 17 PW attacks come on.

I also think that you should invest in one more squad of CSM.

I do like the DP with MoT, the MoS with lash would also help you (moving units around so you can charge with raptors or bikes).

Have fun.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Personally I would drop the rhino with one of the regular squads and infiltrate the Chosen. I would also split the havocs into 1 las/2 auto each. The second piece of advice allows you to remain effective if one of the 2 squads gets taken out.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Personally I would drop the rhino with one of the regular squads and infiltrate the Chosen. I would also split the havocs into 1 las/2 auto each. The second piece of advice allows you to remain effective if one of the 2 squads gets taken out.
Sure go ahead and drop the rhino so you're marines are stuck walking the battle field while the bulk of the army is at the other end getting chewed up because they are out numbered . Makes sense to me.

Again lose the chosen and look into termies (much more bang for you're buck).

·
Registered
5,539 Posts
Daemon Prince -Mark of tzeetch, wings, gift of chaos, Warptime -205
I'd change Gift of Chaos out and give him Wind of Chaos instead. Warptime will allow him to reroll failed wounds with the Wind of Chaos power (at least by RAW).

Lord -Wings, Mark of Khorne, 2x Lightning Claws -150
Nice. You may want to consider making this guy a Sorcerer with the MoS and Lash instead, but that's not really any big deal.

10x Chosen - Aspring CHampion, 2x lightning Claws, 3x Melta Guns, PwrFst
Rhino -305
Maybe think about dropping the Rhino and lightning claws, and replacing the melta guns with plasma guns. That way you can infiltrate close and start dealing serious damage straight away.

Nice. Perhaps switch the plasma guns to meltaguns using the models from your Chosen Squad?

3x Bike Squad- 2x Melta Guns -119
3x Bike Squad- Aspring Champion, PwrSwd -129
5x Raptors- 2x Melta Guns -120
These are all okay. Only thing I'd change is giving the Raptors more models and either an Icon of Khorne or Slaanesh.

8x Havoc Squad- 4x Autocannons -200
You'd do best with missile launchers instead, I think.

8x Havoc Squad- 2x Lascannons, 1x Plasma Gun -205
A Predator would serve you far better here.

Vindicator- 125
Maybe Obliterators instead? It'll help you deal with anti tank.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Sure go ahead and drop the rhino so you're marines are stuck walking
I said to drop the rhino from the chosen and place it with one of the regular squads. The chosen can infiltrate if they don't have the rhino. You misunderstood my meaning.

I also disagree with sypder13 about taking out the chosen and going with terminators. For the points you can tool up chosen with special weapons and infiltrate them. With terminators you are gambling on a reserve roll if you deep strike or walking them across the battlefield.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Ok I love infiltrate as much as the next person but I also believe that it has it's pros and cons.
Pros -
-you can disrupt enemy lines from turn one.
-you can take out a tank in turn one.

Cons -
-there isn't alwas enough cover for the unit to occupy, thus they could be easy pickings for your opponent.
-they are a long way from the rest of the army.
-they can easily be overrun in the early turns of the game by better units or by the sheer numbers of the enemy.

So in my book infiltrating one unit is not justified.

Next Terminators are worth there weight in gold in my eyes. Anyone that would take Chosen over Termies must know something about them that I don't. And how would you be gambling on a reserve roll? If you can't handle a 4+ roll then put them in a LR. I personally have never had a problem with Termies, just the opposite they tend to ru the table when they show up.

·
Registered
428 Posts
You are correct about the pros and cons, but it's also about style of play. I am willing to use an infiltrating group to soak up fire while the rest of the army gets in close while hopefully doing some damage in the process. You are also correct totally though in the fact that terrain will dictate where you deploy the group. On the other hand I usually fight gunline armies where my terminator squad will get chewed up before I can get an assault off with them. But points wise my termi squad costs roughly the same as my chosen squad and I get 4 more models in the group of chosen. Of course you can also compromise and throw a mark of Tzeench on the chosen and get a 5+ inv save just like the term squad for the cost of 1 terminator. Oh well I am rambling. Long story short: I believe both myself and spyder have very valid points.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Well put it does come down to style of play. Both options will work so yes it does come doen to preference.

Either way build the army, dominate and we'll help you with the little things.:eek:k:

·
Registered
5,539 Posts
Remember that Infiltrate doesn't have to be used to get as close to the enemy as possible. There are plenty of reasons to Infiltrate further away.

Here are some examples.

a) Grabbing a table quarter early in the game.

b) Setting up some sweet side armor shots on tanks.

c) Sniping off characters (this one is really hard but it can work. It involves placing your models so that the only model in range and LoS of your heavy weapon trooper is an enemy Independent Character or Veteran Sergeant or whatever. If you win first turn, you just need to hit, wound and bypass any saves to either bag yourself a lot of points or cripple a unit).

d) Drawing your opponent closer to the rest of your force. Personally I use this from time to time with my Blood Angel Scouts. I take a unit of 5 men with a missile launcher and start close to the enemy (but not too close). Some armies will rush forward to eat the Scouts up, but if you place them right the enemy will charge the Scouts only to be counter-charged in turn by a far nastier assault unit (usually a Veteran Assault Squad or Death Company in my case).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts