Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newbie here. This is my first ever army list and it might be a little low on the number of models. Mostly a Black Legion force. Yes, it uses a squad of Noise Marines and a squad of Thousand Sons. Sorry, being new I like the look of them and don't want to paint everything with black. Also sorry if this offends any veterans as I've only read the new Codex and not sure which legions do or don't mix with other legions. According to the new Codex, Abbadon is trying to unite the Traitor Legions, and I did try to use fluff to cover it though.

Fluff: Abaddon is putting together an elite force to recover artifacts and ancient technologies. This covers the sorcerer and 1ksons, and since the sorcerer is Slaanesh he recruited a unit of Noise Marines. All units will be painted in a Black Legion motif, the 1ksons and NM will be similar to the same units pictured at the bottom of page 74 in the new CSM Codex.

Anyway, here's the army. Feel free to let me know what's wrong with it.

HQ
Chaos Sorcerer - 145
-Mark of Slaanesh, Lash of Submission, Jump Pack

Troops
9 x Thousand Sons - 274
-Aspiring Sorcerer, Bolt of Change; Personal Icon

8 x Noise Marines - 275
- Champion, Power Fist; 6 x Sonic Blasters, Blastmaster, Personal Icon

Fast Attack
5 x Chaos Biker - 235
- Biker Champion, Power Fist; 2 x Meltagun, Icon of Chaos Glory

Heavy Support
Chaos Defiler - 150
- Close Combat Arm

Chaos Predator - 120
- Demonic Possession, Heavy Bolters

2 x Obliterator Cult - 150

2 x Obliterator Cult - 150

Total Points - 1499
Models - 29

·
Administrator
6,544 Posts
The army is way low on models-- I'd drop the obliterators altogether and bring more basic Chaos Space Marines. They're the best Troops choice in the game, without a doubt-- they come with everything they need to do well either at range or in close combat, and you can issue them with a special weapon and/or heavy weapon just to sort of buff either area. I'd also lose the jump pack on the sorcerer. You don't want independent characters by themselves, despite what you may occasionally hear. They get themselves shot before they do anything, without fail. Have him advance with the Noise Marines-- they're hardly a static unit, after all.

Also sorry if this offends any veterans as I've only read the new Codex and not sure which legions do or don't mix with other legions.

As a new player, you won't offend anyone--myself included-- so no worries. However, it's good to know the proper, accepted fluff.

The Legions don't mix. At all. They shoot each other as much as they do everyone else. One of the biggest snafus in the new Codex is that picture of a Thousand Son wearing a Black Legion tabard... Magnus would have a fit if that were going on. The Thousand Sons in particular are bitter towards Horus' Legion... it's kind of his fault that they ended up the way they did in the end, after all.

The daemon primarchs are content to let Abaddon lead the greater whole when the Traitor Legions do finally stop fighting each other for a time and decide to make a push through the Cadian Gate. They're more or less bound to their daemon worlds, and while they still have command of their Legions, there's not a whole lot they can do outside of the Eye of Terror that's particularly useful. Since Abaddon was Horus' First Captain, he's the obvious choice for the Traitor Primarchs to put up with-- if it were some random shmoe, the various old Legion Captains wouldn't listen to him. Abaddon isn't interested in uniting the Legions-- he's interested in pulling the plug on the Golden Throne and needs the assistance of the other eight Traitor Legions to do it. He could care less if they're actually loyal to him, as long as they're willing to serve in that effort. Everyone who's worked for GW lately that I've talked to has admitted that Codex: Chaos Space Marines was a huge failing, both as an army list (because you can do whatever you want with no recourse to the fact that the followers of different gods fight each other constantly) and as a development of the fluff. It's fine if you focus your attention on renegade Space Marines (i.e. those who turned following the Heresy, as individuals from their Chapters) and not the Traitor Legionnaires.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks for the advice. Following your advice and some I got from elsewhere, this is what I came up with. It brings total models up to 40.

HQ
Chaos Sorcerer - 125
- Mark of Slaanesh, Lash of Submission

Elite
5 x Chaos Terminators - 170
- 2 x Power Fist

Troops
9 x Thousand Sons - 269
- Aspiring Sorcerer, Bolt of Change

8 x Noise Marines - 230
- 6 x Sonic Blasters, Blastmaster

10 x Chaos Space Marines - 220