Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i know this might sound cheesy, and i didn't actually say anything, but heres the story.
fighting tau, his gun is strength 7, and he declares he will fire on my Leman Russ tank with front armour 14. he asks wat my armour is, and being the kind person I am i say 14, so he thinks about it for a minute and (yeah seriously took him a minute lol) he realizes he cant hurt me, so he changes his target to a squad of guardsmen and kills 2. whatever, right? i dont care much, but well it just got me thinking: if it was a realist battle, and u chose to shoot one thing, then u'd have to shoot it and THEN find out u cant hurt it. u wudnt just be like "wait! no its armour looks really thick now that i've looked at it closer. nvrmnd i'll shoot.... those guys! i'm just seein what you guys think, shudnt he have ben forced to shoot at it and fail, and then next time he can shoot sumthing else? that wud be more real anyway. what do you think?

·
Registered
468 Posts
If you wanted to be a dick about it, you could make him waste shots on the tank. Asking AV on vehicles isn't a big thing, or stats on anything you might want to shoot at.

Would you like your opponent to force you into following every decision you make? Every move, and target selection, every tiny little thing you do in a game?

If you want realism, you're playing the wrong game - and 'realistically', the Tau would know whether their guns would be effective against something like a Leman Russ.

·
Registered
592 Posts
However, playing by the rules, he would be forced to take the shots. Always ask before you shoot. :)

·
Super Moderator
5,719 Posts
Unless he'd already measured range or rolled I would let them go back on it.

Of course I would be headed to round 2 of Ard Boyz this year if I weren't so nice as well...lol

I had an opponent scatter a DSing Trigon Prime into the side armor (from rear armor where he intended) of my Defiler. He declared his shots, measured, then realised he was in my AV 12 side. He promptly declared he would fire on my DP instead. This was about the 3rd thing he had been dodgy with but I reluctantly let him do it. No wounds were suffered anyway (YA Karma!).

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Yeah, it is really just about niceties here. But to be clear with the rules rules its always better to be in the habit of asking questions about a target before you decide to shoot it.

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
I'm usually pretty nice about it, if someone's made a serious mistake like that, but then I usually only play friendlies. If it was a competition, I'd say once they actually measure it, it's too late to change targets, but before that I'd let them change their minds, just to be nice, as sometimes people just say things while thinking about what to shoot at, without really thinking about it.

Once they put the measuring tape down though, they've got a possible advantage, knowing the exact distance, which could be helpful with choosing other targets, so by then it's too late. When it's just in the declaration, most of the people I've ever played with have at some point gone "I'll shoot at the rhino....or actually, make the Tac Squad" while thinking about targets, so trying to make them go through with their first choice wouldn't make for a fun game.

/Just my 2c

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
lol good points. yeah i think he did measure, and possibly was in the action of rolling when he realized, but it dusnt matter. it was just friendly game and though the squad he hit did run and die i still won. thanks for every1's input

1 - 7 of 7 Posts