Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While digging about to see what I could see I ran into a little post over on 40kforums:

So, the GW I go to to game on sundays has been ordered from up high to do two things.

1. Follow the Warriors Code from Warhammer World
2. Allow forgeworld.

This has caused two things, allowing forgeworld means forgeworld rules, which has a lot of people excited and a lot of people annoyed.

However I imagine the warriors code will be the biggest problem, as it severely limits conversions (gotta ask permisison first) and means all models MUST be painted, and MUST be based.

now my GW has decided that 'fuck that' and states as long as you show improvement in painting/modelling, you don't need a fully painted army, and may have conversions.

What's your take on this?
So what's Heresy's take? Good? Bad? Doesn't matter?

I for one am unchanged by this turn of events because I've never been to a GW store, but it's interesting to know about at least.

·
JUGGERNUT
2,558 Posts
Yeah, that is too bad. My army is unpainted, so if I'm unable to play it at my local GW store, I suppose I have no reason to ever return there again. Shame, I like the gamers. Plus, many of my units are converted/counts-as.

I really don't care what people think of me for not using a painted army. It's simply not a priority for me right now. I just wanna play the damn game! Oh well, the independent gaming store has 4 times as many tables and hundreds of terrain pieces to use, more parking, plenty of tabletop games for public use, and friendlier staff who allow their customers to play however they please. IF these rules are enforced, then it's not a difficult choice at all to decide between the two.

·
Premium Member
1,705 Posts
What is the 'Warriors Code'? My local store is WHW. My army is in no way painted, and half of it is raw plastic. I have no trouble playing there. Neither do the dozens of armies I see there every time I go through.

Also, no conversions? That's the biggest pile of steaming turds I've ever heard. The staff at WHW actively encourage conversions...

I think the 'orders from on high' may be an excuse for the manager wanting to be a dick...

·
Premium Member
6,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What is the 'Warriors Code'? My local store is WHW. My army is in no way painted, and half of it is raw plastic. I have no trouble playing there. Neither do the dozens of armies I see there every time I go through.

Also, no conversions? That's the biggest pile of steaming turds I've ever heard. The staff at WHW actively encourage conversions...

I think the 'orders from on high' may be an excuse for the manager wanting to be a dick...
Warrior's Code is a set of guidelines used by WHW for events.

Here it is: http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m3720191a_Warriors_Code_2014_V1.4.pdf

I think the conversion rule is in there mostly to ensure people don't model for advantage, and so they can screen those out.

·
Dazed and confused.
8,496 Posts
Warrior's Code is a set of guidelines used by WHW for events.

Here it is: http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m3720191a_Warriors_Code_2014_V1.4.pdf

I think the conversion rule is in there mostly to ensure people don't model for advantage, and so they can screen those out.
So it's only for tournaments held there, as opposed to just day to day play? And I'm going to assume the conversion thing is in relation to larger models as opposed to a simple hand or head swap for your SM captain?

·
Premium Member
6,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So it's only for tournaments held there, as opposed to just day to day play? And I'm going to assume the conversion thing is in relation to larger models as opposed to a simple hand or head swap for your SM captain?
Tournaments and special events. And the conversions aren't specified by type so all conversions require an okay to field.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Tournaments and special events. And the conversions aren't specified by type so all conversions require an okay to field.
my local independant shop has been like that for a while for events. I'm ok with it, it means you get an excuse to focus and churn out some paint jobs. Conversion rule they implemented after someone brought in a styrofoam block and said it was a necron something or other... every model, including some scratch built oblits were approved for use without issue. In our modeling group there are at least a dozen people with fully painted armies so I'm sure that helps the issue

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
My local store has invoked the stand and deliver ruleset,

the bad side of these rules
1 the store is run by a masked gunman,
2 you get robbed when you walk through the doors
and
3 Waitrose is considering leaving the area meaning less posh milfs

however there are positives
1 there are free stables for while you shop/get mugged
and
2 waitrose is considering leaving the area

·
Administrator
6,544 Posts
GW stores are awful places anyway. Come play at your FLGS, where you'll only be actively encouraged to paint your models, as opposed to required to, and can play however you want. Also, no hard sales. Unless your FLGS is run by a dick.

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
The Warrior's Code thing is to stop you bringing an unpainted Warmachine army to a 40k event. As with every announcement of this type ever, it makes itself out to be more totalitarian than 1930s Germany while actually being incredibly lax and/or completely ignored.

If it's recognizably 40k, and has three colours (one of which can be the basecoat colour, so paint I dunno, eyes and gun cases), then it's allowed.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
The Warrior's Code thing is to stop you bringing an unpainted Warmachine army to a 40k event. As with every announcement of this type ever, it makes itself out to be more totalitarian than 1930s Germany while actually being incredibly lax and/or completely ignored.
maybe, but my warmachine dreadnought conversion is getting nervious just hearing about these rules. i had a post somewhere on him before the guy i barrowed the cell cam from left my house, he's basicly a dreadnought body with warmachine arms, legs and head with GW weapons.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
I don't know many Amish 40k players though.
They make their own models by whittling them from wood,
the rare few who don't get barred from stores for using wooden models are in their 70's by the time they have a usable army

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
They make their own models by whittling them from wood,
the rare few who don't get barred from stores for using wooden models are in their 70's by the time they have a usable army
why don't they bronze cast? we had that down as a science by the Renaissance. So they have to whittle one model, cast the rest in bronze, tin, lead, what ever and they can make a army in under a decade.

plus bronze casting a greater demon of khonre would look awesome.

·
Premium Member
6,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
why don't they bronze cast? we had that down as a science by the Renaissance. So they have to whittle one model, cast the rest in bronze, tin, lead, what ever and they can make a army in under a decade.

plus bronze casting a greater demon of khonre would look awesome.
Bronze isn't cheap, and it's really darn heavy. I can't blame them for not wanting to do that.

·
Warsmith
1,190 Posts
While digging about to see what I could see I ran into a little post over on 40kforums:

So what's Heresy's take? Good? Bad? Doesn't matter?

I for one am unchanged by this turn of events because I've never been to a GW store, but it's interesting to know about at least.
Last week I was talking to my GW store Manager about just this.

Warriors Code is not being put into place, they just need to make sure that no 3rd part stuff is used.

Forgeworld Models are allowed, and in the organised events (tornys/Leagus) you can include them in your lists. I doubt they will use the whole Warriors Code, from what I gather the managment have said "make the store somewhere people want to visit, and thus spend money.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts