Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone had an open challenge issued in a store for a 40k game only to have the challenger refuse your acceptence because your army is to good and they dont have enough tanks to face you.

---- i even offered to allow him to take an extra 800 points of daemon hunters(mine) to 'even' out the game, the kid actualy stormed out of the store to find his dad to come tellme off.----

·
Ex Mod.
4,245 Posts
i kind of have....once i was playing some kid in the southend store, sm v nids. i had taken a flyrant in my nid list. it wasnt a WYSIWYG model, but the kid agreed it was ok to still use it, and we started the game.

so, 3 turns go past fine, and then the flyrant destroys his pred leaving him with a libby and a dev squad on the table. the kid has a shit fit and takes the flyrant off the table saying it wasnt WYSIWYG, and that it couldnt have been able to destroy the pred because it didnt have wings even though he had agreed to it.

<.<
>.>

and then he packed his stuff away .

·
Premium Member
2,648 Posts
Well, first of all, you probably should only be challenging those players you think may be better than yourself. Have you guys set up a challenge board? That may be one of the easier ways to determine just who might have the best grasp on the game in your area.

I've had a few players challenge me, and I've always accepted, and let them choose the army of mine they'd be facing off against. I've had some really good games that way, and have had to deal with a few pricks as well.

Hopefully, your gaming experience will be more pleasant in the future.

·
Premium Member
2,648 Posts
LOL... not true there, Deceiver. My son has been playing since he was 11, and is now 13. The local club has no trouble playing him and actually expects him to enter the 40K tourneys. Correlohn (my son's handle) has won more tourney games than lost, but has only placed in 1 tourney thus far. The guys are actually disappointed when he doesn't enter into the WHFB tourneys. He's just too new to the Fantasy side of things.

Some kids know when to jump in and when not to. Some are good solid players and do very well in gaming circles. Some kids are not brats. Correlohn and his friend who happens to be only a month or two older than he is would really appreciate not being grouped into stereotypes by 'more mature' gamers.

Bashing 12 year old gamers is one of those things that gets me upset. I've actually banned myself from one site for the same nonsense. Elitist pigs. Infidels! I kill you!

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
wow that kid is pathetic.

i've never refused a challenge even when a 10 year old cahllenges me, it still a battle to me. The veterans around my local always refuse they only accept from other veterans.

·
Premium Member
2,648 Posts
I adjust my play level to that of my opponent in most games. But if my opportunistic foe is a pain in the arse, he WILL lose, and usually be quite embarrassed with himself by the end of the game. I usually try for draws against younger, less experienced players.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
LOL... not true there, Deceiver. My son has been playing since he was 11, and is now 13. The local club has no trouble playing him and actually expects him to enter the 40K tourneys. Correlohn (my son's handle) has won more tourney games than lost, but has only placed in 1 tourney thus far.
Yes, but your son is an unmitigated badass for his age. Most young people are somewhat immature. It's kind of par for the course. Not to say that even most are undesirable to play with, but rather, but rather that a higher % of people you don't want to play with come from this age group than others. I've found the same to hold true for online gaming guilds. At age 15 or less there tends to be a larger proportion of people that get on the guilds' nerves one way or the other. Similarly, there are also many really cool people in that age bracket, it's just that this bracket is more likely to throw a tantrum on vent.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I openly challenge many people at my local GW,(one person in paricular who is an ass and cheats like none other) and many of them refuse even when in a league game, which pisses me off. Now I am normally a fun player to play against as i am a good sportsman but this one F***ing kid always says I take the fun out of games which is not true at all.
He always cheats every time he plays and he is 16, and he knows the rules because he has been playing for 6 years. So in my honest opinion he is afraid to lose and be caught cheating, which is what i've been trying to do lately but he has always refused my challenge.

My angry "sort-of" rant is over, but any ideas on how I could play this SoB?

·
Premium Member
2,648 Posts
Nope... Instead, you should be doing your best to ignore him. Cheaters don't need to play. They need to go home and beat themselves with razorwire.

Look for good games with good people, not hard games 'against' ugly people.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Why would you wanna play the guy if you know he's going to cheat, get caught out and have a bitchfit?

·
Registered
538 Posts
this is basically the downside to the game (other than the $). Hard to find opp. who are fun to play against.are competent,mature and do their best to learn and play by the rules.
Don't waste your time vs some whiny,cheating opp. just pick up your stuff and go find a fun opp.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Not all 12 year olds are dick-head whiners I would never challenge someone and then sulk because I lose. Having said that I haven't really played much in my 6 month career. :):(:):(

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i was annoyed because i was the only free player in the store not activley in a game or painting (i usually help my friends by being a judge of sorts, ie... rules, advice when asked, sorting out line of site issues etc) when i am not playing. its annoying that when he makes an open challenge to the store and runs away when someone who can play accepts he runs away.

this player is nottorious in the gaming league at the local, he will often start a game only to quit after one turn because he doesnt like the composition of your army or because you take out one of his tanks(he spends on average $350-$400 a month)

·
Registered
10 Posts
can't say I've had that experience. sounds to me like it is mainly young kids who can't handle losing that do this though.

·
Registered
59 Posts
A real good friend of mine used to own a GW store where we live. And the the Bulk of his customers were young kids. So I actually played with them Frequently. I would always play less points then them and if they bent or forgot the rules I would always let it pass as long as everyone is having a good time. If they really are an inferior player We shuodl be showing them different tactics and helping them improve there games and armies. Plus you will learn to really play your units well if they are seriously outnumbered.
Just do all those things that give you good sportsman scores in tournies. Get excited when they have a good turn. Remember its all blood for the blood god no matter who spills it.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
most of the young kids from my old store were some of the most competative gamers ive ever met all the lists were taken straight from the net with little or no thought for the fluff and all looked the same and were pure mathhammer which while challenging to play gets boring really quick. luckily i found some other gamers to play against in a club where they realised that gamers imply a game and not all out competition

1 - 19 of 19 Posts