Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick question,

If a unit of 20 demonettes charges a lone dark reaper exarch and the demonettes are strung out over about 18" with the Alluress right at the back can a challenge be issued/taken or do the pile in rules stop that happening?

Thanks in advance :)

·
Premium Member
2,422 Posts
Sorry you've been waiting so long mate.

To my understanding, two ways to play it:
Method 1: challenges are awesome, who cares what the rules say. Glory to Chaos!

Method 2: After a challenge is declared, each character makes a pile in move. If they can't get base to base (after adding charge distance) then the challenge does not occur, but can be declared again next round of combat after a further standard pile in by each character at initiative.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry you've been waiting so long mate.

To my understanding, two ways to play it:
Method 1: challenges are awesome, who cares what the rules say. Glory to Chaos!

Method 2: After a challenge is declared, each character makes a pile in move. If they can't get base to base (after adding charge distance) then the challenge does not occur, but can be declared again next round of combat after a further standard pile in by each character at initiative.
Thank you :)

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Guys, guys. Page 102, Fighting a Challenge:

If possible, swap the challenger for a friendly model in base contact with the challengee. If this cannot be done, swap the challengee for a friendly model in base contact with the challenger. If neither of these moves would result in the two models being in base contact, 'swap' the challenger as close as possible to the challengee and assume the two to be in base contact for the purposes of the ensuing fight.
What's unclear about this?

·
Premium Member
2,422 Posts

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
Last edition, either the challenger or challengee (perhaps both?) had to be "engaged," at least, which is to say at least within 2" of a friendly model locked in base to base. This edition both issuing and accepting challenges is done by "a character in a unit locked in combat."

Then, like @ntaw points out, you just put them next to each other.

So, yes! The daisy-chain slingshot is a viable tactic! Especially if instead of an Alluress you have a Herald with the Greater Locus of Beguilement, so you can force them to accept the challenge (and choose who accepts it)! Hell, at that point, the "whole unit rerolls to hits" is just gravy, if you've managed to pull that trick off.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Guys, guys. Page 102, Fighting a Challenge:

What's unclear about this?
That's how we played it - but the guy I was playing was certain I was wrong so I thought I'd check to see if there was something I'd missed in the rules :)

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nah mate, you got it just fine.
Cheers, now I know for next time - when I'll probably use csm and this becomes more important due to having to challenge

Ultimately in this game, it made no difference I suppose

My Exarch caught crabs :whistle:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts