Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, just a quick one about Challenges. I feel like this has been talked about (and that I was even involved in the thread) but I can't for the life of me find it in the list of threads or via the search function. Anyway,

If my lone Character is involved in a Challenge and there is a unit attached to the enemy Character, can those models roll to attack my model? The rule for 'Outside Forces' states:

Whilst the challenge is ongoing, other models locked in the combat can only allocate
Wounds to the models involved in the challenge after all other enemy models that are
locked in that combat (if any) have been removed as casualties, even if the models
fighting in a challenge are the closest models.
This to me states that if there were outside forces on my side of the combat as well and there were excess Wounds from that melee that they would spill over into the Challenge. It in no way states that they are allowed to roll to hit a model locked in a Challenge. I've read over this a couple times and there's nothing that I can find that states 'outside forces may attack a lone character involved in a Challenge' or something along those lines, only that models involved in a challenge roll to-hit and to-wound against each other's WS/T and no Look Out Sir rolls can be made.

Essentially, is it right to say that Wounds can travel into and out of Challenges but only those involved in the Challenge can attack each other or is that little (if any) caveat in the wording something I'm not getting? 'Cuz that provides some major insulation against a mob charging a lone Character.

Thanks for reading! :drinks:

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
If my lone Character is involved in a Challenge and there is a unit attached to the enemy Character, can those models roll to attack my model?
Yes.

When a challenge is ongoing, you treat it just like a normal combat except that wounds caused by models in the challenge have to be allocated to their challenge opponent first, and wounds caused by models outside the challenge have to be allocated to other models outside the challenge first.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Interesting. Thanks for the reply @MidnightSun, that makes sense. Did I miss something out of the Assault Phase section or was it just a total misread in the Challenges section? I feel like some things from 6th kinda worm their way back into my brain sometimes, I'm sure it used to be the way I described (not that we can keep living in the past of course).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts