Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, as is on par with me, I don't stick to any one army for terribly long. So here I am, looking to challenge myself in making a list from the marine codex this time.

For those familiar with my challenge lists, you likely know whats coming; however for those of you who do not know: this is a list based on a series of restrictions I am challenging myself (and anyone else for that matter) to work with to see what I can come up with, how I can cope with some things or lack of things, and how well I can use the list given my decade playing the various armies of this game.

So without further pause, the challenge itself: with the following restrictions create a legal 1000 point list.
-Must make use of only the units in the space marine battleforce plus one additional set worth any value less than the battleforce.

One thing to specify:
-If it can be converted to be something else, its a go (if five tactical marines can be converted to be sternguard, than there you go, five sternguard.)

Right so if your still reading, thank you because here is the list; and maybe some rep if you respond. Maybe that'll get one of my list threads some responses.:laugh:

HQ:
Captain
Relic blade

Troops:
Scout squad
5x Scouts
4x Sniper rifles; heavy weapon; 5x camo-cloaks

Tactical squad
5x Additional marines; meltagun; missile launcher; powerfist; combi-flamer
Rhino

Elites:
Legion of the Damned
3x Additional marines
Meltagun; multimelta; power weapon

Fast Attack:
Vanguard veterans
5x Veterans
5x Jump packs; pair of lightning claws (sergeant); powerfist

Total: 1000

For this I chose a squad of Legion of the Damned as my additional set; they look like they can be an interesting choice.

C&C greatly appreciated, because I love nothing more than to see what most others have to say, and what they can come up with themselves. So looking forward to comments, if you want to take up the above challenge and come up with something than feel free to toss it up; otherwise what do you all think and thanks for getting this far for those who did.

·
Registered
220 Posts
captaino, relic blade, combimelta, hellfire rounds, art. armor

tacticalx10, combiflamer, flamer, ml, pf
rhino w/ ea

scoutx5, telion, 3xsniper, ml, 4xcamo cloaks

Ven. Dread, tllc, ml

Vanguardx5, jumppacks, pf, pp, mbx4

this is my mind.

ps.. i like yours too.

·
Premium Member
6,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Interesting setup, though if your going hellfire on the dred why bother with being venerable? Also, powerfist and flamer feels wrong in my opinion, meltaguns compliment powerfists best in my experience.

Other than that, anyone else have anything they can come up with or any thoughts?

·
Registered
163 Posts
I don't know how this would really play, but it sounds like a fun list to me. Here goes...

HQ:Captain w/Relic Blade

Troops:Tac Squad
+5 Marines, Meltagun, ML, PF, Combi-Flamer

Scout Squad
Sniper x4, ML, Camo-Cloaks

Elites:Sternguard
Combi-Melta

Fast Attack:Assault Squad
PF

Heavy Support:Devastator Squad
+5 Marines, MLx2, LCx2

Fun challenge btw. Hope this helps a bit. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Question on the posts, wheres the captain going? He has no ride unless you combat squad which you might as well give them a razorback. Placing him with the scouts would be a waste. I would give him a jump pack so he can run with the boys.

·
Premium Member
6,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Question on the posts, wheres the captain going? He has no ride unless you combat squad which you might as well give them a razorback. Placing him with the scouts would be a waste. I would give him a jump pack so he can run with the boys.
A jump pack would be nice, but with whats given can you get him one and have a legal squad? Same goes for a razorback over a rhino; thats the point of the challenge. Good gamers and list makers can make rock solid lists without having to spam some of the more boring setups.

Its easy to give people idea's on something like a competitive list when you have no limits on what can be used. The intention of this is to create restrictions and limitations and, in part, to see just how good those same people actually are. (Plus many of the challenge lists I see or come up with are fairly interesting or fun to play. I have one 2k list running three squads of possessed, many people write them off but I've found them to be quite decent. The lack of frag grenades suck, but you can't have everything.)

For my list, the captain would go with the short range half of a combat squad mounted in the rhino. He's relatively cheap, the combat squad doesn't suck to much, and by turn two or three there are more up close threats in the form of the vanguard and legion of the damned squads potentially in your face.

Admittedly, with access to only one vehicle it will be the focus of any and all anti-tank weaponry present in the opposing army. Oh well, can't have everything your way all the time.

·
Registered
220 Posts
with the points at 1000 and the format as it is i went ven. dread because i want the sure shot and yes i agree one's tac squad outfit is a matter of their preference and experience.

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,046 Posts
Ok, I know little to nothing about C:SM, but I will give this a go.

HQ:
Librarian w/ Combi melta. Powers: Null Zone/Vortex of Doom.-115

Troops:
9 man tac squad w/ melta gun, and Sgt. with a PW. Rhino-209

10 man tac squad w/ melta gun, ML, and Sgt. with a PW. Rhino-225

HS:
5 man Dev squad w/ 4 ML-150

5 man Dev squad w/ 4 ML-150

Fast Attack:
Land speeder with MM-60

Land speeder with MM-60

Total:969

·
Premium Member
6,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
To my knowledge gen.ahab, that doesn't even come close to fitting in with the restrictions and overall challenge for this.

I mean even if you had the battleforce, you still need one or two boxes for the devs, one or two for the speeders, and a blister for the librarian. Thats way over the battleforce plus one set challenge.

Battousai1184, like the overall look of the list but I think you'd have one model to many, unless the devestator or sternguard set comes with more than ten bodies.

Hm..that being the case what do people say to the following? Yay or nay, battleforce plus an additional box set worth less than the battleforce as well as one blister?

·
Registered
163 Posts
My bad. Wasn't thinking when I posted. Forgot that the devi's only come with five. Well that might change my idea a little.

As far as the rules change, I am impartial. I like the restrictions you have currently, but wasn't paying attention to what I was making. Either way you go would be ok.

Good luck.

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,046 Posts
I totally missed that. My bad. I will throw one together when I get home.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts