Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw this this idea on another forum (and I duly took part in it there) so I thought I'd cart the idea over here where there are far more intelligent, reasonable people... I can berate constantly into agreeing with me. :threaten: :so_happy:
I can't really beat the original author's introduction so I'll let him speak for me:
eagleboy7250 said:
I figured it would be fun to see everybody's favorite legion in a not so bland post or vote. Instead I figured let's do it as a voting challenge. Everyone get's a chance to voice their opinion, talk a little smack, and hopefully have a good time.
Start with a list of the Legion's

Blood Angels (9)

Dark Angels (9)

Imperial Fists (9)

Iron Hands (9)

Raven Guard (9)

Salamanders (9)

Space Wolves (9)

Ultramarines (9)

White Scars (9)

Quote the above list in your post, but with the altered numbers for each Legion present in the post before yours, and give a +1 to one Legion and a -1 to another (you must do both!). Only 1 vote of plus and minus otherwise your votes will be discounted

When a Legion reaches 0, they are eliminated- when a Legion is eliminated the process starts again with the remaining Legions (so this could take a while to strip it back to the No.1 Legion).

Here's an example (and my own vote)

Blood Angels (9)

Dark Angels (9)

Imperial Fists (9)

Iron Hands (9)

Raven Guard (9)

Salamanders (9)

Space Wolves (8) -1

Ultramarines (10) +1

White Scars (9)

Ultramarines- they might not have saved the Emperor but they did save the Imperium, the fact that they're so obviously misunderstood by most people as being boring and useless despite their own favoourite Legion probably having done less for the Imperium (a very peculiar complaint is that it took so long for them to get to Terra when they don't make the same criticism about the Space Wolves/Dark Angels despite those Legions being much, much slower in transit considering the distance they travelled- that's just being ignorant and hypocritical)

Space Wolves- ignorant, barbaric savages that have no concept of diplomacy or honour beyond their own twisted, malleable version of the term.

Note: this didn't seem to fit the 40k Fluff section properly so at a loss I put it here

·
Registered
7,314 Posts
Blood Angels (10) + 1

Dark Angels (9)

Imperial Fists (9)

Iron Hands (9)

Raven Guard (9)

Salamanders (9)

Space Wolves (7) -1

Ultramarines (10)

White Scars (9)

I really liked the old Blood Angels fluff from Angels of Death, Space Furries are just very poorly thought out fluff-wise and suffer really badly from the MOAR-Awesome complex that Space Marines suffer from.

Aramoro

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
Blood Angels (11) + 1

Dark Angels (9)

Imperial Fists (9)

Iron Hands (9)

Raven Guard (9)

Salamanders (9)

Space Wolves (7)

Ultramarines (9) -1

White Scars (9)

Blood Angels - the Chapter that first drew me into 40k with their great fluff and torture honour because of the sacrifice of their Primarch to save the universe.

Ultramarines - A bunch of overhyped pretty boys that are actually pretty usless when you read their fluff properly and are only ina possition of power as they got lucky enough to have a dumb Primarch and didn't do any fighting during the Heresy as they were miles from it.

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ultramarines - A bunch of overhyped pretty boys that are actually pretty usless when you read their fluff properly and are only ina possition of power as they got lucky enough to have a dumb Primarch and didn't do any fighting during the Heresy as they were miles from it.
With this sort of argument I wonder why people don't dislike the Dark Angels even more than the Ultramarines- they did even less than the UM during the Heresy they did relatively bugger all during the Scouring wilst the Ulramarines were out holding the Imperium together and since then they can hardly be said to be working in favour of the Imperium most of the time...

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
With this sort of argument I wonder why people don't dislike the Dark Angels even more than the Ultramarines- they did even less than the UM during the Heresy they did relatively bugger all during the Scouring wilst the Ulramarines were out holding the Imperium together and since then they can hardly be said to be working in favour of the Imperium most of the time...
Actually, in official fluff, even though they were miles away at the time of the Heresy.. they were the first to arrive back, long before the Ultramarines.. Plus, the half of the legion that was their did alot to help rebuild the Imperium.... They weren't at full strength and had helped in the fighting.

Plus given half their legion were courupted by Luthor and the returning Angels had to destroy their own planet to defeat the fallen... its hard for them to be expected to do much when they no longer had a proper recruiting world and devoted a large portion of their time to tracking down their fallen brothers.

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Actually, in official fluff, even though they were miles away at the time of the Heresy.. they were the first to arrive back, long before the Ultramarines.. Plus, the half of the legion that was their did alot to help rebuild the Imperium.... They weren't at full strength and had helped in the fighting.

Plus given half their legion were courupted by Luthor and the returning Angels had to destroy their own planet to defeat the fallen... its hard for them to be expected to do much when they no longer had a proper recruiting world and devoted a large portion of their time to tracking down their fallen brothers.
They only (with the Space Wolves) arrived at Terra a day or 2 before the Ultramarines despite the UM having to cross 2 3rds of the galaxy to get to Terra- and the DA did basically bugger all to rebuild the Imperium, the Space Wolves were in a far worse situation than them numbers wise but even they did more to help.
Plus the Dark Angels didn't even know any of the Fallen had survived Caliban till long after the Scouring...

·
Banned
2,023 Posts
Blood Angels (10) -1

Dark Angels (9)

Imperial Fists (10) +1

Iron Hands (9)

Raven Guard (9)

Salamanders (9)

Space Wolves (7)

Ultramarines (9)

White Scars (9)

Imperial Fists: For the defence of Terra in the times of such great heresy and then being able to split thier legion so many times and still kick ass

Blood Angels - How can 1 army obviously continue to embrace a flaw that leads them to the path of chaos and for that matter be super human and not overcome the black rage!

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
Blood Angels - How can 1 army obviously continue to embrace a flaw that leads them to the path of chaos and for that matter be super human and not overcome the black rage!
Yet.. they've been embracing that flaw since the Heresy when their Primarch sacrificed himself.... 10 thousand years and they've still not fallen to chaos, where as many lesser chapters have less flaws and they fall easily.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Blood Angels (10)

Dark Angels (9) + 1

Imperial Fists (10)

Iron Hands (9)

Raven Guard (8) -1

Salamanders (9)

Space Wolves (7)

Ultramarines (9)

White Scars (10)

Love the Dark Angels, especially their fluff.

Raven Guard get the -1 because they suck:eek:k:

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Blood Angels (10)

Dark Angels (9)

Imperial Fists (10)

Iron Hands (10) + 1

Raven Guard (8)

Salamanders (9)

Space Wolves (7)

Ultramarines (8)-1

White Scars (10)

+1 for Iron Hands because they have interesting fluff, all the awesome bionics
and there dread heads lol

-1 for Ultramarines, boring colour scheme and fluff, there just so generic,

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,044 Posts
Blood Angels (10)-1

Dark Angels (9)

Imperial Fists (10)

Iron Hands (10)

Raven Guard (8)

Salamanders (9)

Space Wolves (8)+1

Ultramarines (8)

White Scars (10)

Space wolves,
Brave and honorable warriors who will defend their allies to the very end and pursue their enemies into the depths of hell if need be.

Blood Angels,
I hate twilight..... Enough said about that.

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,044 Posts
9 on the blood angels. Forgot to sub it and pos iPhone won't edit the damn post.

·
Premium Member
1,592 Posts
Blood Angels (10)

Dark Angels (10)+1

Imperial Fists (10)

Iron Hands (10)

Raven Guard (8)

Salamanders (9)

Space Wolves (8)

Ultramarines (7)-1

White Scars (10)

It was a tough one for me choosing DA over Salamanders, Salamanders are my favourite legion, but I fell in love with the DA first back in second edition when all the Salamanders had was a footnote in the Ultramarine's codex about the legions and their successors. That, and I'm currently collecting a DA/AoA joint army.

·
CO 3rd Thoth ACR
486 Posts
Blood Angels (9) (fixed for Gen.Ahab)

Dark Angels (10)

Imperial Fists (10)

Iron Hands (10)

Raven Guard (8)

Salamanders (9)

Space Wolves (7) -1

Ultramarines (8) +1

White Scars (10)

Don't get me wrong I love the Space Wolves (I have viking blood in my veins) but they're Codex is a tragic example of power creep. They do much more then standard marines for cheaper, sure there characters are hella expensive but no one is making you take them. They could have added flavor but they chose to add power.

There are Chapters I like allot more then UM (DA, RG, WS) but I can't let them go down without doing my part to counteract the nerd hate that clings to them. I really like their Greco/Roman style, Blue and Gold looks much better the Red and Gold, and all the love they get from GW is really just SM love, anything they have or get can be used by any other chapter. Lastly in the fluff they have done more to save the Imperium of Man then any other Chapter and if that Imperium ever falls their domain of Ultramar will be the last best hope for humanity. I think their only flaw is that they were made by people who loved bold chivalrous knights, King Arthur and benevolent leadership and have survived to a time when most of the games fans like sparkly vampires, angry wolves and emo angels.

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,044 Posts
Thanks for the assistance there capt. Lol But come one now.... Can't dock the space puppies for their codex being slightly above average.

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Thanks for the assistance there capt. Lol But come one now.... Can't dock the space puppies for their codex being slightly above average.
People are using the fact that Ultramarines are blue as their reason so let's not start complaining about a legitimate reason in comparison :p

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,044 Posts
Well..... They are a very bluey blue. Lol

·
Registered
575 Posts
Blood Angels (9) (fixed for Gen.Ahab)

Dark Angels (10)

Imperial Fists (10)

Iron Hands (11) +1

Raven Guard (8)

Salamanders (9)

Space Wolves (6) -1

Ultramarines (8)

White Scars (10)

I just don't like space wolves. Kind of a silly concept if you think about it. WOOOLLLVES IN SPAAAAAACE!!! might as well be space walrus

Someone said something about being dread heads and that's reason enough for me.

woog out!

·
Ancient Relic
2,430 Posts
Blood Angels (8)-1

Dark Angels (10)

Imperial Fists (10)

Iron Hands (11) +1

Raven Guard (8)

Salamanders (9)

Space Wolves (7) +1

Ultramarines (8)

White Scars (10)

the blood angels are, unfortunately, to depressing and just plain red for me, i mean they could have been the coolest legion ever if Sanguinius had joined Horus, but he chose to be a hero, got himself killed and caused his legion to turn into moping gits who see visions of him :wacko:

Space wolves: i started collecting them because of their fluff, and that is still why i love them so much. as for what woog said, they are based of viking mythology, and just simply named wolves because of the canis helix and their fierce nature. they are the most loyal of all the legions, never doubting the emperor or their extremely cool primarch. they also beat the piss out of the wimpy thousand sons, and that just puts them at the top of my list. the whole of prospero was ravaged by them at the emperor's command. i also like the fur that they wear and the fact that they basically told Guilliman and his smurfs to shove their codex astartes up their arses.

[/QUOTE]

1 - 20 of 129 Posts