Troops: 3 (2 - 6)
Fast: 2 (0 - 3)
Heavy: 1 (0 - 3)
Fort: 1 (0 - 1)

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Confusion abounds.

You have LOTS of lascannons, which are nice, but are you really expecting that much heavy armor that you need to deal with? I mean, everything's got a lascannon, but eventually that's just sniping single models, and tends to be a bit of overkill. I'd much rather see some variation on some of your weapons loadouts, which would also give you more points to play with. Maybe that's a Celestial Lion thing, in which case... *shrugs*

Where is Pedro going? Is he going to be moving forward with one of the five-man Razorback squads? Will he be manning the Lascannon? WHO will manning the Aegis? You don't have a squad that really looks like it's made for it, except maybe the strangest unit in the squad, with is the Sternguards with Lascannons. Why this choice? Why not Devastators? You're taking a squad that already has the Pedro tax, which gets a bonus to having those great bolters, and delegating them to a role where they need to stand still and preferably hide in the back sniping heavy targets.

Personally, I'd switch the Stormtalons to Skyhammer missiles, which are much better at dogfighting at range and have more shots. I'd drop the lascannons from the Sternguard and use the points from the Stormtalons to give them Combis also.

·
Mad as a sack of Squigs
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I tried to build the army with Celestial Lions fluff in mind, post Armageddon where they are focussed on rebuilding their forces (hence Pedro (a.k.a Ekene Dubaku) for scoring Sternguard) and I do really like Lascannons.

"Pedro" has no fixed abode which I like, he can join any of the tactics or the sternguard and for me this allows me some flexibility between games where I can position him to where I see fit. Most often if I have no great idea's Pedro will be manning the Aegis backed up by the Scoring Long Ranged Sternguard to camp on/near my home objective.

I see a lot of AV 13/14 in games lately hence all of the Lascannons (I mentioned that I like them yes?) plus the Fluff of the Lions was that they were tasked with the destruction of some Gargants so I figured the list would represent that well.

Stormtalons I really struggled with the configuration of, but in the end decided on Lascannon option because (I like Lascannons) and in my mind at least the Assault Cannons and the Skyhammer missiles are very close in terms of damage (plinking hull points) whereas the Lascannons can potentially one shot targets.

I already have 3x Combi Melta's on the Sternguard which I think should be enough to handle most threats as they're really there as a flanking force and only engage AV targets if I have no LOS with the Lascannons.

Scoring Sternguard over Devastators purely for the reasons that I have listed above, they're scoring and designed for the backfield the Lascannons should do well against AV targets and if they're engaged Sternguard should stand more chance in combat then Devastators.

Thanks for your feedback

·
Mad as a sack of Squigs
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@Xabre, have put a bit of thought into what you said regarding the lascannons and decided that I could probably drop a few in order to get a few more scoring bodies onto the field

HQ: Pedro Kantor - 185 pts

Elite: 5 Sternguard Veterans - 160 pts
Lascannon x2

Elite: 5 Sternguard Veterans - 205 pts
Combi-Meltagun x3
Razorback, Twin Linked Heavy Bolters

Elite: 5 Sternguard Veterans - 205 pts
Combi-Meltagun x3

Troops: 5 Tacticals - 150 pts
Plasma gun, Combi-Plasmagun