Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite
8,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it was revealed last week that Angelina "only real reason I'm famous is because I stole Brad Pitt" Jolie (Oh yeah I'm kinda hot in an obvious way and I like nicking kids from Africa) had her breasts removed to stave of cancer. Well done, I'm sure your immediate family are very happy that you will probably be around a bit longer. I'm sure the tabloids are fucking loving it more as it means you'll be around a lot longer so they can keep feeding off you. Why the fuck should I or anybody who doesn't read the trash mags care? Could you have not just kept it to yourself?

Now it's been revealed in the mainstream media that her Aunt has just died. And when I say revealed I mean that its has two storys my local paper in the last 2 days. Thats about as much as the building collapse in Bangladesh did. What the fuck? I don't care about AJ cutting her tits off so why should I care about her god dam aunt?

Do you think the media focusses too much on these "celebrities" and in turn do these "celebrities" bring it upon themselves?

Personally I think these trashy mags should be fucking burnt. My daughter ever brings them home they will be on the fire as soon as her back is turned.

·
Banned
7,889 Posts
while I guess on some occasions it is good to have the profile of a particular problem in the community high lighted by the publicity that a celb story brings I really find it hard to believe these sorts of things are totally altruistic.

Double mastectomies are fairly common these days so I guess there is a bit of support given to the many women who do it and I guess they feel a bit better about it when some high profile person does it and makes a great many more people aware of the procedure.

Does it make here the heroic figure they make her out to be? Not in my book.

·
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite
8,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Exactly my point Mags. AJ's not doing it out of the goodness of her heart, she's doing it as it keeps her in the tabloids which is pretty much what is keeping her career afloat and always has right from the begining. She's more a media personality than anything else these days tbh I group her in the same category as the Kardashians now.

She got a bit of flak for the whole double mastectomie thing as a few brave commenters said "Look this is actually irresponsible as a certain group of people (i.e. fucking idiots) are now going to think this is "the thing to do".". I'm not sure how true that is but lets face it in todays world of fuckwit retards being the norm its certainly a valid point and she of all people being the media whore she is should know better. Normally I don't have much sympathy for people who see a celebrity do something stupid and then imitate them, however I have even less sympathy for media whores and for now this shite to begin to show up in the more mainstream media... well I think my thoughts on it are pretty clear.

·
Banned
7,889 Posts
I hear ya.

There was an aussie back bencher who tweeted or facebooked or something words to the effect "who gives a shit?", I think he's been tarred and feathered now.

·
Critique for da CriticGod
3,351 Posts
While I don't particularly care for Angelina Jolie, as Mag's pointed out her story is likely to be of comfort to women suffering with breast cancer, and the knowledge that a celeb can have it done and maintain her status/appeal is reassuring.

On the flip-side, I wouldn't be terribly surprised to learn that there was a publicist working this for her (or on behalf of her agent), to very carefully build her 'brand' and expand her name recognition.

When dealing with Hollywood, all appearances should be questioned.

·
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite
8,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh how dare he! She's so brave and smart and beautiful and sexy and talented! You can't insult such a godess! You heartless bastard!

Fuck off.

That man should be made given his own column for telling it like it is.

·
Banned
7,889 Posts
Would we care quite as much if she didn't have (or at least used to have) a cracking rack ?

There was a story on Aussie TV last night of this young fellow who had been found to carry the gene that may cause cancer and he was more or less taking a vow to not have children on the off chance that he has a girl and she has to have a Double De-Cup in the future.

I mean really? No kids just on the off chance ?

·
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite
8,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Would we care quite as much if she didn't have (or at least used to have) a cracking rack ?

Meh, they were never something I really drooled over. They were ok, her massive lips and fugly face turned me off. Would anybody have noticed if she had had them cut off then replaced? Personally if I was her and was wanting to whore her personality out a bit more I would have kept quiet about it till the media went nuts saying she had a boob job and then come out with the almighty bitch slap of "No I did as a preventative measure to stop me getting cancer. Stop focussing on my tits". As it is it's kinda coming across as "every look at my tits" attention seeking.

There was a story on Aussie TV last night of this young fellow who had been found to carry the gene that may cause cancer and he was more or less taking a vow to not have children on the off chance that he has a girl and she has to have a Double De-Cup in the future.

I mean really? No kids just on the off chance ?

His choice but still a bit of a drastic one seeing as advances are being made all the time. News worthy? Hell no.

·
3,351 Posts
Oh how dare he! She's so brave and smart and beautiful and sexy and talented! You can't insult such a godess! You heartless bastard!

Fuck off.

That man should be made given his own column for telling it like it is.
Well, that's the danger. Any and every celebrity is essentially in the business of building their own name brand. Any celebrity that forgets it runs the risk of hurting their position. Though as they say, 'there's (almost) no such thing as bad publicity.'

·
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite
8,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Any and every celebrity is essentially in the business of building their own name brand.
I don't entirely agree with that statement, there are celebrities who simply let their work do the talking for them. Depp, McGregor etc But I suppose you could say their refusal to engage is their way of building their brand.

·
3,351 Posts
Jac,

Yeah, I don't necessarily mean that all people in the public eye are actively trying to "build their brand" and manipulate public perception.

Depp or McGregor, for example, they build their brand, in a marketing sense, by making good movies, staying in shape, and keeping a low(ish) profile otherwise. The public sees their films, finds them attractive, and interprets whatever publicity there is and that increases or decreases their sale-ability and box office draw.

I know I'm simplifying things quite a bit here.

·
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite
8,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Na that's a pretty good summarization of how they do it I think. They know they are good enough that they that let their work speak for them and know they don't have to resort to becoming media fodder.

·
Jeepers
1,354 Posts
Well not all Celebrities are media whores. Generally I don't give a damn about a thing they do. I'm from Stoke on Trent - where Robbie Williams was born - and a few years ago when English MPs were all being hung, drawn and quartered over the Expenses scandal. The local paper ran with the headline Robbie Williams' mum just had chemotherapy........ It's bollocks. Anyway back to my point.
Not all of them are whores with the media pandering to their need for headlines. But I was reading an interview with Ed Norton back when he was making the second Hulk film and he said he doesn't care about the publicity. That he takes the subway etched to work and places and that if and when the day comes that he can't do that anymore because he gets swamped by fans/paparazzi etc he will stop acting. Which I thought was a genuinely nice thing. Which goes to prove not all celebrities want the attention showered upon them.

But I think more than anything this just leads the debate of: If celebrities deserve this by nature of their careers and being celebrities.

·
Banned
7,889 Posts
If celebrities deserve this by nature of their careers and being celebrities.
I am pretty well convinced that most celebrities are treated pretty much the way they wish to be treated.

This thread has already highlighted some of the actors that simply get on with it without all the bollocks.

·
nice boy, daft though !
10,212 Posts
So it was revealed last week that Angelina "only real reason I'm famous is because I stole Brad Pitt" Jolie (Oh yeah I'm kinda hot in an obvious way and I like nicking kids from Africa) had her breasts removed to stave of cancer. Well done, I'm sure your immediate family are very happy that you will probably be around a bit longer. I'm sure the tabloids are fucking loving it more as it means you'll be around a lot longer so they can keep feeding off you. Why the fuck should I or anybody who doesn't read the trash mags care? Could you have not just kept it to yourself?

Now it's been revealed in the mainstream media that her Aunt has just died. And when I say revealed I mean that its has two storys my local paper in the last 2 days. Thats about as much as the building collapse in Bangladesh did. What the fuck? I don't care about AJ cutting her tits off so why should I care about her god dam aunt?

Do you think the media focusses too much on these "celebrities" and in turn do these "celebrities" bring it upon themselves?

Personally I think these trashy mags should be fucking burnt. My daughter ever brings them home they will be on the fire as soon as her back is turned.

Well in all honesty Angelina decided to make the surgery public knowledge to highlight that she had a very high chance of getting and dying from breast cancer as she is genetically likely to develop it, given her fame and popularity she allowed/requested her story to be told and retold around the world so that other women might look at her situation and compare it to there own and maybe consider doing the same before its too late, should you care? maybe not about Angelina, but you do have a daughter and one of the celebs she might care about may do something similar to highlight an illness in the future so it might be an idea not to dismiss what they do as just attention seeking.

Dont get me wrong im not one of miss jolies fans, i dont think i have liked anything she has been in since Hackers,i dont think she is a particular a media whore like many celebs, but rather than keep this private she went pubic and the long and the short of that is she will save lives by doing what she did, is that anything but commendable ?

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
Celebrity? They still exist? I thought they were mythical beings that all died out years ago and were replaced with a species of talentless tone deaf clonebatched copycats with the IQ of cheese.

Seriously though... I couldn't give less of a crap about celebrity X has been seen dating celebrity y, or that celebrity Z is letting their pooch have botox or some other pointless banal shit that means nothing at all to anyone.

Its not news and its not interesting in the slightest.

However.. with this and the likes of AJ getting surgery? Well she didn't have to publicise it to the media, but as mention, it does help to inspire people who are going through the same situation to get it done and that they can still lead a perfectly good life afterwards....

We may not care because we may not like a particular celebrity or how they rub things in our face.. but the point is some people want to read about things like that as it helps them.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Yeah I didn't understand why it was such a big deal either. People are saying "ooooh but it'll ruin her career"

Bullshit. Both her and her husband have made more than enough money to invest into something and live off the royalties for the rest of their life. My family easily lives with making less in one year than they do in one movie, so they can just fuck right off.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
My daughter ever brings them home they will be on the fire as soon as her back is turned.
You will make an excellent father. Just don't burn her in the process mate :)

Ahem, to the issue at hand. It's simple gents; the main stream media has little or nothing else to do but follow these people. It they so much as shit a brick it's headline news. If people actually exercised there right as consumers and stopped buying this crap, if the elderly people who waste there time reading this stop buy them, and if kids stopped reading tabloids online in chat rooms and tablet forums; then maybe the issue would be solved.

·
nice boy, daft though !
10,212 Posts
You will make an excellent father. Just don't burn her in the process mate :)

Ahem, to the issue at hand. It's simple gents; the main stream media has little or nothing else to do but follow these people. It they so much as shit a brick it's headline news. If people actually exercised there right as consumers and stopped buying this crap, if the elderly people who waste there time reading this stop buy them, and if kids stopped reading tabloids online in chat rooms and tablet forums; then maybe the issue would be solved.
people are exercising there right not to buy it, but there are also many millions who exercise there right to buy it and enjoy doing so,which is why its big business, you dont have to buy it(i dont) but sadly we cant stop those who do.

plus if anyone can actually shit actual bricks thats something i would want to see in the newspapers and i dont care if they are celebs or not.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
People have enjoyed gossiping about each other for millennia. The introduction of the paper media characterized by people such as Dick Turpin, Billy the Kid et al was followed shortly by radio and television and finally the internet. All that these advances have accomplished is to allow us to gossip about people we haven't even met. People diverting their attention from their own lives by talking about someone more famous/rich/attractive than themselves.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts