Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I'm coming back after almost 20 years away from the game. I ordered a 1500 point full Catachan Army, yes an unopened old one with the cigar smoking LTs, and expect it any day now. I started getting back into the swing of things painting a HQ to try and find a paint scheme other than camo. I've decided on Black base with Blood Red highlights. I feel the Devils deserve something special but will still be keeping to the story line including Straken, Nork, and Harker in every Army I can afford. I'll be updating this as I go and would love feedback on the paint scheme and overall building of the regiment. I've only been on the forum for a couple days but I remember why I loved this game so much so long ago. Check out a practice paint scheme and let me know what you think.

http://postimg.org/image/5w86c136d/
http://postimg.org/image/wss5kclzp/

Only thing I have really worked on is the uniform, his face will not look like Jersey Shore when I dry brush it! :)

·
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite
8,082 Posts
As TSOH says nice start, really digging the deep red, are you going to go with a deep red on the base as well?

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
The Army Has Arrived!!!

Christmas came early today as I received my UNOPENED Catachan Army I found online for $190.

Everything but the 60 fighters and the sentials are metal!!!!! I love it! Good thing I'm on break for the next 6 weeks :)

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As TSOH says nice start, really digging the deep red, are you going to go with a deep red on the base as well?
Not sure about the bases right now, but the more I paint the better ideas I have so you never know. Probably go junglescape though.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh and I happened to pick up a Hellhound, which I believe would be the only true fluffy vehicles Catachan would use, and a Leman Russ, for those times when you just need one (and an excuse to start a DKOK or Steel Legion Regiment but one regiment at a time the wife said) :)

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
First Models Completed!

Well a lot of my time this week has been playing with a variety of research of camo schemes, really looking at my father's old pictures from Vietnam, searching online, and trying out different techniques on plastic infantry models. I "completed" both my first lieutenant and Leman Russ. The pictures kind of suc because of the lighting and camera (hopefully I'll get a better one for Christmas) but I really like the way they came out. It is a very subtle green highlight on a black base for the troops and a mosaic of hand painting on the Russ.

·
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite
8,082 Posts
Nice work on the tank, would love at home in a jungle. Have you considered adding some camo netting to it? The classic LT also looks good, One tip, adding a black wash to those boots will make them look a bit less shiny (unless that is what you were going for).

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Jacob-

I've been reading about making camo netting, we're having an ice storm right now (most of the day) so I didn't get out to the store. Thanks for the tip about the boots, I'm trying to get the shine off them, and they will definitely be straight black on most of the troops. I only put the gold on the LT because he is my favorite model EVER and he will be the platoon leader in my 1000 pt armies. With Straken in the HQ and Harker taking a Devils squad into the battle I wanted another unique model to be the leader of my mass troops.

Hopefully tomorrow I will go check out some materials for netting and appreciate the suggestion!

·
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite
8,082 Posts
Nothing wrong with a bit of golden bling on a mini, hell I've got 50+ minis in a dark gold/bronze! Looking forward to seeing how you fare with the cammo netting.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sentinels, Snipers and Camo Netting

Today I tried to put some work into a variety of things...I should of gotten a better camera first of all. Each of the Sentinels have heads from the Catachan Command Squad, specifically the Commander, One Eye, and the Vox trooper. I think they look great close up and the pictures do not sure ANY of the minis justice. I also made Camo Netting using a gauze pad and some watered down Deathworld Green. It's still pliable an once I figure out how I want to lay it on the Russ and Sentinels I will post some pictures. Here are the works in progress....

I just looked at the previews and they are awfully photographed...I'm going to Walmart and buying a new camera instead of using my phone! See you all soon :laugh:

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sentinels

I got my Sentinels based and am still waiting for the foliage to completely dry before I add highlights to the camo netting and moss. I used part of a deer antler to make a "log" I think it looks great without any touch ups. Still waiting on a better camera but this is a progress log not a showcase :grin:

·
Premium Member
2,422 Posts
Classic, great to see the old catachans getting some attention. Really looking forward to seeing more!

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
New LT

So instead of losing my favorite mini because he would require me to take a Boltgun for games requiring WYSIWYG I made a conversion, getting rid of his boltgun and giving him a large Catachan knife and Laspistol. I am thinking I can also use the Catachan knife as a Power Sword if needed, and without too much crap from an offical, maybe I'll add a power line just in case.

Before

After

I used a Dremel with a 543 Cutting Wheel and 100 High Speed Cutter. It is pretty clean after I sanded it down and shaped it with an Xacto Knife. I might actually buy some "Green Stuff" to fill in the gaps but everything is VERY flush as is.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The week before Christmas I found the December Painting Deathmatch and I was STOKED!!!! I love painting and modeling and know I need to improve my skills, what better way than to enter the Deathmatch. I decided on a converted WYSIWYG Old School LT, giving him a Devil's Claw and Laspistol, adding a female Grenade Launcher, Plasma Gun and Heavy Bolter Team.

I planned on working while we were at my in-laws for the week but my wife didn't pack my minis only my paints and brushes :cray:I came back, with a couple days left and got to work. Luckily I primed them before I left! I've made a ton of trips to the local GW supplier for paint, washes and even more models (an Ogryn Bone 'Ed and Chimera) because I am already addicted! I really need to get into putting together my troops from their sprues but that isn't as fun, especially since I've added the following since I finished up for the semester:

(All Metal Old School)
6 Mortar Teams (yes 6!)
2 SGTs
Missile Launcher Team
1997 Catachan Squad Box
Chimera
Bone 'Ed
Ordered: Straken, Nork, Harker, Marbo (but the idiot never put in the order before I left:crazy:)
Aegis Wall with Quad Gun

I think the Regiment is pretty complete other than a few Valkryies and another Chimera. I'm going to try and get the plastic troops assembled so I can have a few practice games before my first local tournament on Sunday (which will suck if I don't get in my special orders) I'm excited to get started playing and I just need to figure out what the best way to transport the Regiment will be. I don't want to spend a ton on a mini case but I might have to. Anyway hopefully I will have pictures up in the Deathmatch tomorrow as I based them tonight but stopped for the evening to watch the Eagles game. A few light touches, more hair pulling on the eyes and I'll be ready to go!

·
Premium Member
2,512 Posts
Looking awesome mate, love the old LT model, and you've done a nice job converting it.

one thing: Mold lines! They're the only thing I can see when I look at those sentinels... It's a shame to detract from a nice paintjob

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Looking awesome mate, love the old LT model, and you've done a nice job converting it.

one thing: Mold lines! They're the only thing I can see when I look at those sentinels... It's a shame to detract from a nice paintjob
Thanks for the heads up! Now that I entered my Squad for the Deathmatch I'm going to take a look at the Sentinels again and clean them up, maybe use some green stuff and really make a smooth, seamless transition from piece to piece. Thanks mate! +1 Rep

1 - 20 of 28 Posts