Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I recently purchased the DV chaos models from Boc and, before that, a box of chaos marines plus codex. Thus far I have painted five models, pretty good considering the hours I work and other things going on in my life (pregnant girlfriend, crazy cat, etc.). Today I purchased a camera and decided to start my project log, as I promised Boc that the models I purchased from him would be appearing in one in the future...well the future is now I guess. So, I present to you the Carrion Angels:

·
Registered
29 Posts
I very much agree with Ckcrawford very clean for a chaos army but I believe you've pulled this off beautifully, only downside you have a little bit of red paint on the edge of the base which isn't hard to tidy up. love your work and have some rep

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
Oh, nicely painted. Very lush and crisp. I look forward to seeing what else you can pull off.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Oh, I forgot to say, the only thing that isn't finished is the band on the bases, that's still primer. The helmets are actually blue, but if you're seeing black then that's even better because I was going for a look similar to crow feathers. I'm about half way through the other five members of this squad, so I may be posting pics of them later tonight. Your comments are all very appreciated.

@Ck: The base starts with mechrite on the armor, washed with carroburg, then evil sun scarlet mixed with red gore, straight evil sun scarlet, and then evil sun scarlet mixed with macharius solar orange. I'm actually thinking of switching the shoulders to blue, as I had an idea of free handing their warband badge, which wouldn't lend itself well to red.

·
Registered
650 Posts
I'm actually thinking of switching the shoulders to blue, as I had an idea of free handing their warband badge, which wouldn't lend itself well to red.
I would tend to agree with this, the model needs something else, to me they look like the Crimson Slaughter (albeit incredibly painted) with blue helmets, a Pair of blue pads or a blue backpack would make them better imo.

·
Registered
152 Posts
If you want to change somthing for warband colors you can but I think the models look amazing as is. Go with your gut though.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Small update, got the other five in a state that I can post a little progress, these pics didn't turn out as well. I'll get better ones when they're finished.

I purchased two pots of Lahmian Medium, and I just have to say, best damn investment I've ever made, the stuff is amazing with metal.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Finishing up arms and backpacks on the last five, one will be sans weapon as I'm waiting on Xmas to get another plasma to slap on him. After that is cultists, as I have conversions planned for the Hellbrute and characters (one of them chosen is gonna become a lord of nurgle :biggrin:), I would like some input now on what I should mark my sorcerer with, Slaanesh or Tzeentch.

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
Don't mark him. Leave him unmarked so he can get 3 good powers; the chaos power charts tend to be a bit meh, compared to the rulebook ones.

Alternatively: give him a SoC and a MoT for a 3++ save. If you do, I don't think Termi Armor is worth it; you're getting overlapping Inv saves that cancel each other out--wasted points.

If you're running him in a squad of Noise Marines, Slaanesh is good because he might be able to boost the S of their weapons.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I hadn't considered not marking the sorc, may look into that. I like the nurgle powers, but I don't feel that great about double nurgle characters in an undivided force, would just feel off. I'm also having trouble deciding on the chosen, I love the models, but I don't like how the models are equipped.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Big update time. The squad is finished, pads changed from red to blue. One marine is missing his weapon, which will be a plasma gun that I'm hoping will be in one of those Xmas boxes. The warband emblem isn't on yet as I've decided I will do these at a later date, possibly doing all models at the same time.

Some are a little blurry, but here they are, cultists next time.

·
Critique for da CriticGod
3,351 Posts
These guys are looking lovely.

You have a nice smooth richness to the colors that I particularly like.
Keep up the good work!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Another update, this time with Cultists. Didn't do as well on these as I'd have liked, I like the models but I just kept running into problems with them. They're table worthy, but that's about it.

No champion as of yet, I was letting some brown stuff dry on him at the time of priming, had to amputate that wonderful hand of his and use it elsewhere, he'll get the treatment later. Think I'll slap the Khorne mark on them.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Looking through this you have some really really good mini's The paint scheme does look better with the additional blue. Have you got an emblem sorted? I think the cultists are spot on. Nice mix of higeldy pigeldy colouring and scrappy look.
Im keeping an eye on this!

1 - 20 of 71 Posts