Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I posted a similar thread over on Dakka, but it kind of...devolved, and I wanted to get some fresh perspectives.

I'm fairly new to 40K, though I have a little experience playing with Vanilla Space Marines. I've discovered that I really like an aggressive, close assault army profile. I'm not a Win-At-All-Costs kind of guy; I'd say I'm 60% hobby-oriented, 40% gameplay-oriented.

I just can't pick between Blood Angels and Space Wolves. I like Space Wolf fluff marginally better, but BA fluff would allow me to do a DIY chapter and largely ignore most of what I don't like about them.

I like everything about the BA army list except for the HQ units. I don't do Counts-As special characters, and one of my self-imposed rules is that I've got to run a Captain/Chapter Master in a list. BA Captains are terrible. Everything else? Great. Jump packers are probably among my favorite models.

I like a lot of the SW army list, except for Thunderwolf Cavalry. I love their statline, don't get me wrong, but SMs riding wolves into battle strikes me as one of the stupidest things I've come across in 40K. Unfortunately, TWC are, in my opinion, the best assault troops in their codex. However, they have great troops and absolutely perfect vanilla HQ options for my illogical Herohammer side.

I've made this decision about twenty times over the past couple weeks, and always end up reversing it, and then reversing it again, and again...etc. Just can't pick.

·
Angryman
4,304 Posts
Sounds like the answer is as follows. D6. Sw on a 4+

My suggestion though. Use Space wolves and use converted chaos juggernoughts as thunderwolf cavalry. Plastic robot wolf models. Win Win.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I say SW too also you could run a 13th company, also their entire army revolves around cc so honestly TWC is not needed

BA are just twilight fanbois with nipples -_-

·
Registered
361 Posts
BA are just twilight fanbois with nipples -_-
Ignore this man. Space Puppies are nothing but furries.

EDIT: On a serious note, I am bias, but I would recommend BAs If you hate BA Captains so much try bending your HQ rule a little and Taking Captain Tycho. He's not that far off from Vanilla Captains (save his preferred enemy and sternguard ammo); or taking a Reclusiarch instead of a Captain. A great assault force multiplier, (but lacks the Arty armor and relic blade that I suspect you are actually hankering for).

Like I said, I have a bias.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ignore this man. Space Puppies are nothing but furries.

EDIT: On a serious note, I am bias, but I would recommend BAs If you hate BA Captains so much try bending your HQ rule a little and Taking Captain Tycho. He's not that far off from Vanilla Captains (save his preferred enemy and sternguard ammo); or taking a Reclusiarch instead of a Captain. A great assault force multiplier, (but lacks the Arty armor and relic blade that I suspect you are actually hankering for).

Like I said, I have a bias.
Arty armor and RB are exactly what I'm hankering for in my BA HQ, yeah. I really have no idea why they don't have access to them. If they did, this wouldn't even be a question, as sad as it is.

Of course, they still wouldn't be as good as a Wolf Lord, but at least it'd be a little closer. Wolf Lords and their Sagas...hard to pass up.

Reclusiarch might be included, but Captain's necessary. It's dumb, it's not effective - with BAs, at least - but necessary.

·
Registered
207 Posts
If I can be completely honest, I would do a CSM army. You could pick a super fluffy Mono-God list. There characters would also rape shit up. No arty armor or iron halo but +D6 attacks with added benefits and sweet DP models, its a win win

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
or u could do orks tyranids you dont have to do just marines i didnt start with an imperium army and have not got one since though i do have orks tyranids chaos and now tau also been in the hobby bout a year

·
Registered
594 Posts
I have to agree with Aurellius, go CSM. The new Daemon Prince model is so brain-bustingly awesome.

But assuming you don't see the true glory that is Chaos, go with Space Wolves. Due to your requirement of using a Captain as an HQ, Blood Angels will be underwhelming. You can do lots of cool stuff with the Wolf Lord, so i'd go with them.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
I just can't pick between Blood Angels and Space Wolves. I like Space Wolf fluff marginally better, but BA fluff would allow me to do a DIY chapter and largely ignore most of what I don't like about them.
Why can't you use the Space Wolf codex for a DIY chapter and ignore the bits you don't like (thunderwolf cavalry) in there?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Why can't you use the Space Wolf codex for a DIY chapter and ignore the bits you don't like (thunderwolf cavalry) in there?
This is what I'm doing, and is a lot of fun.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I also do that but run a very fluffy 13th Company,
no bloodclaws and lots and lots of mark of the wulfen

also to everyone saying to choose CSM, nids or orks. He asked specifically for help on BA or SW maybe he never wanted to play those armies to begin with? Of course I'm not saying that it was unnecessary as maybe you could change his mind...but just throw in your opinion of BA or SW as well maybe?

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
use them both and name the chapter the Space Angel Blood Wolves
I actually have a list posted in my GW of my "Blood Wolves" the Army Builder made a mistake and listed a Rune Priest as also being a Venerable Dreadnaught :victory::eek:k:

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
I also do that but run a very fluffy 13th Company,
no bloodclaws and lots and lots of mark of the wulfen

also to everyone saying to choose CSM, nids or orks. He asked specifically for help on BA or SW maybe he never wanted to play those armies to begin with? Of course I'm not saying that it was unnecessary as maybe you could change his mind...but just throw in your opinion of BA or SW as well maybe?

kk heres my opinion i dont like the imperium period but ill give some advice space wolves have the best monsterous creature killer in the world the jaws of the wild wolf if your fighting chaos chaos deamons or anything with alot of mcs get space wolves

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Largely because, much like the BT codex, a lot of the Space Wolf codex simply doesn't make sense in the context of a DIY chapter. It's all rather...wolf-oriented.

This. I have a lot of SM models, and exactly zero CSM, Nids, or Orks, and no interest in playing any of them even if I was willing to buy an entire army all over again.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
yea you sound more like a Khorne Bezerker player. i can just visualize another blood crazy Khorne Follower who yells "BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD" as you roll your to wound dice with your zerkers.
Boom take that moderators non constructive info for this post Question.
Jk moderators i like you guys. but anyways kid i would go World Eaters Chaos Space Marine, but if your heart is seat on worshiping the corpse god then go Space Wolves their models are badass looking.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Even if you feal you cant do a DIY chapter with wolves... and I cant see why, you can certainly ignor the thunderwolf cav and use the bits you like.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Chaos!!

Failing that, wolves would be my choice, they look better in my opinion. Both are competitive so I would choose the one that looks better/has better fluff to you.

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,046 Posts
Ok... He wants wolves or emo marines, that's it.

I would go wolves. Why? Because they arn't egg sucking emo vamp pussies.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Largely because, much like the BT codex, a lot of the Space Wolf codex simply doesn't make sense in the context of a DIY chapter. It's all rather...wolf-oriented.
Even if you feal you cant do a DIY chapter with wolves... and I cant see why, you can certainly ignor the thunderwolf cav and use the bits you like.
Hell knows I've no love for Space Wolves. I had to ration my daily allowance of the phrase 'the most retarded thing I've seen today' when I leafed through that codex.

Still, I fail to see why you can't use that 'dex with your own fluff.

Forget Thunderwolf Cavalry (to aid in forgetting, try drinking a bottle of scotch, or bleach) and then, much like GW just took regular Marines and gave them silly names, you keep the Marines and ditch the silly names. instead of 'Long Fangs' you call them 'Devestators', instead of 'Rune Priests' you call them 'Librarians' and instead of 'Blood Claws' you call them 'Assault Marines', instead of 'Grey Hunters', you call them 'Tactical Marines'.

You get to use the codex you want without all the... Well, wolf.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts