• Imperial Guard

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Space Marines

Votes: 0 0.0%
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
It depends on which army your playing, IG has cool vehicles and loads of crappy troops. SM has not so many vehicles and kick ass troops.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Ultimately I guess it goes down to whether you want to paint 100+ guardsmen or paint 40 space marines.

As said most people go for sm because they're easier to play/paint but guard can be incredibly rewarding

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
The Son of Horus said:
especially Chessex dice (which are rather poorly made, as research has shown, and come up on a 1 something like 28% of the time instead of the 16.667% that a theoretically perfectly balanced die will have for each facing)
Interesting that you bring that up. I bought a tin of factory "second" chessex dice at genon the other week, and haven't rolled ones on them in a game yet. Maybe factory reject chessex dice are better?

Good point about the stats though, and forcing massive dice rolls is my maxim as well. Not even the crons can stand up to...

*duh duh duh*

The Random Number Cubes of d00m!!!

·
Premium Member
2,648 Posts
Uh, no. The basic Guardsman is weak, but Guardsmen are very strong. The Troop selections for Guardsmen are also very strong.

With just the minimum 25 men per platoon (keeping in mind that this is just one slot on the FOC), the IG can pack (besides 25 wounds) 6 special weapons and 3 Heavy Weapons without even getting into wargear/weapons options for Junior Officers and Veterans. Funny thing is, this entire platoon will still cost less than most tooled up (Chaos) Marine squads.

Now, how do you suppose a unit of Marines is gonna get to the Guard lines in one piece when the Guard are aim and firing so much heavy/special weaponry their way all the while? You can't say that the rest of the Marine army will make it happen, as the rest of the IG army will prevent it. Even an equivalent value of Nurgle Marines can't compete.

All you have to concern yourself with is the moral of your troopers. Keeping a good reign on your men is the key to fielding IG successfully. But, thats a topic all its own, and with many varied opinions on how to best do so.

Check this out...
http://www.heresy-online.net/viewtopic.php?t=1475&highlight=

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hello,
Imperial Guard requires lots of minis and lots of work. I fielded them several years ago. At this point I would recommend Space Marines. If you can't decide on a chapter then you can always make up your own.

Go with guard if you want to work with lots of minis, go with sm if you want a good base army that is balanced and requires less models.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts