Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

So lately I have been thinking of starting a new army. For the past year i have been loving my eldar, but I really want to get a new army for some variety.

What I am looking for is basically a horde army, or an army with moderate to hordish amounts of units.

2nd i would prefer that most of the models not be metal. I dont know if this is an eldar thing but everything but my vehicles, guardians and DA's in my army are metal.

3rd, my price range is between 300 and 400 dollars. so an army in which i could spend somewhere around there for enough troops for a 1500 to 2000 point army.

4th, i know the horde armies are orks, IG, and nids. I used to play with a friend who used orks, but he cheated all the time and pretty much killed the idea of me ever using orks. IG is a shooty army and they are about as squishy as the eldar, maybe even squishier. Then the nids i have not done much reading about them at all.

Lastly, after playing eldar, which is primarily ranged, I am thinking of trying an army that is primarily melee.

Any advice on what I should go for my 2nd army would be great.

Thanks

·
Registered
488 Posts
IG is very much different from Eldar, but they seem similar at first. They are much more fodder, much less elite, suck at all forms of CC, but excel at throwing firepower downrange.
And I play them. That should be reason enough, I should think.

·
Powered by Squig Tea
7,589 Posts
Sounds like you have chosen Nids already really :)

Close Combat, Hoard (But with big beasties to trim numbers down if required.)

The Codex is one of the newest ones, which is always a nice thing. Most kits are plastic too

The only thing that they may not meet you requirements on is the cost thing, but they are no more expensive than any other hoard force.

Orks meet all of these things to and offer the best conversion option imo.
Just because someone cheated with em should not put you off.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Well, you pretty much wrote down all you needed to convince yourself of what army you would like.

Horde Type Army = Nids, Orks, Guard (Maybe new DE)
Melee Based = Nids, Orks, DE, Choas, Etc.

Thinking that DE are probably too similar to Eldar to really want to make a change, and then your friend Orks gave you a sour taste... Nids seem to be your whats left.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for all the advice. so right now im down too either orks, i decided to give them another shot, and the nids. which army, numbering i guess around 1850 points would be cheaper?

·
Registered
257 Posts
I would have to say you will get your best bang for the buck with Orks being you can probably find a lot of the pieces from the Battle for Black Reach or whatever one it is I can't remember. And like Boz said, you can use bits from other armies to really make your orks look like the have that looted feel. Giving a boy a star cannon instantly makes him a loota. I've also seen some pretty funny conversions in an attempt to stretch out left over bits into new units.

If you have lots of talent with green stuff, you can come up with some good Nid models, but over all, you'll probably have to spend that bit more then you would with Orks.

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
Assault On BLack Reach

Yes Black Reach Orks are rather cheap. I picked up the Warboss and 5 Nobz from it, off of Ebay the other day, for less than £4/$6.
Orks are probably the cheapest out of the two even without Ebay anyway.

SGMAlice

·
The Apathetic Sociopath
1,039 Posts
I'll have to agree with the other posters who recommended Orks. If it's a horde army you want and money IS AN object then Orks are the shiznit. I recently picked up 20 AOBR Boy and the Warboss for $5.00 total on eBay among other orky shit.

OBGOG

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was looking at just some lists to get an idea of how much an army would cost, and it seems like a Nid army would be anywhere from 400 to 500 dollars. Then with orks, if i do indeed go them, i would want a mostly troop based army. just with ALOT of boys, not just boys, but i think you guys would understand what i am trying to say. would that work welll?

·
The Apathetic Sociopath
1,039 Posts
Horde Orks are doable in a Kan Wall with the cover of a KFF. Start your boyz mobz with no less than 30 shoota boyz per mob, so they can weather the storm, behind a wall of Kans, with some anti armor support from Lootas and some fast elements or other element guarding your flanks and you're good to go. Lootas have an incredible 4 foot radius of fire. Stormboyz range from not competitive to highly competitive depending on who you talk to. Check out a pro Stormboyz opinion here. Here is an example of how hordy Orks can get. :eek:k:

Mega Horde 3000

HQ: 200

Big Mek: 'Eavy Armour; Cybork Body; Kustom Force Field

Big Mek: 'Eavy Armour; Cybork Body; Kustom Force Field

Elite: 300

Lootas x 10

Lootas x 10

Troops: 1500

Boyz x 30: Nob w/PK&BP; 3 Rokkits

Fast Attack: 565

Stormboyz x 20: Nob w/Heavy Armor, PK&BP

Stormboyz x 20: Nob w/PK&BP

Heavy Support: 435

Killer Kans x 3: Rokkits x 3

Killer Kans x 3: Rokkits x 3

Killer Kans x 3: Grotzookas x 3

Total Cost: 3000

That's 251 models total.

OBGOG

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
that army list looks insane. id love to try it. maybe build up to it one day. is there any way to get a nid army to have the same numbers as an ork army?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts