Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sure, the craftworlders are dying out. But from every description I have heard of Commorragh it is huge beyond imagination and growing. By some descriptions Dark Eldar number in the trillions and nearly all of them are deadly warriors. The Fall might have been a blow to the Eldar, but not a crippling one.

·
Premium Member
6,993 Posts
Well considering the fall tore out the heart of the Eldar empire, took away their worlds, forced the Eldar to flee to either the webway or craftworlds, and consigned the Eldar to have their souls trapped within stones or feed on the pain of others lest they be devoured by a chaos god. I'd say the Eldar are likely a fraction of what they once were.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Sure, the craftworlders are dying out. But from every description I have heard of Commorragh it is huge beyond imagination and growing. By some descriptions Dark Eldar number in the trillions and nearly all of them are deadly warriors. The Fall might have been a blow to the Eldar, but not a crippling one.

I must ask; Which sources state that commorragh is growing? And what does this growth depend on. Newborns or immigrants?

Craftworld eldar numbers are slowly dwiddling. And I believe Dark Eldar are vulnerable cause such huge proportion of their numbers live at one place. Atleast from what I have understood of Dark Eldars.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I must ask; Which sources state that commorragh is growing? And what does this growth depend on. Newborns or immigrants?

Craftworld eldar numbers are slowly dwiddling. And I believe Dark Eldar are vulnerable cause such huge proportion of their numbers live at one place. Atleast from what I have understood of Dark Eldars.
That one place is infinitely big. The DE grow their population with vatborn soldiers that are identical to trueborns (except for the nepotism given to them).

I am not saying that the Fall was not a blow. I am not saying the Fall didn't gut their empire. I am saying that everything I have read and seen suggests that the Dark Eldar will be around long after humanity is driven to extinction. So how can they be considered a dying race?

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
That one place is infinitely big. The DE grow their population with vatborn soldiers that are identical to trueborns (except for the nepotism given to them).

I am not saying that the Fall was not a blow. I am not saying the Fall didn't gut their empire. I am saying that everything I have read and seen suggests that the Dark Eldar will be around long after humanity is driven to extinction. So how can they be considered a dying race?
The dark eldar have to feed off pain of sentient species. The older they get more the often they have to feed. As their population grows they require more resources in order to survive, their typical food source is going to dwindle as their happens.
And given the nature of the DE they are going to kill each other for the resources.

Here's a graph to show what essentially is going to happen. Yes yes I know it uses wolves and deer, but it's the basic Idea.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I think its a figure of speech and leaves it open for the Eldar being a major force in the 40K universe. I would say it definitely seems like they aren't growing sufficient enough to other races. That graph is a good depiction of what it could be.
Eventually the DE are going to starve themselves out.

According to most fluff they harvest mostly humans, well the largest source of humanity is currently besieged by half a dozen threats. So if they want their largest food source intact they would have to go out and "defend" it. All the while losing members of their population.

Then there's their harvesting methods, chances are they aren't concerned with leaving a good selection of breeding stock. So eventually it's going to give out.

·
Super Moderator
10,978 Posts
And I believe Dark Eldar are vulnerable cause such huge proportion of their numbers live at one place.
You are incorrect. Commoragh is considered one city, but it is comprised of components vast distances from each other. The passages of the webway make traveling between easy, but losing one section does not mean they will lose it all. I believe invasions have taken place in the past, parts of the city have been lost or damaged but on the whole it remains strong.

I am saying that everything I have read and seen suggests that the Dark Eldar will be around long after humanity is driven to extinction. So how can they be considered a dying race?
Their only means of survival regularly requires risky and potentially fatal combat, there are a limited number of safe places for them to live, They compete with aliens and each other as well as risking their souls for everything they accomplish. Coupled with the low reproduction rate all eldar have and yes, they easily fit the description of a dying race.

They've been dying for ten thousand years, they could keep dying for another ten thousand before they are finally gone.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A few things that I picked up on.

Reaper45: you are assuming that the DEs prey population does not grow orders of magnitude faster than the DE population. Orks can outbreed everything else in the galaxy save the tyranids. It is virtually impossible to run out of orks. The reason that they harvest mostly humans is because it is convenient, humans are plentiful and relatively easy to acquire. You are also neglecting the fact that since they can grow Eldar in a vat they can probably do the same with humans if they wanted to. I imagine the difference would be much like the difference between wild salmon and farm raised salmon. The wild stuff is better, but it can be costly, but people can take farm salmon and seed it back into the wild. Who knows, maybe DEs prefer the taste of Tau.

Serpion5: Craftworlders and Exodites have a low birthrate but DEs do not. Thanks to their vats they can grow their population as rapidly as they want.

·
Craw-Daddy
4,472 Posts
A few things that I picked up on.

Reaper45: you are assuming that the DEs prey population does not grow orders of magnitude faster than the DE population. Orks can outbreed everything else in the galaxy save the tyranids. It is virtually impossible to run out of orks. The reason that they harvest mostly humans is because it is convenient, humans are plentiful and relatively easy to acquire. You are also neglecting the fact that since they can grow Eldar in a vat they can probably do the same with humans if they wanted to. I imagine the difference would be much like the difference between wild salmon and farm raised salmon. The wild stuff is better, but it can be costly, but people can take farm salmon and seed it back into the wild. Who knows, maybe DEs prefer the taste of Tau.

Serpion5: Craftworlders and Exodites have a low birthrate but DEs do not. Thanks to their vats they can grow their population as rapidly as they want.
I wonder if the new DE codex will shed more light on this. Codexes have gotten way too expensive to buy but I used to buy them for things just like this.

·
Super Moderator
10,978 Posts
Craftworlders and Exodites have a low birthrate but DEs do not. Thanks to their vats they can grow their population as rapidly as they want.
No, their vats allow eldar to be grown outside the womb rather than in, that's the only real difference. Others are simply clones of warriors killed. Their birth rate is presumably the same, but their death rate is slower than it would be.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Why do Dark Eldar not use spirit stones again?

They despise the outlook of becoming prisoners in the Infinity Circuite. They strife after immortality instead, living on the pain and suffering of others. And if that fail, I think I have heard that the Hemoculus can sometimes transfer the soul into a new, coline for his master.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I'd say they don't use waystones because the technology is inherently psychic and DE don't do that kind of stuff.

Eldar are definitely dying but the real question to me is why. Apparently craftworlders just dont like sex or dont want to give birth to children when their future is so uncertain...

·
Bane of Empires
5,131 Posts
No, their vats allow eldar to be grown outside the womb rather than in, that's the only real difference.
And that the embryo's growth is "hyperaccelerated".

Eldar are definitely dying but the real question to me is why. Apparently craftworlders just dont like sex or dont want to give birth to children when their future is so uncertain...
"The Eldar gestation cycle takes many laborious years to complete". Combine this fact with the rigorous lifestyle of the path system and the need to prevent peaks of emotion in order to fend off the encroachment of Slaanesh means that the Craftworld Eldar cannot repopulate their race at a level which exceeds their death rates. The Craftworlders live a tame and, in many ways, horrible life - and they are slowly slipping into extinction.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
I'd say they don't use waystones because the technology is inherently psychic and DE don't do that kind of stuff.

Don't like sex? Don't want to give birth? From where do you get this?

In the Eldar trilogy they both have and enjoy sex. And they dream of future children. Craftworlds do grow at a slow rate and damaged they do recover. But as their growth is so slow they are also vulnerable to cataclysmic events. In the greater tapestry of the galaxy they are on a downward route.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Don't like sex? Don't want to give birth? From where do you get this?

In the Eldar trilogy they both have and enjoy sex. And they dream of future children. Craftworlds do grow at a slow rate and damaged they do recover. But as their growth is so slow they are also vulnerable to cataclysmic events. In the greater tapestry of the galaxy they are on a downward route.
But if they focus too much on it they attract the attention of she who thirsts.

It's the entire reason for the eldar paths to exist before they did whatever they wanted whenever they wanted. The paths force them to focus on one thing preventing them from getting the excess part.

Combined with the efforts of the laughing god it's the only thing preventing them from suffering the same things the DE suffer from.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts