Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to have a stat be above 10? For instance, when an ork warboss with a power klaw charges, his base strength is doubled to 10 and then furious charge vies him 1 more, bringing it to 11. Theoretically.
Also, this is important for weirdboyz. With mob rule they can count the number of models in the unit that they're joined to as their Ld. For normal boyz this isn't a big deal, as once they hit 11 models they become fearless. However, it gives no cap on how high the leadership actually gets. So, in theory, a weirdboy in a mob of 30 other orks has a 31 leadership, automatically succeeding on all psychic tests, taking perils as usual except the power works on a 2 or a 12. He would laugh at psychic hoods and mind war would be unable to touch any boy in a big mob.

Thanks.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I think its possible to have the high stat but I think the cap is 10 so that there is a chance of failure. However I may have missed something, Im re reading the rules at the moment.

If your right though my WAAAGGG will rock even more hehe

·
Registered
995 Posts
LD caps at 12. All other stats cap at 10.

·
Registered
304 Posts
it wouldn't work, mob rule doesn't increase your leadership, it alows you to ignore a failed ld test depending on how many Boyz there are in a squad. The Weirdboy still uses his normal Ld value, as it says in the psychic powers directory in the rulebook

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
it wouldn't work, mob rule doesn't increase your leadership, it alows you to ignore a failed ld test depending on how many Boyz there are in a squad. The Weirdboy still uses his normal Ld value, as it says in the psychic powers directory in the rulebook
Quoted straight from the 4e ork codex: "Ork mobs may always choose to substitute the number of Orks in their mob for their normal leadership value. If an Ork mob numbers 11 or more models, it has the Fearless special rule".

So yeah, it does increase your leadership. Explicitly.

·
Registered
325 Posts
BGB - P12 - Characteristics - 2nd paragraph.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I see that, but does that only apply to base stats or to derived stats as well (like the warboss example)? Also, the mob rule specifically says that you can use the number of orks as the Ld instead and says nothing about a cap on this, and so may be a case of a specific rule overriding a general one.

Would a unit with tank hunters and a str 10 weapon be rolling 1d6+11?

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
guy above you could role snake eyes ... if you get doubler 6 you get 10 ect

you wont always get max atacks

·
Registered
49 Posts
if i remember rite there is no cap on number of attacks and it is true that all other stats except ld are maxed at 10.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
if i remember rite there is no cap on number of attacks and it is true that all other stats except ld are maxed at 10.
On page 12 of the core book it says that all characteristics are measured from 0 to 10 and then lists every kind of stat, including Ld and attacks. So either base stats go from 0 to 10 and can be modified above 10 or 10 is the hard cap for everything, so bloodfeeder weapons are largely more risk than reward.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
what about a ven dread with BT Suffer Not The Unclean To Live and Tankhunter, giving him a str 12 powerclaw when attacking vehicles. and even though it says they max out at 10, it doesnt say anything about modifiers. so theoritically using the right modifiers you can reach above 10. characters like abbadon or chaos lords with daemon weapons get more than 10 attacks.

·
Inquisitor
963 Posts
Well with modifiers they arent really the stat.. like tank hunter.. it says that it adds plus 1 to your roll when going against armor.. it doesnt say that it adds +1 to your Str. I dont know about the BT one though as I dont have a BT codex with me anywhere but thats the general idea. Bloodfeeders again dont modify your base stat they just add on to it. So the basic idea that stats cant be raised above 10 is true. I personally have never seen anything other than Attacks being able to go above 10 though. I've seen a lot of people talk about LD going above 10 with things like Imp Guard untill I ask how they worked it out and then I point out certain things that arent allowed to stack.

I know the new Orks say that they use their squad size untill they reach 11 or more at which point they count as fearless.. then you have the BGB which states that stats cap at 10 so for Weirdboyz their LD caps at 10 since you cant use the squad size for LD past 10 models. Again we also have to consider that GW while they make the rules they never test them with rules lawyers to see how they can be broken. The intent here with the statement that they count as fearless at 11 models or more is that their general stat line never goes above 10.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well with modifiers they arent really the stat.. like tank hunter.. it says that it adds plus 1 to your roll when going against armor.. it doesnt say that it adds +1 to your Str. I dont know about the BT one though as I dont have a BT codex with me anywhere but thats the general idea. Bloodfeeders again dont modify your base stat they just add on to it. So the basic idea that stats cant be raised above 10 is true. I personally have never seen anything other than Attacks being able to go above 10 though. I've seen a lot of people talk about LD going above 10 with things like Imp Guard untill I ask how they worked it out and then I point out certain things that arent allowed to stack.

I know the new Orks say that they use their squad size untill they reach 11 or more at which point they count as fearless.. then you have the BGB which states that stats cap at 10 so for Weirdboyz their LD caps at 10 since you cant use the squad size for LD past 10 models. Again we also have to consider that GW while they make the rules they never test them with rules lawyers to see how they can be broken. The intent here with the statement that they count as fearless at 11 models or more is that their general stat line never goes above 10.
So where do you stand on dreadnoughts with furious charge or a warboss charging with a power klaw? (both are striking theoretically at str 11)

Also, if a squad with a 10 Ld falls back behind cover, they get a +1 modifier to their Ld for regrouping, bringing it to 11...in theory. Really, either the statement that all stats are rated from 0 to 10 either applies to everything or it doesn't apply to modified stats.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts